Bradshaw fouls up.

Steve Coppolo

I have to share and express my dissapointment at the outcome of the consultation , the only glimmer of hope is the fact that the MLS has been raised and the reaction of the commercials, it will be interesting reading in next weeks FN.

From the summary of response , it is clear that there was a large number of standard response and it would appear there was 66 responses investigated ,supporting option 2 that where rejected.

That aside there was clearly a large number of non standard responses from RSA and other stakeholder organisations supporting option 2 .

my initial anger has slightly subsided, but my opinion has not changed , this really does not offer RSA anything, an increase to 40cm and mesh size of 100mm.

Below are some general thoughts in no particular order.

“which brings it closer to the average spawning size” only closer so not the average spawning size.

“a review in 2010�� so a wait of another 5 years , there will be a major change in govt by then (Blair gone or a new party in power)

from page 7 of the summary section 18

“the final decision based on the evaluation of the costs and benefits “ , this suggests commercial interests only , what about potential benefits and growth etc

I also found it disturbing the number of anglers / charters who voted option one , who is the SWFSA , considering the southwest is a major angling heart land.

The minister received a number of letter from mp’s supporting option 2 .

cheers

Tom

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we didn't get the mls we wanted, but we are likely to get a sea fishing licence and bag limits imposed upon us..........................good deal.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

This outcome resolves nothing infact Bradshaw has made a complete a**e of himself.

Political parties can make all the cockups they want apart from messing with my angling, nothing would make me change sides quicker than this bit of stupidity.

I will continue to support my local Labour councilor as he is a good man and does a lot for the local community, BUT in the general election they can kiss my nether regions.

I don't object to bag limits as I impose them on myself, but they can take their rod licence and stuff it where the monkey stores nuts.

Being slightly cynical was the timing of the news delayed until a point in time when it would be drowned behind other major events?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Being slightly cynical was the timing of the news delayed until a point in time when it would be drowned behind other major events?

Or swanning off on their (and our tax expenced) extended months of summer holidays with their bumchums, oops sorry ben, ducky, no offence taken i hope? not...................

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Just take a look at the charter boats websites for the S.West. Try and find a skipper that doesn`t target bass during the summer/autumn months when the tides are suitable, unless they are after the even more profitable tope/shark market.

Sorry, but the bass are there. And concealing the truth will just make us look foolish. Why do you think the west country lads moan about Peterhead boats coming down. Do you think they steam all that way for nothing? :wallbash:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

This is a result then - just not as good a result as it could be - but still a result.

You must be having laugh Julian? Are you serious?

The only result is that Ben Bradshaw and the Labour government have shown exactly what they think of RSA. They have proved the likes of Mel Russ and Wurzel to be exactly right when they said we were being played for suckers by the government because they want our money in the form of licence fees.

RSA must now let Ben Bradshaw know in no uncertain terms that he's lost the angling vote. He must be told that his 40cm MLS has benefitted no one, and that he can forget bag limits and licences for sea anglers.

What a complete mess. How anyone can consider this as even the slightest victory I don't know. We've been shafted good and proper, so please don't any of our "representatives" have the nerve to even think about thanking Bradshaw for using vaseline on our behalf.

And while we're at it, where are all the press releases that the NFSA, BASS and SACN should have had prepared in readiness for such an eventuality? Or did they really believe that it wouldn't happen?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

What a complete and utter debacle. A shameful outcome.

Clearly Recreactional Sea Anglers have no political influence or clout. A properly unified body would call for a three month ban on all recreational angling. The amount of social and economic benefit the country gets out of us is enormous, more so than commercial fishing. The boot is on the wrong foot and until radical steps are taken and the tackle industry particularly becomes more supportive our sport will continue to decline. In this country we have it all wrong. By way of example in the USofA the Isaac Walton league runs fly-fishing. What they propose goes and legislation is formed around their recreational needs. Not that we need to adopt Americanisms to our daily way of life, but they are light years ahead in terms of attitudes and policy on fish conservation and angling.

For immediate release:

10 August 2006

Bass Minimum Landing Size Announcement

Labour’s Parliamentary Spokesman for Angling, Martin Salter MP, today gave a guarded welcome to the announcement by Fisheries Minister Ben Bradshaw to increase the Minimum Landing Size for bass from 36cm to 40cm in English coastal waters. This follows an intensive campaign by the Bass Anglers Sportsfish Society (B.A.S.S.) which Mr Salter supported and arranged for representatives to have direct negotiations with Ben Bradshaw following a National Angling Summit last year.

