cod closure in the north sea

big_cod

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours are rife that commercial fishing for cod in the north sea could close in early november till the start of the new year.

:clap2: What's the point of that? They'll fish for haddock or ling and throw back the cod caught as a byecatch, or land it in Denmark or on a factory ship. LoL. :clap2:

Is there actually a problem with this? Quota is quota, no matter how long it takes to catch it. If the early half of the year gave good fishing, then the latter half will be restricted.

Perhaps there's a case for arguing for a closure during the 'spawny fishery' season instead? Ie. if the boats only have enough quota to fish for 11 months, then why not make it the most sensible 11 months from a conservation point of view and allow the fishermen to plan their maintenance and 'holiday' period?

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Is there actually a problem with this? Quota is quota, no matter how long it takes to catch it. If the early half of the year gave good fishing, then the latter half will be restricted.

Perhaps there's a case for arguing for a closure during the 'spawny fishery' season instead? Ie. if the boats only have enough quota to fish for 11 months, then why not make it the most sensible 11 months from a conservation point of view and allow the fishermen to plan their maintenance and 'holiday' period?

Nice point mate. That is what quota's are for. If this is true it would probably be a refelection of increased quota enforcement rather than cod availability, IMO that is.

Dave did you read that Post? A useful suggestion I think.

I wonder if Wurzel knows anymore his ear is often close to the ground on the qouta front. Personally Im off rhumours at the moment since I learned the rhumoured Scottish trawlers fishing here where just that "a Rhunour".

torag,

The problem lies with the under 10mtr sector winter longliners etc who only have appprox 1 box of cod to land each day unless they rent quota in from the po,ss these po,ss hold quota which they can rent but it looks like the big boys have used it all up leaving the small boats with litterally no exta quota to rent.

The whole quota system seems crazy that an under 10 metre boat gets just 1 box of cod to land each day.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Assuming there is any truth in it - there is no proof anywhere to be found , this is exactly what I have predicted for many many years. Monoplisation of the fishing industry by the big guns. Bit like how Tesco finished off the corner shop.

The under 10 meter issue has no effect on what Toerag suggests which was an excellent point. One I think others have worked on before. I think suggestions have been made at certain meetings to change the quota year from April to April rather than Jan to Jan to give the cod a rest at Spawning time. I am aware of wurzels point that a dead cod is still dead whether its killed in Jan or April though.

PAul your son is asking after you on the Whitby forum.

Edited by glennk

Hello Toerag, Glen

I have not heard of any problems with quotas.

Last I heard the PO's (slipper skippers) were awash with quota of all species

I don't think there are many boats that fish for cod all year round, I should imagine those that do would have access to the quota they need, most will only have cod quota to cover the by catch while fishing for haddock or prawns, some probably change from one to the other using their quota when it is easiest to catch i.e. during the herring spawn.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge

If they did not fish during the spawney fishery they would never catch there quota?