Awesome Action with pics

Blake

Whats the fish in the second picture Tim?

Bowfin Budgie. Not a "bowfin budgie" but a Bowfin.... Mr Burgess :rolleyes:

I actually caught two of them on the same day, miles apart. One I saw cruising and dropped a senko in its path, the second took a tube cast at an inside turn on a weedbed. Also got a flathead catfish on a senko the same day. About 15lb and didn't half give me a tow around on medium bass gear! There were loads of gar (not aligator) cruising about under the surface too, but I couldn't tempt any of them.

I did manage a largemouth in the end that day, much to everyone's amusement, but enjoyed the various bag more.

Tim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like good fun Tim.Both the times Ive fished for Bass Ive only caught Large Mouth or Crappie.Good fun but I think its much better when you get a variety.

Never caught a Bowfin but like I said I had really got it in my head they were more Gar shaped sort of a cross between a Gar and a Paddle Fish.Sure I saw a picture of one on the G.A.S.S site.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Nope. Bog standard bowfin

Shedd_Bowfin.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nope. Bog standard bowfin

Shedd_Bowfin.gif

Only one kind of bowfin, Amia calva, last of an ancient group of fish (~200 MYA). I hope to catch one this summer. They are pretty common up here in Minnesota in the Mississippi River.

Dave Dawis

Bowfin in that pic Budgie. Great fighter but the worst teeth you'll ever see on a fresh water fish I've ever seen. Common in the Mississippi River area once you get south as far as Arkansas and found further north. AKA grinnel & cypress trout. Can breath air for quite a while if needed and very heat tolerant so you find them in some really interesting places.

I have never been able to salvage a lure once I caught a bowfin on it. Damaged beyond repair.

And no wonder with teeth like this!

amia_palate.jpg

Edited by D Dawis

A very impressive set of dentures!

Yes, and that's while I pray I remember not to use the standard lip hold when I pull my first bowfin out of the water! I'd be kissing my thumb goodbye!

Maybe it was my denture shot that scared poor Blake away! ;)

Dave D.