Alan Taylor trophy evening.

spasor

me and liam will be there, heading up tomorrow with nowhere to stay :lol:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what can I say a cracking weekend, shared with the best of company and for those of you have not been there, the setting is nothing short of stunning, especially in the glorious sunshine that greeted our arrival.

John (jabee) picked me up from Shotts and after the obligatory stop at Glasgow Angling Centre we were on our way, after a lovely drive up Loch Lomand and through Glencoe we arrived in Lochaline, at about 3pm which was bathed in glorious sunshine with hardley a breath of wind. We were met at the snack bar by Linda and Les (happydude) and his son Liam were preparing to launch their boat, so after a quick bite for lunch we set off out to where Davy, his dad Albert, Marky and Paul were already fishing they had already had three skate that day, to go with the handful they had had earlier in the week, so expectations were high and I was particularly excited as being the virgin amongst the crew the first take was to be mine.John, Les and Liam anchored up 100yards inshore of us and we all settled down to fish. After a couple of hours, with Paul and Marky pulling up a steady stream of dogs and spurries, one of the big rods signaled a more serious bite, but from a conger, Marky jumped for the rod, but handed it to Paul whilst he went off to find a butt pad, in the mean time one of the other rods signaled abite but this time a completely different one this time a couple of genlte pulls followed by the rod arching over, a skate was hooked and it was going to be mine, so with Davy shouting to Marky to get another pad and the harness, with trembling hands I strapped myself up and leant into the fish. What a bloodly weight I could feel the fish just moving slowley on the bottom and there was nothing I could do but keep on the pressure. In the mean time Pauls fish was just below the surface and Davy shouted that it was a big eel but it was tangled around a couple of other lines including my own, Davey expertly sorted out the tangle and Pauls eel was pulled aboard and I was free to play my fish un-hindered (or should I say my fish was free to play with me)As I kept the pressure up on my fish Davy was having a fit saying Pauls eel looked like it could be a scottish record. It took the scales down to bang on 45lb (not necessarily a big fish for those who fish the english channel wrecks but just 3lb 1oz shy of the scottish record and a cracking fish for anywere from a piece of sandy open ground). In the mean time I had been connected to my fish for about 15 mins and every time I got a yard of line on the reel it took ten back until eventually it just powered off and spat the hook. I was absolutely gutted but at least I now had an inkling of what it was like to be hooked to one of Davy's big girls, as he calls them. We fished on into darkness for a further hour with no further action so with rumbling bellies we headed off in, looking forward to our food, a few pints and a full days fishing tommorow.

We headed back to the hotel to hook up with Norrie and Alan Taylor's wife Sonja, whilst Marky and Liam fished through the night to catch some coalies for bait.

Saturday dawned a bit more overcast, but without a breath of wind and we all headed down to the snack bar for a cup of tea and a gas before launching, as it was Paul's birthday Davy and Marky had decked the boat out with bunting and a Welsh flag in pauls honour, They kept their celtic side represented with the Saltire also flying from the mast. We were met by Lenny and Niel who had driven down through the night to take part in the celebrations and had kipped in the car. Nickinthenorth also popped down on his bike to tell us the good news , that Jill would be out of hospital later that day after having an operation for what turned out to be an appendicitis (get well soon Jill I will meet you next time I'm up).

So after a couple of cups of tea and a bit of banter, whilst waiting for the ferry to leave we said goodbye to Albert( who had to take the dogs home)and the boats were launched, with Les, Liam and John heading out in Les's boat, with myself, Davy, Paul, Marky and Lenny completing the crew of the Catchalot. Norries comedy boat was filled with Norrie, Neil and two locals Jamie and and young Colin.

We steamed out of the loch and had not gone 500yards before the comedy boat was signaling for help, Norrie boat was cutting out all the time, so we turned round to assist, after several false starts Norrie finally managed to get out and with Les speeding off to fish in Innimore bay, we put the anchor down and set up the rods, early afternoon with nothing coming to the boat, except a steady stream of dogs and spurries and solitary eel we decided on a move and were soon followed by Les and the comedy boat, which decided to head off to catch some more bait, but not before landing a couple of eels themselves, the best just over the 20 mark. That turned out to be the total action for the day and so just as it was getting dark and starting to rain we headed back in to prepare for Paul's evening bash and the presentation evening.

The evening started off quietly with everyone assembling in the bar, but that was not the tone that was going to be set for the rest of the evening, no siree Bob!.

