First wrecking trip of the year - and a recipe

Vagabond

Friday was the first wreck-fishing trip of the year - Three trips have been cancelled since the last one, and the last of the cod fillets in the freezer went into a fish pie last Wednesday.

So I was really looking forward to this trip - the weather looked good as I drove southwards - and when I met up with my boat partners spirits and hopes were high. The huge breakfast (bacon egg sausage chips mushrooms black pudding fried bread) at a "greasy spoon" café near the front tasted even better than usual but was rather hastily eaten - we wanted to get fishing!

Once out of harbour we were pleased to encounter a dull lead-coloured sea , disturbed only by our long white wake as we arrowed out towards our first mark. On the mark a gentle Force 2 eased the boat steadily across tide, so that a slow long drift over the wreck was possible.

The day passed all too quickly - drift followed drift, and cod and pollack that had been undisturbed for much of the winter eagerly grabbed our "Redgills" - although I used a black "redgill". No monsters were caught, just plenty of fish up to fifteen pound or so, the majority being pollack of about 7 to 8 with a few cod thrown in. As the day passed, so the wind strengthened to about Force 4 - just the odd whitecap, and the drift became that much faster, necessitating a slight increase in lead size.

Back to harbour, followed by a cloud of screaming gulls as we gutted and washed our catch. Watched a huge front coming up from the west out beyond Beachy Head. Then came the hardest work of the day, staggering up the ramp and loading gear and fish into the cars. Drove home, as the Force 6 to 7 promised by the forecast began to whip the treetops.

Treated like a hero at home - given a "sundowner" to drink whilst the fillets and packets of roe were packed into the freezer - rabbit stew for dinner with a good red Burgundy - a perfect end to a perfect day.

Now, specially for Alan - an Eastern fish dish.

FISH MOOLLI - For three normal diners or two greedy ones.

About a pound and a half of skinned white fillet.

three tablespoonfuls of warm milk

a couple of teaspoons of white wine vinegar

1 large onion chopped

1 clove garlic chopped

two tablespoonfuls of sunflower oil

2 oz creamed or grated coconut

2 green chillies chopped

Lemon juice, salt, pepper

Spices - turmeric - half teaspoon ; ground ginger, asafoetida quarter teaspoon of each; two or three black peppercorns

saffron (pinch)

Warm the milk and vinegar and soak the spices in it for half an hour.

Fry onion and garlic in the oil till golden - add the spices and saffron and stir-fry in the coconut with a little water.

When hot, add fish and chillies and cook for about ten to fifteen minutes, adding water to keep sauce fluid.

Salt to taste, sprinkle with lemon juice and serve with fried or boiled rice.

This is, like Walton's recipes, "only fit for anglers or very honest men"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Nice report Vagabond,

You are very lucky to have found a "weather window".

We have had all our 6 booked trips cancelled this year, through bad weather.

It seems we don,t have cold winters anymore, just wet and VERY windy.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Yes a good report vagabond, pleased that you finally got out to sea and got some decent fish on board,hope you have another trip out soon.

Good luck and tight lines

Jangar :D:D:D

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Vagabond,

You lucky sod!! Had my first trip on Friday also. Got out of bed at 3.30am loaded the gear into the motor? It sounded like a tractor with 2 dead cylinders!! Had to phone the skipper and tell him not to wait for me. When daylight arrived and I tried again? The motor sounded as sweet as a nut!!! Sods law?

Never mind. I`ve got a complete week booked from Swansea at the end of the month.

Must get one days fishing in??

:mad: :mad: Paul. :mad: :mad:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hi all

I was supposed to be out on Sundance today with Roger Bayzand - weather has been awful for the weekend but today it doesn't seem half as bad only problem is the wrecks are dead!!!

Have to wait for next month!!

Vagabond

Just out of interest which port did you fish from?

Rob

Used to fish out of Newhaven and Brighton - now fish out of Eastbourne and (in August for skate) Oban.

Will fish anywhere where I can get a boat!

RNLI Governor

Too chilly for me in my little boat just yet, but have been out in March before, heres hoping that the spring/summer brings some weather good enough to make up for the cr@p winter.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• 4 weeks later...

Vagabond:

Now, specially for Alan - an Eastern fish dish.

FISH MOOLLI - For three normal diners or two greedy ones.

About a pound and a half of skinned white fillet.

three tablespoonfuls of warm milk

a couple of teaspoons of white wine vinegar

1 large onion chopped

1 clove garlic chopped

two tablespoonfuls of sunflower oil

2 oz creamed or grated coconut

2 green chillies chopped

Lemon juice, salt, pepper

Spices - turmeric - half teaspoon ; ground ginger, asafoetida quarter teaspoon of each; two or three black peppercorns

saffron (pinch)

Warm the milk and vinegar and soak the spices in it for half an hour.

Fry onion and garlic in the oil till golden - add the spices and saffron and stir-fry in the coconut with a little water.

When hot, add fish and chillies and cook for about ten to fifteen minutes, adding water to keep sauce fluid.

Salt to taste, sprinkle with lemon juice and serve with fried or boiled rice.

This is, like Walton's recipes, "only fit for anglers or very honest men"

That was excellent Vagabond, a couple of things though, we were a bit put off by the sort of curdled milk look at the start but let it go.

We did not allow for the water in the fish so the sauce was a bit watery. I must be a pig because I used a pound and a half of Cod and it was just enough for me :rolleyes:

A tip for anyone giving this a try, when you cut the green peppers, take the seeds out as they are the hottest part and Gents, wash your hands BEFORE you go for your next pee after touching the peppers :o:D:D

Well worth another try and thanks for the recipe.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Glad you liked it Alan, but what's all this chickening out from the chillie seeds? - they are the best part of the chillie!! :cool:

Should have warned you to keep the water to a minimum - the curdled milk effect soon thickens up.

Hand-washing after chillie chopping - yes - and I can imagine that lack of this precaution could play havoc with your sex life too............As Dick Walker once warned us, sand gets everywhere, so capsicin would do likewise........

My second wrecking trip of the year was cancelled last week :mad: :mad:

Went trout fishing instead - hard work in bright sun with an easterly gale blowing, but got enough to keep the smoker from being idle.

[ 09 April 2002, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor