No tv licence.

Guest Ferret1959

Found this on their site: It is under business but answers the question I think

If you don't use any equipment to receive or record TV programmes, you do not need a licence. But we still need to hear from you. This is also the case if you use TV sets for closed circuit monitoring, as a computer monitor or watching pre-recorded videos only - for example, for training purposes.

You must let us know so that we can update our records to reflect your status. This will ensure that we do not continue to contact you unnecessarily.

We may need to confirm your situation by visiting your premises.

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Just reading this bit..............

Do I need a licence?

-

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

What about listening to digital radio via a set top box?

What about this then.

I live in a part of the country which receives no terrestrial signal, with or without an aerial, so I can not receive BBC on my TV.

I can however receive a satellite signal so can watch BBC via satellite, if I pay the satellite company for the service.

Shouldn't I get some sort of rebate?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

What about this then.

I live in a part of the country which receives no terrestrial signal, with or without an aerial, so I can not receive BBC on my TV.

I can however receive a satellite signal so can watch BBC via satellite, if I pay the satellite company for the service.

Shouldn't I get some sort of rebate?

I don't see why, it's still the BBC you're watching. I could argue that I too only watch satellite or that I never watch the BBC but that won't wash either.

Rob.

The idea that you need a license to watch streaming video on a computer is ludicrous. Firstly this is NOT a television programme and secondly it is not broadcast, it is a direct connection between them and you on a one to one basis. If they agree to provide that connection (which they have done by the fact that they provided it to you) then that is the end of the matter. I would love to see them to try this one out in court, they would be laughed out. I suspect this is just another of their silly bully boy tricks.

PS. Television detector vans are no longer used (they couldn't detect flat screen TV's without field coils anyway) they just use a database of every address in the country without a licence and systematically work their way through it.

I've been getting letters demanding that I buy a TV License at an address that does not have an electricity supply!

battery power! Ive got a 12 volt TV somewhere!

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I would like to add to this.

Don't know how true it is, but i was told that a guy up the road from me never paid for a licence, He had no TV.

An inspector called to check him out, was invited into the house and he found no TV.

He then left. A few minutes later he returned asking the guy if the car in the garden was his. He replied YES. The inspector then said that he had noted there was a radio in the car, and therefore he needed a licence to operate it, as it was a receiver and a licence is required.

Seems a bit OTT to me but apparently a licence not only allows you to receive TV programmes at home, but also allows you to listen to radio in your car etc.

The idea that you need a license to watch streaming video on a computer is ludicrous. Firstly this is NOT a television programme and secondly it is not broadcast, it is a direct connection between them and you on a one to one basis. If they agree to provide that connection (which they have done by the fact that they provided it to you) then that is the end of the matter. I would love to see them to try this one out in court, they would be laughed out. I suspect this is just another of their silly bully boy tricks.

PS. Television detector vans are no longer used (they couldn't detect flat screen TV's without field coils anyway) they just use a database of every address in the country without a licence and systematically work their way through it.

Ludicrous it maybe but that is the law. If you can watch TV, terrestrial or otherwise, whether it includes BBC or not you need a licence. No ifs, no buts and no maybes. The transmission method and media are irrelevant. What is do hard do grasp about this everyone? If I am watching the BBC news programme streaming over the Internet how does that suddenly turn it into 'not a TV programme'. They do still use TV Detector Vans, or at least they claim to on their website. TV detector vans do not use any signal from the tube in their detection they use the local oscillator. Any device that can receive an analogue tv signal (for example a VCR) has a local oscillator in it and will be detectable, even if it had no display at all connected to it. If I was sitting outside your home with a spectrum analyser I could not only tell you whether or not you had a telly, I could also tell you what channel you were watching.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote