cod closure in the north sea

big_cod

Guest challenge
Rumours are rife that commercial fishing for cod in the north sea could close in early november due to all the cod quota being caught and would recomence again in the new year. .

It looks as if the rumours where wrong again big cod? They seam to of increased the quota for the smaller boats. Up to Christmas any way.

I believe darlick has been allocated 80 kits a month.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
ICES are advising a zero catch of cod in the North Sea for the fifth year running.

But who takes any notice?

See: http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po..._Cod_Catch.html

ICES where also saying that there was plenty of sand ells in the North Sea for years.

It now appears that because of ICES irreparable damage may have been caused to the central North Sea.

I wonder why no body takes any notice of them Leon.

What do you mean ?

Hello Glenn

As you saw on the tv's The Trawlermen a lot of cod are caught as a by catch, we were catching 4 to 5 boxs of large cod a day at the start of our sole season last year, to have a total zero catch of cod there would have to be a total ban on fishing , including the charter fleet, would that be exceptable?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Glenn

As you saw on the tv's The Trawlermen a lot of cod are caught as a by catch, we were catching 4 to 5 boxs of large cod a day at the start of our sole season last year, to have a total zero catch of cod there would have to be a total ban on fishing , including the charter fleet, would that be exceptable?

Acceptable does not come into it old mate if they slam the door on one it will slam on all :(

Guest challenge
Acceptable does not come into it old mate if they slam the door on one it will slam on all :(

God I love it when you get mad nipper. :headhurt:

Guest challenge

Doc

So what ever happened to you answering my questions?

You criticised our (chieftains) fishery management system. Well did you?

In fact when ever I mention any management of any fishery be it shell fish or white fish you totally refute that there has been any success.

Again doc, if the places that we fish and manage (hot spots, your words not mine) are not being managed properly, then why are they getting hotter?

If you remember the original photo that I put on the thread “god crisis what cod crisis” was only of a few boxes of fillets taken with a mobile phone. The larger photos where taken and put on by an angler present on the trip.

As for commercial fishermen wanting to undermined recreational fishermen? You obviously never talk to any commercial fishermen from Whitby. Nothing could be further from the truth. You are speculating and I find it an insult on the commercial fishermen I know.

Because I do not agree with a lot of what you and others say, does that therefore make me a campaigner for commercial fishermen? Or just someone who works in the RSA industry but does not agree with what a lot of its so called representatives say, and therefore you have to pigeon hole me somewhere.

Well doc you will have to do better than that, because from my research and I come into contact with a dam sight more anglers than you do. Not many of them agree with you neither.

I have never said there is no room for conservation within recreational sea angling.

But what I have said is that there is no room for a conflict of interest within the so called management of recreational angling.

What I was saying about your freezer and you going to Norway had absolutely nothing to do with its contents or your trips to Norway.

I have said on many occasions that I would choose Norway every time if I had the time and money.

But what I have always said (and until I see different always shall)l, that if you manage your fishery well within the north sea there is no reason (in the present climate) why this fishery should not stay sustainable or, like we have proven over the last five years, should not in fact (like it has) improve.

If that is no good for you doc in your crusade for radical changes to be made in the way we fish, then that is tuff. Because that’s the way I see it and by the looks of the amount of bookings that have been taken already for next year, so do our anglers.

Regards.

It looks as if the rumours where wrong again big cod? They seam to of increased the quota for the smaller boats. Up to Christmas any way.

I believe darlick has been allocated 80 kits a month.

Challenge wrong again mate, we are talking about the over 10mtr fleet running out of quota not the under 10mtr fleet thats according to most of the skippers but they wouldnt know nowt would they,the under 10mtr fleet dont really have any impact on stocks any way .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg