cod closure in the north sea

big_cod

Hi Dave

ICES are sponsored by the government, the government departments pay for information gathered by ICES. the Danish government had massive problems with the Danish ICES in that they where publishing stocks of sand ells that where not there, there estimations (to the people who paid them) where so far from reality that the Danish government had to bring a dramatic stop to the fishery earlier this year to stop what would of been a certain disaster to the sand ell population.

Reasonable scientific advice? I think not.

If the British politician goes to the negotiating table to try and get a good deal this December for the commercial fishermen of this country, then what ever quota they get under the present climate (that has been well publicized) of cod closure. Will look like they have negotiated and got them (commercial fishermen) a good deal.

They try and get away with it almost every year.

The commercial fishermen’s representatives know this and therefore generally ignore ICES information the same as government departments do when it suits them.

Regards.

Just one quick question Challenge, where do the ICES scientists get the data from in order to make their estimations?

Doc.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell Glenn

I think you will find last springs (o6) will be a lot better.

Hi wurzel I have my fingers crossed for that. As you know it all seems to depend on sea temps (ie the sucessfulness of the spawning). I think we need to look after them though as next time its cold what will there be to spawn - but thats another issue.

06 was a colder spring but I seem to remember Leon posted something in early 05 that hgihlighted cooler sea temps that year due to colder water pushing down from above I think.

I've just deleted several posts that were becoming too vitriolic. I'm sure that even in Whitby, it's possible to discuss something without resorting to personal attacks and petty namecalling....

John Not all these people are from Whitby. Some come here to fish but they arent from here. Whitby is getting bad enough press already in this place.

Hi wurzel I have my fingers crossed for that. As you know it all seems to depend on sea temps (ie the sucessfulness of the spawning). I think we need to look after them though as next time its cold what will there be to spawn - but thats another issue.

06 was a colder spring but I seem to remember Leon posted something in early 05 that hgihlighted cooler sea temps that year due to colder water pushing down from above I think.

It'd better cool quick, I know the sea is at its warmest this month generally but its currently 15/16deg off my coast.

Hurray, it's conker time again :)

Have you ever thought how there'd be plenty of big conkers for everyone if only those idiots would quit chucking dirty great big sticks at the tree, knocking off all the conkers before they are ripe, and wrecking the tree in the process :wallbash:

It's those big boys who work in pairs that seem to get more than their fair share and do the most damage, then having scooped everything up, they bully those that have been left with the dregs and challenge them to compete - school playgrounds are full of 'em.

Guest challenge
It's those big boys who work in pairs that seem to get more than their fair share and do the most damage, then having scooped everything up, they bully those that have been left with the dregs and challenge them to compete - school playgrounds are full of 'em.

Is that a serious attempt at humour sea side, :lol: or do you see life (and therefore live it) through the eye of a would be playground philosopher? :clap2:

Perhaps MR MOTO is waiting for a big enough fish box...or he has no photo's???.this will be a shame as I fished with him twice this season and he did catch some nice fish,and I think in the 2007 season you will see him flourish, because he will take a photo of ever fish now...so look out next year .I take a camera on most trips but its the same old story,cant be bothered to take the pic and once your home you wish you had...cheers Graham