Response from DEFRA

Pugs

This is the response...

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Recreational Sea Angling (RSA) and the recent announcement on the plans to increase the landing size for bass from 36-40cm.

The decision was reached on the basis of an evaluation of the costs and benefits of various options, which are set out in detail in the Regulatory Impact Assessment (RIA) at http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/bass-mls/full-ria.pdf.

In summary, the benefits are that the increase to 40cm will bring the minimum landing size closer to the average spawning size for bass and so will protect more juvenile fish. As a result, there would be enhanced recruitment to the spawning stock. The availability of larger bass to the recreational sector could increase anglers' interest in the stock and increase the economic contribution of recreational sea angling to the UK economy.

The Minister has also announced the intention to increase the landing size further to 45cm, but this will be subject to a review in 2010, of the effectiveness of the measures. We will be gathering evidence on the impact the measures have on the stocks of bass, and the impact on both commercial and recreational fishermen to inform this decision.

An RSA licence is only one measure that we will be considering as part of a wider package of measures being considered by Defra in relation to sea angling, and before taking forward any new proposals on licensing, we would consult widely. Work is currently underway with anglers, commercial fishermen and other interested parties on the drafting of a recreational sea angling strategy for England, and provisions are being considered for the Marine Bill in relation to sea angling. A strategy may include elements such as links with inshore fisheries management, management of key stocks of interest to anglers, improving access, controls on anglers, as well as other RSA development opportunities.

Regarding your enforcement concerns on nursery areas, I have passed your e-mail to the local Marine Fisheries Agency team for their attention.

Edited by Pugs

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

No surprises there then Pugs. Just more rubbish trying to justify a crap decision.

When they say that 40cm is nearer to the spawning size, don't they realise that "nearer" isn't good enough? Don't they realise that a bass "near" the spawning size still hasn't spawned and that the 40cm MLS won't do a thing to help the bass stocks? It just goes to show how little they actually know.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

No surprises there then Pugs. Just more rubbish trying to justify a crap decision.

When they say that 40cm is nearer to the spawning size, don't they realise that "nearer" isn't good enough? Don't they realise that a bass "near" the spawning size still hasn't spawned and that the 40cm MLS won't do a thing to help the bass stocks? It just goes to show how little they actually know.

Hi Steve

QUOTE/ It just goes to show how little they actually know.

smiling turning into laughter here, they are buracrats, they know everything about nothing and nothing about everything, and maybe something about nothing and everything about something, they are still undecided about if they know something about nothing or everything something or nothing. How's your day been, smiles

kind regards

steve

It's not that they don't know Steve, they are afraid of upsetting the commercials.

Got in one :(

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Steve,

The point is that they said 'average'. In that context 'nearer' does mean something and will have an effect.

The problem is whether 42cm is a minimum or an average, and whether they understand that. I'm not sure that I do as I see both quoted.... and they can't both be right.

Steve,

The point is that they said 'average'. In that context 'nearer' does mean something and will have an effect.

The problem is whether 42cm is a minimum or an average, and whether they understand that. I'm not sure that I do as I see both quoted.... and they can't both be right.

The average spawning size is probably something like 55cm, or even 60cm. Bass spawn from 42cm, until they die as I understand it. As they can grow to 20lb plus, I reckon that would put the average spawning size at around 6 or 7 lb given that there aren't many 20 pounders around.

Just another slant on things, and more proof that DEFRA don't have a clue what they are talking about.

If they meant FIRST spawning size, they should have said so. Even so, male bass are capable of breeding at under 40cm, but not females. Last I heard you needed both male and female bass to make baby bass.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Most animals are capable of reproducing themselves a lot earlier than is maybe practical. The female bass are capable of reproduction at 42cm but just how successful would this effort be prepared with an elder animal.

I think bass need to start reproduction early so they can get the practice ready for when they are large enough for a decent spawning.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Any movement in the right derection has to be good

it is also good that they have taken on board , from a recreational point of view that catch and release is becomming so much more popular so its mainly just for the comercial boys now.

one thing the bass does have to its advantage is its love of rocky coastlines stopping to a certain extent the netting of them

john

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk