What braid you Recommend?

DanIOW

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 24 2006, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: I've got Dynon that's been in use for over 10 years and never been broken by a fish. It's a bit thicker than the more modern braids though. I hate the Penn blue fluffy string but I've heard it's better now but I'll take some convincing, it was so bad for so long. Spiderwire is great but expensive here, much cheaper in the states. My favourite used to be Ron Thompson Dynacable but they changed its format and I don't like the new stuff as much. I hear the ' PowerPro' stuff from Snowbee is ok too but not tried it yet.

I don't think you can beat Whiplash on price at the moment if you shop around. If you want larger spools than 300 yards look at Shakespeare, they're doing 550 yard spools, and Sharnbrook tackle do 600 yard plus spools. I personally don't use less than 300 yards and prefer 500 plus. :clap2:

Hi Norm the original Penn dynabraid was flat in section but has been rounded for 8 years at least. It's all i use on my own and hire reels and I have never had a problem with it.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 24 2006, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Hi Norm the original Penn dynabraid was flat in section but has been rounded for 8 years at least. It's all i use on my own and hire reels and I have never had a problem with it.

yes ian but if you had to buy it, would you?? ;)

i have been using 80lb XP TUFF on one of my reels for skatefishing and i do like it though it's hard to get here

also have used most b/s of fireline over the past few years and can't fault it except it gets a bit hairy after a while, but then i need all the hair i can get :lol:

one of my other skate reels with the 50lb stuff on it has a knot in the middle and we have had skate to 190lb+ on it, mind you i'm always glad to see it on the reel :headhurt:

BTW most braids snap well over their stated b/s, diabolos had some 50lb fireline tested at the daiwa factory on proper testing equipment and 2 samples snapped at 87 lb and 92lbs, tie a knot in the middle, lose 30%, still 60lb b/s

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

[quote

Ahem...cough cough !!!!!! :D:D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Fireline (smoke) without a doubt. Smooth as silk through the rings, excellent abrasion resistence and pretty damned hard to birdsnest with a correctly set up reel. Lasts years longer than mono, especially if you reverse the spool after a while.

Whichever braid you end up going for, make sure you don't get one that runs through your rings like a hacksaw blade. It'll do your head in. :)

yes ian but if you had to buy it, would you?? ;)

i have been using 80lb XP TUFF on one of my reels for skatefishing and i do like it though it's hard to get here

also have used most b/s of fireline over the past few years and can't fault it except it gets a bit hairy after a while, but then i need all the hair i can get :lol:

one of my other skate reels with the 50lb stuff on it has a knot in the middle and we have had skate to 190lb+ on it, mind you i'm always glad to see it on the reel :headhurt:

BTW most braids snap well over their stated b/s, diabolos had some 50lb fireline tested at the daiwa factory on proper testing equipment and 2 samples snapped at 87 lb and 92lbs, tie a knot in the middle, lose 30%, still 60lb b/s

:clap2: TUFF line is available from Sharnbrook Tackle, (www.sharnbrooktackle.com) great line and it casts well, 600/1,000 yd spools too, just what I like. Fireline's great and cheap too if you shop around for the deals. PowerPro I've not tried but I've heard good things about it from one of my testers. The blue Penn stuff was so bad for so long I lost faith in it, I'm told it's better now but as I get given most, if not all of my line, I've no reason to try it.

The reason braid breaks well above its stated BS is because a bad knot will weaken it by 50%, so the manufacturers play safe and consider every angler ties bad knots so label it accordingly. :clap2: