Price

glennk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi glenn

if you aim at the £500 mark for a new fishing yak you won't be far wide of the mark then you have the other essentials PFD, Paddle, Wetsuit/dry clothing or you can keep an eye out for a second hand yak. they are about if you are not in a rush over the winter months.

especially now that there seems to be a few new models hitting the market elites and big games someone maybe upgrading so its a case of keeping an eye on here and other avenues like ebay.

stability wise its best to find yourself some inland water or safe bay somewhere and mess about on it for a couple of trips, rocking it back and fore so you know how far it will go before it goes over, practicing getting back in it and just paddling technique too, you'll be amazed how quick it is to pick up to an alright standard. and yeah they re pretty good on the stability side of things...

john.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

Glennk, I have just bought three kayaks, two Bic Bilbao's, and a Bic Tobago. Although not ideal for fishing, as they have no storage locker, but do have on deck storage straps, and an anglers seat with rod holders, they are great fun. I will use one of the Bilbao's for fishing, I have the anglers seat, and an anchor. The Bilbao is £365, or £299 on e-bay, the Tobago 2 seater is £465, or £399 on e-bay.

The point is, in the warmer weather, just go and try one if you can.

They are so stable, you can sit sidesaddle. Iv'e taken ours out in some nice chopy seas, and was surprised how safe they are. With a good wetsuit and bouyancy aid, you feel secure. If like me you are a swimmer, then you should enjoy a dunk in the briney!

We used our wetsuits in Wales this year, the water was cold, but the suits were brilliant. Ours are almost impossible to tip over even if you try! If you are using them sensibly, they are very stable. Once you have tried them out for a few hours, you will be confident. I can't wait for the chance to fish with mine. We are still just bashing about in the waves for fun, although we did a mini expedition last week, just a couple of miles up the coast, found a nice beach for a picnic, and then back. That was with my other half, two 14 year olds, and a 7 year old. The big Tobago with me and my son aboard, plus the 7 year old, absolutey flies. We were keeping up with fast sailing boats in a good breeze. Terriffic fun, you could cover some miles in that.

It's very surprising just how far you can travel in a short space of time.

Compared to the shore bound angler, a few hundred yards offshore is a massive advantage, and so quick to cover that short distance.

The Bic's are fast, with a good hull design, so they glide well between paddle actions, but I suppose you need a complete angling kayak, whereas I need the best of both worlds, fishing and sport.

Edited by maidstonemike

Hi Glennk,

Allow yourself between £750 and £850 to get on the water safely. Kayaks suitable for fishing start at around £399, on top of this you will need a paddle and leash, it's worth paying a little extra for a good one, remember this is your engine and you want it to be as efficient as possible so that you don't become too tired. Some kayaks come with a seat included in the price, seats start at about £40, if you have to buy one it's worth getting one with a bag on the back.

Clothing for summer use a 3mm long john and windproof Cag is fine, for winter a 4 season Cag and matching Paddle Pants or Dry Suit, on your feet, Neoprene boots with hard soles and a fleece hat.

Minimum Safety Equipment, PFD (Personal Flotation Device), Mini Personal Flares, Orange Smoke Flare, compass, whistle, mobile phone in waterproof case but preferably a VHF radio, Polaroids, waterproof torch, Blunt tipped, single sided rescue knife worn on your PFD.

Of course you will need a roofrack and straps, and depending on where you will be launching a trolley.

All the other gear, rod holders, fish finders, anchors, drogues, can be bought over a period of time and when you know how you are going to use them.

Are they safe, yes but only if you paddle within your capabilities, use a paddle plan let people know where you are launching from and when you will be back, wear bright colours and buy a bright coloured kayak, olive drab makes you invisible within 100 yards on a high vis day, the fish don't care if your paddling a yellow kayak.

There are days when I arrive at the beach and know conditions are not right, try and find a safe all weather mark, if you can't, go home or fish from the beach, be aware of changing weather conditions when out, if the wind and swell start to pick up, move closer to the beach and be ready to get off the water. If you do change your paddle plan, let people know.

It's a great sport.

Sm :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Glennk.... I recently bought an Ocean Kayak Drifter as I and my family were new to Kayaking, it's been great and no-one has fell out of it yet, as its quite a wide one, but get used to it on a sheltered lake first!

And be sensible on the sea, never venture further than you KNOW you can make it back.

Have fun, I wish I had bought kayaks years ago now!

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

Whatever you decide on it would work out cheaper than a new small open boat, trailer and an outboard. The good thing with a SOT kayak if you can walk down to the beach you can take your kayak as we don't need slipways ect.

Bad side you get wet in a kayak, but if you can handle that there a great and cheap way to get afloat.

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Whatever you decide on it would work out cheaper than a new small open boat, trailer and an outboard. The good thing with a SOT kayak if you can walk down to the beach you can take your kayak as we don't need slipways ect.

Bad side you get wet in a kayak, but if you can handle that there a great and cheap way to get afloat.

Absolutely! Wish I had discovered them years ago, and... you don't have to keep pouring petrol in them!

and... you will get fit, rippling biceps etc. :sun:

Glennk

I just bought a Prowler 13a for £499

PFD £50

Paddle £25 (upgrade from th efree one with kayak, andmoney well spent)

leash £10

bits to make a trolly £25

Pulley system for garage storage £40

Roof Rack and Pads £90

And for everything else theres MAstercard!!!!

I havent even started on mini flares or a fish finder/GPS yet

I reckon a grand will see me sorted :blink::(

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network