All-round float rod

Dom Andrew

Hi everyone. I'm looking for an all-round float rod which is green or brown in colour, or any other colour so longe as it is not black :rolleyes: . I'm not looking for anything multicoloured or gaudy but, somthing that will blend in with nature B) . I'm aware that Hardy have a new range of coarse rods which are moss green but, they are way beyond my budget. Any sugestios anyone?

Dom.

I agree, this obsession with black really is a bore. I have a Masterline lure rod that is moss green so it can be done, even if you have to do it yourself. Doubtless some saddo company does RealTree camo carp rods to match their RealTree cammo carp thongs/bite indicators/tooth picks/ carp reels and carp luggage but I reckon that is even sadder than regulation carp black! A nice varnished, golden split cane colour would be good.

Edited by Peter Waller

Hi everyone. I'm looking for an all-round float rod which is green or brown in colour, or any other colour so longe as it is not black :rolleyes: . I'm not looking for anything multicoloured or gaudy but, somthing that will blend in with nature B) . I'm aware that Hardy have a new range of coarse rods which are moss green but, they are way beyond my budget. Any sugestios anyone?

Dom.

What's your budget and will the colour really rule out certain rods? Black is boring yes but it's the colour of my new Drennan 14ft Ultralight float rod and I'm very glad I bought it (£120).

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

My Kamasan carp rod is a beautiful maroon, whilst my 13ft Match rod is a bright blue, I've still got a lovely built cane rod thats a joy to look at and hold

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Any sugestions anyone?

Dom.

Buy whatever rod you fancy and spray it with an aerosol car paint in the colour of your choice.

I've done a couple of mine in matt black for fishing the clear waters of the Hants Avon; now that they've been used a bit and knocked around they look like s**t, but I can confidently leave them on a rod rest, go for a wander around, and know they'll still be there when I get back, (unless a horse has eaten them of course).

If you look after them there's no reason why they shouldn't remain looking good , but mine never go in bags or anything like that they just get bundled up together with a couple of rod bands.

Buy whatever rod you fancy and spray it with an aerosol car paint in the colour of your choice.

I've done a couple of mine in matt black for fishing the clear waters of the Hants Avon; now that they've been used a bit and knocked around they look like s**t, but I can confidently leave them on a rod rest, go for a wander around, and know they'll still be there when I get back, (unless a horse has eaten them of course).

That reminds me, some years ago I had a static caravan at Emberton Park, several of the caravan were broken into including mine, loads of gear was stolen, they stole my small box with a couple of Abu reels and spools but the rods and landing net were dumped in the hedge, they were crap, but they caught fish :D

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Thanks everyone. I'm new to all these forums and still feeling my way around. I wasn't quite sure what the response would be? It's nice to know that some of you are on my wavelength B) . I'm from the Crabtree era :) . I started fishing in the 60's. Though I've never owned a cane rod, I was surrounded by them and always hoped to be able to afford one eventually. Of course, technology has moved on unfortunatly and, I'll be too self-concsious to fish with one now. The sort of price range for an all-round float rod (which doesn't look like an aerial as Chris Yates says) would be around £60 to £80 mark, or cheaper <_< . I suppose I could get myself an old fibreglass rod from ebay, they are usually brownish.

I still have some fiberglass rods and for some uses, I prefer them to the graphite rods.

However, if they are really old ones, you will want to at least replace the rings and wrappings and by the time you do that, you could probably pick up a new rod that suited youfor not much more money. If you don't like black, don't buy black.

As to the rest, we have a great mix of old, medium, and young anglers on here. I started fishing in the late '40s and there are some who have been at it lots longer than I have along with some who started only a few months ago.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi there,

Well finding a rod with a blank colour other than black or dark grey is quite difficult, as you say the Hardy is expensive, the only other option i know of is the Browning Syntec force range, 12ft through to 15 ft and with prices starting at £45.00 to £70.00 within your budget.

See here http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/RODS/br890match.htm

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.