Tying feeders to your line

iamlucky18

Hi guys.

I was wondering what the different methods are to tie feeders to your main line, and which methods are better than others etc.? I've got lots of info on how and where to feeder fish, but not how to set-up the tackle etc.

Any help is much appreciated.

hi

simple way

just thread the feeder on to the line and then add a ledger stop or a BB split shot

then tie on your hook

you should now have a feeder thats free to run up the line bait up fill feeder and cast out

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

One small, silly but important thing. If you're using a maggot feeder, put the hook bait on before filling the feeder. I've seen many a pile of maggots on the floor from people not doing it. :doh:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

One small, silly but important thing. If you're using a maggot feeder, put the hook bait on before filling the feeder. I've seen many a pile of maggots on the floor from people not doing it. :doh:

another lil tip, just before you cast dip the feeder in the water quickly to stop them pesky things from escaping during flight.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

and don`t forget to clip up.Acuracy is paramount.Keep the feed tight and you should catch lots.

I sometimes stun my maggots by rolling them under palm of my hand on the knee,they stop wrigling for the while,giving me chance to cast acurately.

The same apply to hookbate wrigleys-sometimes(soft bottom venues)it stops them burrying in silt.

Hot coffee poured over maggots kills them dead :) .

I tend to use a simple anti-tangle rig, a link bead drilled out to accept a 75-125m length of plastic tube super glued into the hole. You simply pass the line through the tube, starting at the link end, place a BB shot or ledger stop under the tube to give yourself the required hook length and attach the feeder to the link. As soon as the weight goes on the line, the tube will sit out at right angles keeping your hooklink away from the feeder when casting. I also add a little soft heat shrink type tubing over the link to avoid catching the line when realing in.

As the line runs direct through the rig, you will still see the bites and knocks, if teh line gets snagged by a fish and breaks above the hooklink the rig will just drop off. Simple and safe for the fish.

I would never advise the use of a split shot to stop a feeder; with anything except the very lightest of feeders there is a risk of the feeder slipping and knocking the hook out of a fish.

A swivel used as a stop is foolproof and also allows hooklengths to be changed at will.

I would never advise the use of a split shot to stop a feeder; with anything except the very lightest of feeders there is a risk of the feeder slipping and knocking the hook out of a fish.

A swivel used as a stop is foolproof and also allows hooklengths to be changed at will.

Also, to stop a hefty loaded feeder slipping the shot has to be pinched on so hard you'll be damaging the line.

A leger stop is better, but close inspection will show that these also pinch the line.

ANother vote here for a swivel, with a soft bead just above it.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I use a system that is pretty effective. No shot- no stoppers etc

Although it quite difficult to explain it is simple and quick Here goes.......

Take the feeder (or ledger)- attach a clip swivel

Thread it on the line

Tie a simple bow of about three feet with the feeder running in the loop (Three feet for rivers -shorter for still water)

The tie a very small loop at the business end for your hooklength, make sure the small loop is tied with tension on both sides of the large loop.

Basically if after you have tied the small loop and one side of the loop containing the feeder is loose, you should start again. The reason for this is you wont get good pick up on striking

I know this sounds like nonsense, but it is much easier to do when shown(like most things)- but I saw it in Anglers Mail about 15 yrs ago and have never used anything else

I have attached A diagram ( tastefully done in the style of a five year old)

Hope it helps

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes