Efgeeco Tackle Boxes & old rubbish.

Peter Waller

Do you remember them? Green canvas affairs on a steel frame. Definately not waterproof, the frame rusted in no time and the hardboard inserts went all limp. Great weren't they!! I fished one out of a skip the other day. I then spent hours cleaning the rust off and hammeriting the frame. Reproofed the canvas with a green wood preserver, looks great, almost like new. But why, don't suppose I shall ever use it!?

Which leads me to the inevitable question, why do so many anglers collect, and even use yesterdays rubbish? With so much modern, good gear available why buy old gear at often silly prices? Okay, so such as the ABU 500 series are still incredible, but they are a rarity. Most of it is fit for little else but memories, isn't it?

[ 26. November 2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general I tend to agree with you Peter.Some exceptions though.Take the ABU Ambassadeur reels.IMO any built after 1980 are of a far inferior quality to there predecessors.Allthough

that can be said for a lot of ABU tackle!

I think a lot of old tackle is brought to relive/realise boyhood ambitions.A lot of the stuff we dreamed of owning as kids but couldnt afford.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

Take the ABU Ambassadeur reels.IMO any built after 1980 are of a far inferior quality to there predecessors.

I quite agree with you there. I have a couple of Abu 5001Cs from the early and mid 70s and they have had nothing done to them since then - other than the routine clean and services I give them. Not one new part. However, a 6001C I bought in the early 90s is worn out! I'm more than a little disappointed about that!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I still use an old Shakespeare International Match.(Reel) Except for a bit of chipped enamel its as good as they day I bought it.

Can't understand why people still want to use rods made out of wood though.

A mate of mine had one of the Efgeeco canvas box seats, and their 'roll up' for his rods. Really thought he was the dogs b's

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

"I think a lot of old tackle is brought to relive/realise boyhood ambitions.A lot of the stuff we dreamed of owning as kids but couldnt afford. "

spot on...

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

It's the same with so many things these days. I read ain interesting article on BBC News yesterday about fridges and how they are made cheaply and are pretty much disposable these days. If the condensor goes in one these days you throw the fridge away and buy a whole new one, because a replacement part will cost you £200 to have fitted, or you can buy a whole new fridge for £250!

And just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's necessarily better. Take these new digital (DAB) radios. Walk into a shop and you can buy one for about £100. Look to the left and chances are you'll see a much higher-tec DVD player for just £30!

Mitchell 300's for example. Get an older one (pre-80's) and they will last a lifetime, buy a later one and they aren't usually worth the box they came in. Production was moved from France to Taiwan and quality deteriorated.

awaaar:

"I think a lot of old tackle is brought to relive/realise boyhood ambitions.A lot of the stuff we dreamed of owning as kids but couldnt afford. "

spot on...

I did just that the other day. Years ago I always remembered dreaming of owning a reel I saw in an Abu Tight Lines catalogue. It just looked so hi-tec. The reel was an ABU Cardinal 853 (well, the 85? series). New they were over £50 and not something I could afford back then.

I just bought one in mint-condition off eBay for £7!

Almost all of what is known as "Brown Goods" is hardly worth considering a repair.

VCR's used to cost upwards of £600, now they can hardly be given away, same with CD/DVD equipment.

Anyone want to buy some cheap laser assemblies ? Some cost me over £40-00

And to think I used to long for a Hardy Matchmaker. Now a £20-00 rod would be better.

[ 26. November 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: wearyone ]

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

When I saw the first fixed spool reel I ever saw, an Omnia Le Super, I wanted one more than life. It was years before I was able to buy one. They cost 2 quid in the mid 50s! I used it so much I wore it out! During my recent trip to the UK I told John Mason the story of it all and he gave me one in mint condition! It sits on my desk here now!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.