After an exceptional meal which in a strange twist of protocol was paid for by the birthday boy Paul, (thanks mate that was most generous of you) it was down to the serious business of the evening, the presentation of the Alan Taylor Memorial shield, so after a quick speech or should I say slur from Paul the trophy was presented by a tearful Sonja, to Davy Holt for his outstanding contribution to the Skate fishing and tagging program and for the fact that he had made it possible for everyone present, except myself to have caught at least one of the beasts. A glass of champagne and a toast was raised to Alan and a further toast to the birthday boy and it was off to the bar, leaving Nick to mine sweep the wine and champagne left at the table.

The rest of the evening went quietly with everyone tucked up in bed by 11pm. Hang on that must have been in a parallel universe because in this one the consumption of alcohol continued until 4 am only halted intermittantly for bouts of arm wrestling and arguments about single sausages.

The funniest part of the night had to be that, despite drinking pints all night, Liam blurted out that the bar was too smokey and that it was damaging his development as he was only 15, with the frivolities going on that night Charles the landlord could only laugh himself and poured Liam another pint.

The Sunday morning dawned fine but with plenty of fuzzy heads and it was off to the snack bar, which Jean had kindley opened specially for us, for the usual hanging around before launching the boats, the crews were the same with the exception of Sonja and Neil aboard the Catchalot, don't think Neil could handle another day with Norrie in the comedy boat and anyway Norrie was heading off at Lunchtime.

The sunday was almost as un-eventful as the Saturday with the only fish of note being a 30lb + eel caught by Davy which managed to slip the hook whilst being lifted into the boat, we did manage a few dogs, spurries, a couple of thornies along with a few pin whiting and poor cod though, these were caught in between the sleeping roster in the cabin. At lunchtime Norrie came over to pick up Sonja and we said our goodbyes as they headed off.

A much more sedate night was had after we said goodbye to Lenny and Niel and Linda, Davy and Marky. with the remainder of us all heading off for an early night.

Monday morning saw us packing the cars and with a heavy heart (Lochaline is the sort of place you just don't want to leave)said our good byes and headed off our seperate ways leaving Paul to stay for another night in the Hotel.

Sorry this post is so long but its the only way to describe what was a fantastic weekend, with a great craic, great weather and most of all the very best of company, with everyone fussing about the way they think Anglersnet is going, its great to think that all the fun and laughter that happened over the weekend was down to meeting on Anglersnet, so it can't be all that bad can it.

Personally I would like to say thanks to everyone who attended and helped to make it such an enjoyable weekend especially to John for chauffering me back and forth, Paul for his outstanding generosity on Saturday night and a big thankyou to Davy for the invatation to fish on his boat and the effort he put in to trying to get me my first skate (it was not to be) but as you said Davy I will just have to come back and try again. Try keeping me away .

Oh and a big thanks to Norrie for keeping us all entertained all weekend (as usual).

Oh and if you are looking in Sonja it was a real pleasure to meet you at last.

I better stop as this is getting to be a bit like the oscars!

See you all soon and best wishes in what ever you are doing for the rest of the year. (that will be decorating for you Davy by the sounds of things, congratulations).

Edited by chappers

nice report jonah/gareth :sun:

who won the arm wrestling then :unsure:

john said you got the single sausage when you went to your bed, but you were too drunk to appreciate it :lol:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

john said you got the single sausage when you went to your bed, but you were too drunk to appreciate it :lol:

Not from me he didn't, I'll hasten to add........ :blink:

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

http://DSCF0032.jpg

jabee(smoking)happy Dude,Liam, Spasor (Birthday boy) Charles and chappers

http://DSCF0017-1.jpg

Birthday Boy Spasor and cake :lol:

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

http://DSCF0002-1.jpg

Catchalot all decked out for Spasors Birthday (spasor on the Boat)

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

Hi Folks

Able to get to the internet today.

Well what can I say we had a fantastic week up at Lochaline, I wasn't out fishing much, just chilling out, It was great to meet up with some old and some new faces and had some fantastic nights out.

Davy Mark and myself where up for the week and I would like to Thank Paul first and foremost for that week, as Gareth said he might have been the birthday boy but we all got presents and that terrific night on Saturday from him.

I have never been dissapointed when all the Anglers Net crew get together and this was no exeption. Norrie was as loveable and entertaining as usual, :yeah: It was great to see Les, Liam, Jabee, Lenny and Neil again. Sonja was looking well and it was great for her to be there. Nick couldnt join in as much as I think he would have liked but Jill very generously set him free on the very first night she came out of hospital.

I had a some great fun with Nicks girls and even went Bramble picking and over to Tobermory for the day.

So even though this is not a fishing report: I still wanted to thank everyone , as most of you will know its not been great for us for the last few months but the week we had was the best remedy for all ills.

Thanks everyone

Edited by Orca
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.