My Veg

five bellies

Im very New to growing my own vegies but have enjoyed doing it over the last three years with quite a high degree of success in the past, this year however Half my Runer Bean plants after initialy doing well and produceing flowers and imature beans wilted and died with no sign of infestation or indication to a reason, Also Ive got a bumper crop of toms that wont rippen, the plants are showing signs of dieing off allready full of Large healthy looking Green unripe fruit. I have started to rippen some on the windowcill but I prefer to have them go red on the Plant, What am I doing wrong Guys, Allso my carrots got to six inch plants and then gave up the ghost no sign of Carrot fly!! :(

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Im very New to growing my own vegies but have enjoyed doing it over the last three years with quite a high degree of success in the past, this year however Half my Runer Bean plants after initialy doing well and produceing flowers and imature beans wilted and died with no sign of infestation or indication to a reason, Also Ive got a bumper crop of toms that wont rippen, the plants are showing signs of dieing off allready full of Large healthy looking Green unripe fruit. I have started to rippen some on the windowcill but I prefer to have them go red on the Plant, What am I doing wrong Guys, Allso my carrots got to six inch plants and then gave up the ghost no sign of Carrot fly!! :(
I can maybe help on the toms front. What variety? Under glass or not?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I think the whole of the UK is going to be eating green tomato chutney this year, of my 6 varieties, only the Sungolds and San Marzanos ripened, and even then slowly.

The beans (french, borlotti and broad) did a lot better, but not as well as I'd hoped, the chillis are only now flowering, but look OK.

In short, I don't really know why you had the problems you have, only that you're not alone!

We grow outdoor tomatos in tubs lined up by a south-facing wall. Despite the lack of sun, they did eventually ripen (all 4 varieties) but took a long time over it (still picking now) They grew very strongly in the wet conditions until I pinched the tops out.

Got a good crop of runner beans, despite them being blown over (not completely, but leaning at 45 degrees against the hedge) If the present wind patterns are anything like permanent, I think we shall need scaffolding for next year's crop.

Both tomatos and runners appreciate rich feeding with compost (we make our own)

As we are on rather acid and clayey soil, we don't bother with carrots. I remember bumper carrot crops from my grandfathers allotments in Norfolk years ago on the sandy chalky loam.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

you can easily ripen green toms ,put them in a drawer or dark box with a very ripe one and they all will go red ,the ripe one exudes a gas (which one escapes me) and the rest turn red.

if you do it to a few at a time you wont have a glut of red ones ,in this weather waiting for them to ripen naturally may see rotten green toms or the slugs will find them

i think i dimly remember a ripe banana also works????

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ripe bananas do indeed work their magic on green tomatoes, the only problem is, tomatoes ripened this way never taste as good as ones left to ripen on the plant.

Edited by jeepster

All our greenhouse tomatoes ripened (sungold and red cherry), and we've got plenty of chillies in there too. The tumbling toms in the outdoor hanging baskets did nothing, though. We had a fair crop of broad beans and peas, and did OK for new potatoes. Still got two rows of pink fir apple that want digging up, actually. Must also dig the garlic up, it's going to rot in the ground if I don't.

Various summer squashes didn't do so well, but I left them too late to put out into the beds. We've had some courgettes and other squashes from them, but not very many. Sweetcorn has been rubbish this year, very small cobs. Not many plums this year, and a high proportion with moth grub in them. Bumper crop of apples, though.

Ripe bananas do indeed work their magic on green tomatoes, the only problem is, tomatoes ripened this way never taste as good as ones left to ripen on the plant.

what about a plastic bag over the plant with a banana hanging from it inside ,if nothing else it will amuse someone :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

FB; if they are in the greenhouse, put the heater on, it's heat that ripens toms more than sunlight,

perhaps an earlier start next year is called for to let them develop healthier roots, and good REGULAR water & feed. hope this helps.