A week at the Mull

Snatcher

isleofmanfrommull.jpg

The Isle of Man and the end of the Mull snapped from Drummore

I arrived late on the Friday night and could not wait to get fishing. The only problem being I had already had "Lads Week" there :( The plan was not to be selfish and curtail my fishing a bit. I knew that Manxman was at Drummore for a full three weeks so the plan was to meet up with him at some stage.

shorestreet.jpg

Shore Sreet Drummore on my walk down to The Ship

After a quick text agreed to meet him at dusk on the Saturday night for a bit of high water bass plugging. John kindly picked me up from my caravan and off we set to a preordained spot on the shore of Luce Bay. We arrived about two hours before hw and started plugging away. Not a touch between us :( As the light started to fail and high water was upon us I got an almighty take. I shouted to John who was about 60 yds away "fish on". It was a fair lump and was taking line against the drag! After about 30 secs I shouted to John "fish off". That is bass fishing for you. After another few mins a very big fish slashed at his popper. By the surface disturbance you would think that someone had chucked in a large boulder! We gave it another half hour before headindg back to Drummore. Happy chappies though :)

boars.jpg

Wild boars at the back of Terrally Bay

My next fishing venture seen me up at 03.45am :sun: Went to another venue with big Colin from my site and we started plugging in total darkness. First cast a had a good take and had a great scrap off the biggest mackeral I have ever caught. My first mackeral on a popper. Colin was having reel trouble and decided to pack in so that left me alone with a hint of sunrise in the sky. Got four smashing takes and got 4 bass to 3lb before the sun rose.Once the sun was on the water all activity seemed to stop so I packed in one happy chappie.

girls.jpg

The "girls" outside my caravan with Luce Bay in the background

On the Tuesday morning I decided to try for more of the same. Got there about the same time and had arranged to meet tack4 and another couple of lads there. Got a smashing take after a few minutes and could not do a thing with this one(despite having on 15lb mono and a correctly set clutch) :headhurt: It eventually took me into the weed and threw the hook.The bass kept on coming though and got 3 fish to 3lb. By the time tack4 and my other mates turned up the fish again had appeared to go off the feed. Tack4 missed one on fly though :( Packed in but not before getting a picture of sunrise over Luce Bay

lucebay.jpg

Sunrise over Luce Bay

On the Tuesday afternoon took my good lady to East Tarbet float fishing for pollack. She beat me 4-1,she always does!!! None of them big fish but good sport on a nice day. She did lose a big fish though that dived into the rocks.Most enjoyable sport. We then packed in and went to Terrally and fed the wild boars apples and carrots. Bumped into Ourwullie88 whilst there.

bass.jpg

Bass at sunrise.

Met up with my mate Chris again next morning well before sunrise at the same spot and we never touched a fish. This is bass fishing for you.They are nomadic so and sos!!

easttarbet.jpg

Float fishing for pollack at East Tarbet

Met up with Chris on the Saturday at Sandhead with tope in mind. He had brought his boat over. We struggled to catch mackeral in the first hour but eventually got enough to fill the rubby dubby bag. We set out tope baits over the side and waited. Chris got two runs but no hook ups. The anchor we had was too small for the job and we were on a constant drift. Not good news when tope fishing. We packed in after a few hours as the family were waiting on the beach. No tope but the craic was good.

endofmull.jpg

End of the Mull from East Tarbet

On the way home on Sunday afernoon had a quick hour at the "Yellow Isle". Missed two cracking takes on legered sandeel :(

Well that was another week at the Mull for me. Back again Sept 8th,cannot wait. Hope you enyoyed the write up and pictures :)

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitleee Bhay luks diffirint sins ah waz thair. :lol:;)

I can see why you head North West, it looks the ideal place to chill out. :sun:

How far's the local pub, from your caravan. :drunk:

25yds :drunk::lol: I kid you not

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

25yds :drunk::lol: I kid you not

Its surely not that far John.... :D I walked it all on my own too.... :blink:

Superb report ,and even better pics mate...looking forward to the 8th !!!!!! :sun::sun:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/