Bradshaw fouls up.

Steve Coppolo

I just hope there's some seriously scathing press releases flying around from all the angling bodies involved. 45cm was the half measure wasn't it? 55cm was the ultimate goal.

40cm with a review in 2010 represents 'Naff All' again, considering the level of response they received.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Summary of Responses, and DEFRA's responses to points and issues raised, makes interesting reading .

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...ses-summary.pdf

(Norm, A quick look suggests that Sea Angling News is the only Sea Angling Publication to warrent a mention!)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

INDUSTRY hopes that the Government would think again over a minimum size move were dashed today when it was announced that the minimum landing size for sea bass is to be increased to "improve and sustain" the fishery......

................Paul Trebilcock, chief executive of the Cornish Fish Producers' Organisation said: "This will do nothing to save bass and is merely a sop to the anglers."

"We will certainly be investigating as to whether this move is prejudicial to British fishermen and in the meantime we have to ask if Mr Bradshaw is now minister for angling rather than for fisheries."

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...announced_.html

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Doubtless Herr Bradshaw, when asked about refusal to cut quotas in the next round of euro fishing talks. Will smugly state that he is behind `conservation`, quoting the measures he has already imposed regarding bass? He may even call the measures `severe`.

Of course Joe Public will believe him. `Cos our ministers don`t lie. :headhurt:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

It is a cop out - but thats politics

With all the delay I was expecting no change, but 40cm does nothing to anybody, however, the consultation happened as a direct result of RSA. Therefore RSA has just increased the MLS to 40cm despite all the lies and misunderstanding spouted by the CFs. This will benefit all anglers and CFs in time.

Realistically, BB is playing politics but thats his game so expect nothing less. We need to keep things in perspective. The summary of responses is very interesting reading and gives an indication about what weight they put on certain arguments. Its great intelligience for the future.

This is a result then - just not as good a result as it could be - but still a result.

RSA lives to fight another day, and its better armed and aware because of this. The work put into all of this by the RSA individuals involved is huge and I thank them for it. My young son will thank them too when he grows up and starts catching good sized fish as a direct result of this, plus the measures that will undoubtedly come if RSA keeps at it.

The RSA argument is a great one- because the fish is it at the heart of it (rather than someones wallet).

Get this!

The South West Federation of Sea Anglers which states that it represents some 25 clubs and 2500 members proposed that the mls remain the same saying bass stocks were healthy and more double figure bass were landed by it's members in 2005 than the previous 7 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry:

With friends like these, who...................UNBELIEVABLE

Sharkbyte, have you only just noticed such loyalty to fellow anglers from supposed other fellow anglers? i wonder if other people like me are being blanked by there own sfc's? and even worse there new respective rsa's reps that that sit on these committees, who can you trust eh? as for the the decision on the mls increase well what a WASTE OF TIME, i feel sorry for the guys that have put so much time and own money into there efforts only to be rewarded with such a pathetic decision, never mind leon you and the others can do it all again after 2010 cant you???? as for me (with my much smaller efforts) a lot depended on this decision with my willingness to get more involved with future issues but with these types of results as an incentive i no longer feel that keen anymore........................

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Sharkbyte, have you only just noticed such loyalty to fellow anglers from supposed other fellow anglers? i wonder if other people like me are being blanked by there own sfc's? and even worse there new respective rsa's reps that that sit on these committees, who can you trust eh? as for the the decision on the mls increase well what a WASTE OF TIME, i feel sorry for the guys that have put so much time and own money into there efforts only to be rewarded with such a pathetic decision, never mind leon you and the others can do it all again after 2010 cant you???? as for me (with my much smaller efforts) a lot depended on this decision with my willingness to get more involved with future issues but with these types of results as an incentive i no longer feel that keen anymore........................

You may not like the fact, but I believe its true. I`ve not noticed any shortage of bass from the Hants coast to Lands end either. In fact I`m willing to bet, that this weekend when Norrie comes sarf for his anual bass bash, we`ll be throwing them back. Not just because we`re conservationists either.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

"We will certainly be investigating as to whether this move is prejudicial to British fishermen and in the meantime we have to ask if Mr Bradshaw is now minister for angling rather than for fisheries."

Typical knee jerk reaction - Mr Trebilcock doesn't know whether the proposal is prejudicial to British fishermen (commercial interests) so they'll investigate, meanwhile he'll just kick out and try to grab emotional headlines.

I'm stuggling to find the words to express my disapointment and anger at the futility of an increase to 40cm .

From the summary of the consultation responses (which appear to be very slanted) the main influencing factor appears to be to set the MLS to match the mesh size of 100mm, rather than the other way around.

Well Ben - as others have stated I would rather go fishing elsewhere (freshwater or abraod) than pay for an angling licence now - you have had your chance and blown it.

What a wasted opportunity.

Steve Pitts