Shot gun shooters, fancy one of these?

Guest Ferret1959

[Re: the 'rifled rounds', it would be more common to have a barrel for the gun that had lands and groves incised into it (rifling) and use the 'slug' shells that have a single projectile. Those do have a sporting use, BTW.

Don't know where they came from or why they were developed, and unsure of your Countries heritage as far as weapon development went Newty, (other than them there western films :) )

In the UK a 'Shotgun' WAS (don't keep up with legislation anymore) defined as "a smooth bore rifle" going on to state gauge and barrel length etc etc.

'Rifled Rounds' were basically a single lump of lead within a shotgun cartridge, the round itself was rifled in a spiral to allow greater accuracy and hitting power. They were allowed, in this Country certainly, for use by the 'Authorities' and could be used for 'interesting' purposes such as taking the engine block out of a car or killing/injuring somebody stood on the otherside of a brick wall :blink:

At that time a 'shotgun' with a rifled barrel would be classified as a 'firearm'

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A shotgun is by definition a smooth bored weapon. A weapon with a rifled barrel would be a rifle.

I know in some countries a solid slug from a 12 bore can be used for shooting deer, wild boar etc.

That is illegal in UK and therefore they have no sporting use in UK

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

A shotgun is by definition a smooth bored weapon. A weapon with a rifled barrel would be a rifle.

I know in some countries a solid slug from a 12 bore can be used for shooting deer, wild boar etc.

That is illegal in UK and therefore they have no sporting use in UK

rifled slugs are NOT illegal in the UK under certain circumstances they

can be used check Scottish law more info

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

rifled slugs are NOT illegal in the UK under certain circumstances they

can be used check Scottish law more info

Your not wrong

see page 16

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countrysi...s%20scotland%22

I didn't even know you could buy rifled slugs in this country so you live and learn.

Personally I wouldn't put one through any gun of mine :schmoll:

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old post, did anybody actually get one of these or know if they are for sale in the UK now?

Did you ever get your trial Peter?

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Reviving an old post, did anybody actually get one of these or know if they are for sale in the UK now?

Did you ever get your trial Peter?

They are on sale over here and they are on the mk2 version now, Berreta do make a nice gun.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

After my first back surgery I was advised to stop shooting as the recoil was deemed bad for my spine. I went out and bought a Browning 20b Semi Auto that had virtually no recoil, and I hated it.

Wouldn't have another auto for a bet.

Depending on what type of shooting I am doing my preferred shotgun is a Thomas Wild 12b side by side hammergun from the early 1920s.

Beautifully balanced, just floats into the shoulder. I would love a best English sidelock like a Holland and Holland or a Purdey but failing a lottery win it's not likely so this is as close as I need to get.

a poaching freind of mine always used rifled slugs for deer in his shotgun (and very effective they were) whether they were illegal to him was of no matter as the deer in question were illegally shot.

his favourite gun was a magnificent martini? action 10 bore but he was just as good with pheasants with a catty :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Berreta do make a nice gun.

My First shotgun was a second hand 28inch u/o Berreta 686, which i bought knowing nothing about shotguns or how they should fit. Despite my efforts to better it, its still my first choice out of the cabinet and the only one i can shoot with out having to think what I'm doing.

I have had a few go's with semi autos, with a view of getting one for pigeon shooting, but they just don't feel right to me. That soft spongy feel just puts me right off.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep