BBC's Trawlermen

ColinW

As I said earlier, I only watched one programme. I found it depressing watching that great big trawler struggling to find fish, and then seeing the dregs of what's left in the sea dragged to the surface. The fishermen's excitement at what was, in my opinion, a **** poor catch didn't help matters either. It just proved how bad things have become and how they will keep going until there is nothing left.

I know that some forum users found it interesting, and that's fair enough, but it hardly showed commercial fishing in a good light. Seeing huge boats bristling with the latest technology struggling to find anything worth landing doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I would have been happier if it had shown that the sea is still full of quality fish, like we are often told it is.

They were all happy enough with thier grossings from the market. to show a few duff hauls just shows reality, thats fishing , it's never been any different , it's what you end up with at the end of the year that counts.

Did you not notice the very large cod all the boats caught?(even though they were not cod fishing) they went to great pains to show them off. I wonder why? could it be that somebody told them big cod don't exist any more.

We caught some qualty fish like skate ,bass and dover sole this last trip same as I did the trip before that and the one before that , plenty of quality fish.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angling is also worth lots of money to the UK economy, did you conceder that point Mr. Challenge?

Maybe the catching sector is worried that Mr. G. Brown has realized that if managed correctly angling has the potential to give a more constant return to our economy than commercial fishing.

I think and really do think that anglers have now got commercial fishermen worried, and this with just a very small amount of anglers arguing the point. Try and imagine what clout angling would have if we all spoke and fought together!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

The true cost bit, I don't understand what you mean.

The bravery bit, I know exactly what you mean. Real bravery is doing something that you really don't want to do. It doesn't matter whether it's shovelling ****, or going over the top of a first world war trench. Most commercial fishermen love being at sea, so I can't call them brave. The same as most firemen love going into burning buildings. That isn't bravery, it's doing what you love.

In my eyes, cut backs are the government reducing the number of jobs to save money, and ruining the service, (whatever service it is), in the bargain. What that chap in the article described as cuts, weren't cuts at all. It's just an industry not being able to sustain itself. Like Ken said, it happens in the buildiong industry all the time. I was laid off many times when I was self employed in the building industry, most of the time it was just before Christmas! I wouldn't describe it as cuts though.

The true cost bit, I don't understand what you mean.

The bravery bit, I know exactly what you mean. Real bravery is doing something that you really don't want to do. It doesn't matter whether it's shovelling ****, or going over the top of a first world war trench. Most commercial fishermen love being at sea, so I can't call them brave. The same as most firemen love going into burning buildings. That isn't bravery, it's doing what you love.

In my eyes, cut backs are the government reducing the number of jobs to save money, and ruining the service, (whatever service it is), in the bargain. What that chap in the article described as cuts, weren't cuts at all. It's just an industry not being able to sustain itself. Like Ken said, it happens in the buildiong industry all the time. I was laid off many times when I was self employed in the building industry, most of the time it was just before Christmas! I wouldn't describe it as cuts though.

hi steve

if the goverment implement the BMP it will cost the taxpayer millions i do not here you bleating on about that and because the BMP will not work it will be a waste of taxpayers money

regards steve

The cost of implementing the BMP will be minimal.

If the BMP is implemented, and RSA activity increases as suspected, VAT returns from increased angling expenditure will be many millions.

(Following the recovery of the USA Recreational Striped Bass Fishery between 1981 and 1996 the consequential expenditure increased from $85 million to $560 million over the same period by anglers fishing for striped bass - Current spend by some 4440,000 UK bass anglers is around £10million. A better 'product' in the way of more and bigger bass is expected to increase the number of anglers and the amount each spends quite significantly)

The bmp will work, if implemented as envisaged.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

hi steve

if the goverment implement the BMP it will cost the taxpayer millions i do not here you bleating on about that and because the BMP will not work it will be a waste of taxpayers money

regards steve

Sorry Steve, I can't see the logic behind what you've said there. How will the BMP cost the tax payer anything? I think you may be getting your wires crossed about what I am actually saying. I was addressing some points thaty the chap made in the article that I consider to be rubbish. The true cost of fish and chips, bravery of fishermen and cuts to the fishing fleet were the points I was addressing. If you want to talk about wasting tax payers money we'll have to start a whole new thread, or even a whole new forum, to be able to discuss that!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge
Angling is also worth lots of money to the UK economy, did you conceder that point Mr. Challenge?

Maybe the catching sector is worried that Mr. G. Brown has realized that if managed correctly angling has the potential to give a more constant return to our economy than commercial fishing.

I think and really do think that anglers have now got commercial fishermen worried, and this with just a very small amount of anglers arguing the point. Try and imagine what clout angling would have if we all spoke and fought together!

Yes I do realise that angling is worth a lot to the government Mr Sam Cox,

I happen to work on a very successful angling charter boat working from a port with many successful angling boats. We also have successful commercial fishing boats working from our port, all contributing to Mr G Brown’s big bank in the sky.

I have said before, I have yet to come across a commercial fisherman who is worried about what a few recreational anglers say, and I don’t think they would be worried if a lot of recreational anglers where saying the same thing.

I did see the commercial fishermen on the BBC programme loosing any sleep or blaming anybody but them selves when there net came up empty. Did you?

I could imagine what clout we would have if all recreational anglers believed in the same things, believed in the same way of getting those things and all had the same conviction to fight for the things they believed in.

Unfortunately the few of us who come on here cannot agree on most things, we can agree on a few things, unfortunately if we cannot even agree if a BBC programme was a waste of the license paying public money or not is a good marker at the differences we have in regards as to the people who we have to share the seas with.

Regards.

The cost of implementing the BMP will be minimal.

If the BMP is implemented, and RSA activity increases as suspected, VAT returns from increased angling expenditure will be many millions.

(Following the recovery of the USA Recreational Striped Bass Fishery between 1981 and 1996 the consequential expenditure increased from $85 million to $560 million over the same period by anglers fishing for striped bass - Current spend by some 4440,000 UK bass anglers is around £10million. A better 'product' in the way of more and bigger bass is expected to increase the number of anglers and the amount each spends quite significantly)

The bmp will work, if implemented as envisaged.

Hi Leon I hope 4440,000 is a typo error if not there will be no bass left to manage

Hi Leon I hope 4440,000 is a typo error if not there will be no bass left to manage

OOOOPs!

Must get a new keyboad - this one is no good since Brenda decided to remove the food particles and coffee dregs from around the keys.

should have been 440,000

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest challenge
Interesting. More or fever charter boats than 20 years ago?

I would imagine that there is certainly fewer. I cannot give you numbers on this one as twenty years ago I was catching fish for a living and therefore did not pay much attention to what was going on in the charter fishing world.

How some things never change? But others do.

Regards.