Martin Salter said:

“I’m pleased that Ben Bradshaw has accepted the arguments for a bigger Minimum Landing Size to give better protection to bass stocks in the face of a quite vitriolic campaign run by commercial fishing interests who always put their own financial concerns ahead of what is best for the marine environment. I realise that many sea anglers will be disappointed that Ben Bradshaw has not gone for the immediate 45cm limit that they wanted but in my view this is a step in the right direction and we do have a commitment from the government to further increase the minimum landing size in 2010. The government clearly recognises the advantages in promoting recreational sea angling and I am looking forward to further announcements in due course.”

Martin Salter rejected criticisms from the Countryside Alliance, who described the decision as a political fudge. Mr Salter said:

“As usual the Countryside Alliance has not lifted a finger to help bass anglers in their battle with commercial fishing interests and yet has been all too quick to criticise when we achieve some worthwhile progress regarding measures which will help protect fish stocks around our coasts.”

The new minimum landing size will take effect from April 6th 2007.

-ENDS-

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The show is still on the road, and we are going forward

- Strategy for the Development of RSA

- Protection for tope and other elasmobranchs

- 'Modernisation' of SFCs

- Launch of the Mullet management Plan

- The Golden Mile

- The Marine Bill and MPAs (actually we are fighting to defend our position here, as much as gaining any benefit from fish stocks)

- Protection for bass extended into the EU (40cm is going to be a lot easier to sell as an EU wide measure than 45cm!)

- Increase of bass mls to 55cm and a review sooner than 2010

Oh! and a few other things to boot!!!

As soon as I've drowned my sorrows and finished this second bottle of whisky (and started on the third - the champagne will wait for another day), and recovered from the hangover, I'm picking up my kit and getting back on that road.

Anyone else coming along, or is everyone going to sit down and die now? :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

For immediate release:

10 August 2006

Bass Minimum Landing Size Announcement

Labour’s Parliamentary Spokesman for Angling, Martin Salter MP, today gave a guarded welcome to the announcement by Fisheries Minister Ben Bradshaw to increase the Minimum Landing Size for bass from 36cm to 40cm in English coastal waters. This follows an intensive campaign by the Bass Anglers Sportsfish Society (B.A.S.S.) which Mr Salter supported and arranged for representatives to have direct negotiations with Ben Bradshaw following a National Angling Summit last year.

Martin Salter said:

“I’m pleased that Ben Bradshaw has accepted the arguments for a bigger Minimum Landing Size to give better protection to bass stocks in the face of a quite vitriolic campaign run by commercial fishing interests who always put their own financial concerns ahead of what is best for the marine environment. I realise that many sea anglers will be disappointed that Ben Bradshaw has not gone for the immediate 45cm limit that they wanted but in my view this is a step in the right direction and we do have a commitment from the government to further increase the minimum landing size in 2010. The government clearly recognises the advantages in promoting recreational sea angling and I am looking forward to further announcements in due course.”

Martin Salter rejected criticisms from the Countryside Alliance, who described the decision as a political fudge. Mr Salter said:

“As usual the Countryside Alliance has not lifted a finger to help bass anglers in their battle with commercial fishing interests and yet has been all too quick to criticise when we achieve some worthwhile progress regarding measures which will help protect fish stocks around our coasts.”

The new minimum landing size will take effect from April 6th 2007.

-ENDS-

What a complete heap of rubbish! :wallbash::wallbash:

What the hell does Martin Salter think has been achieved exactly? If only some bass start spawn at 42cm, what is the logic behind an MLS of 40cm? It IS a fudge, just like the Countryside Alliance say it is.

And on the subject of the Countryside Alliance, when sea angling "representatives" were being buttered up with a load of false promises and lies a few years ago, they were also told that if they ever teamed up with the Countryside Alliance they would be dead in the water. The reason I know this is because a few years ago I was contacted personally by someone from the CA who was interested in joining forces. I ran the idea past a few of our "representatives" and was told to drop the idea sharpish. The above was the reason I was given. I now wish I'd gone with my own instinct and got involved with them.

Salter says all will be well in 2010. Rubbish. By then the bass stocks will be on their arse and we'll have a new government. 2010 is irrelevant and is just a figure given by Bradshaw because he knows full well he'll be out of it by then.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.