Norma´s Fish of a Lifetime

Vagabond

Just come in from our third day at sea - only one strike today, but what a strike !

Atlantic Blue Marlin, tagged and returned, skipper´s estimate "a GOOD nine-hundred pounds"

Measured against the boatside, about twelve feet long.

We were just 15 minutes out of Funchal when the fish took. As is usual with the best fish - it was Norma´s turn on strike The fish made a long run as the mate and I cleared all other rods out of the way, and then it jumped, over 300 yards from the boat (we know that, because the fish was onto the backing line) It looked bl00dy BIG !!!

With the decks clear, Norma was able to clip on a kidney harness, get into the fighting chair, set the rod in the gimbal, and start to apply pressure. With that, and backing the boat up, a lot of line was regained.

Then the marlin decided to go round the boat! Although the skipper spun the boat pretty rapidly, the marlin was faster, and left Norma facing over the port quarter whilst it crossed the bows and leapt out of the water on the starboard beam (I hope I have a picture of that)

Luckily Norma had had the good sense to loosen the drag and the skipper backed the boat out of the loop, and proper contact with the fish was re-established.

Norma lay into the fish , and it was soon within reach (entire fight, a remarkably short 30 minutes)

The bill was lassooed, the hook removed (hook in the "scissors"), a tag inserted (Billfish Foundation tag No 111805), and the fish released.

"A fish of a lifetime" said Ron Cowling, our skipper, and who would disagree ?

We are just going out for a celebratory dinner of lobster and champagne.

Took most of the photos by steam camera (digitals are useless for action shots) so later next week hope to get them developed, scanned and be able to post some up.

WHAYHAYYYY!!!!! :D :cool: :D :cool: :D

[ 26. June 2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NORMA does it AGAIN Vags :D:D

I have had the honour of meeting Norma and if anyone deserves a fish like that then it has to be her, well done that Lady :cool:

Can't wait for the pics and don't skimp on them, Elton can afford it

Lucky she has you along to take the pics and at times catch the bait :P

Norma, can you leave the old man at home for a change and take me instead :)

Nice little report and again "well done our Norma"

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Its a hard life mate! my alarm is set for 04.30 early shift :(

Come back to the Mull and stay in my van. I will say that you are my Grandad

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Snatcher:

I will say that you are my Grandad

Funny thing that, when we met, I looked upon you as a father figure :D:D:D

Jusht back from the lobshter and champagne dinner, hic, Delichioush :cool:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond:

Just come in from our third day at sea - only one strike today, but what a strike !

Atlantic Blue Marlin, tagged and returned, skipper´s estimate "a GOOD nine-hundred pounds"

Measured against the boatside, about twelve feet long.

We were just 15 minutes out of Funchal when the fish took. As is usual with the best fish - it was Norma´s turn on strike The fish made a long run as the mate and I cleared all other rods out of the way, and then it jumped, over 300 yards from the boat (we know that, because the fish was onto the backing line) It looked bl00dy BIG !!!

With the decks clear, Norma was able to clip on a kidney harness, get into the fighting chair, set the rod in the gimbal, and start to apply pressure. With that, and backing the boat up, a lot of line was regained.

Then the marlin decided to go round the boat! Although the skipper spun the boat pretty rapidly, the marlin was faster, and left Norma facing over the port quarter whilst it crossed the bows and leapt out of the water on the starboard beam (I hope I have a picture of that)

Luckily Norma had had the good sense to loosen the drag and the skipper backed the boat out of the loop, and proper contact with the fish was re-established.

Norma lay into the fish , and it was soon within reach (entire fight, a remarkably short 30 minutes)

The bill was lassooed, the hook removed (hook in the "scissors"), a tag inserted (Billfish Foundation tag No 111805), and the fish released.

"A fish of a lifetime" said Ron Cowling, our skipper, and who would disagree ?

We are just going out for a celebratory dinner of lobster and champagne.

Took most of the photos by steam camera (digitals are useless for action shots) so later next week hope to get them developed, scanned and be able to post some up.

WHAYHAYYYY!!!!! :D :cool: :D :cool: :D

:cool: Well done that girl. Please send me a picture and story for August issue, Norma holding the bill while the tag goes in will do. Had some smoothies, bream, dogs and mackeral myself today, not quite in the same league but the suntan's the same. :D

[ 26. June 2005, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Norm B ]