Centenary outing for the Allcocks 1915....

Tigger

attachicon.gif006.JPG

Having struggled on the Lea Navigation since last December, I finally managed a couple of Perch yesterday afternoon.

Bob

What a crackin' brace of perch Bob, well done bud :).

Any idea on their weights, they look quite heavy ! Did you get 'em on the float or leger ?

Tigger, thanks mate.

Because the Lea is plagued by Crayfish, bottom baits are difficult to use.

I caught a couple of small live baits, you can fish these up in the water and they seem to account for the Bigger Perch ?

The Perch weighed 2lbs 10ozs and 3lbs 14ozs.

Bob

Tigger, thanks mate.

Because the Lea is plagued by Crayfish, bottom baits are difficult to use.

I caught a couple of small live baits, you can fish these up in the water and they seem to account for the Bigger Perch ?

The Perch weighed 2lbs 10ozs and 3lbs 14ozs.

I've caught a lot of my better perch on lives also, again a beltin brace of fish Bob :).

Stole another hour or three on the river today :). It was a great little session and really enjoyable.

I had a few chub and whilst trotting for them I noticed a lot of small fish jumping out of the water about 80yds downstream... I thought it must have been pike attacking them so I walked down for a nosey. I was amazed to see hundreds of dace fighting amongst themselves as they made their way up river. I threw maggots amongst them but they just ignored them and carried on on their mission! I think they must have been migrating up river to spawn from the estuary where they seem to spend the colder months . I can't say i've ever witnessed this spectacle before and it really was fascinating. After watching them for a while i moved on downstream. I did finnish up catching a few dace which was nice as I haven't caught any since the cold weather arrived and they migrated to the lowest parts of the river. I did catch a nice little barbel of 3lbs or so which was another surprise. Next trott down after catching the barbel and I hooked another one, this one was larger than the first one, probably about 6lb and I tried to net it with the first one still in the net (I was resting it before releasing it). Anyhow I netted it ok but when I pulled the net back I tilted it right at the dge and it slipped back out over the net at which poing the hook came out and it was away !...I wasn't really bother as it saved me unhooking it lol......

march%207%202%20dace.jpg

march%207%20dace.jpg

march%207%20barbel.jpg

The dace in the pic looks thin but some of them where like little footballs !

Edited by Tigger