How To Fillet Fish

Elton

Guest challenge
Have just looked at the vid of challenge filletting a fish, he has done no more than i did on my video except keep the belly parts attached to the meat, i just simply take them off later if making fish cakes or as someone suggested boling for soup or fish stock. What the knowledgeable anglers on this site have not realised is that the video i produced was so that others can see what is being done. I too can fillett fish very quickly i found it harder actually doing it slowly, i can fillett a fish with no more than four or five cuts with the knife but i have been filletting for a long time, including filletting at sea. And some of you must not be used to catching fish as in the video neither of the fish used where anywhere near 4lb, or when you repot your catches do you add a few pounds on. And as for using an old fish if you had listened to what the commentary said "fresh caught" was the optimum word. But obviously the knowledgeable anglers have done neither listen to what hads been said, watched properly or even read the hints and tips before watching the video. Obvioulsy because they are so knowledgeable that there way of doing things and there views are correct that they can ridicule anybody elses, even though I do not see anywhere on the sitte where they have shared their vast knowledge with others, obviously these knowledgeable anglers think it is beneath them. It must be great to have anglers ona site like that, it means that others do not have the need to shrae their meagre limited knowledge with others, so this will be my last visit to Anglers Net.

Those who know nowt think they know it all

Those who know a lot realise they actually know very little

Hold on hairy beast.

I was not criticising you. Far from it. I think that they should be more put in to preserving your catch and what to do with it.

Fish is to often spoil by anglers who just want to catch and keep not having a clue what to do with there catch afterwards.

For you to take the time to make that video was great.

You are correct it is harder to fillet slowly (when you know how) than it is to fillet fast.

I am sure that many have learned from your video.

Most of the ones who criticize practice catch and release anyway. Could be the main reason they practice catch and release is because they have not got the skills to process the catch anyway?

Take care mate and if I have offended you in any way I can assure you it was not intentionally.

Regards.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a look at both Films and I can say the one Elton put on was as if a blind man was cutting up the fish...I had not seen anything like it...thought it was a joke thing..it was like scary cod 2 film...the chap had no idea(but he had ago) don't knock him for that....As to Challenge he fillets fish as his job...he get's paid for it...so he as to work quick ...I myself can fillet at speed as a trained person..either meat or fish....you will not see anyone faster then Challenge,only my mate the other Graham and me....I think get rid of the other vid as a comic one.....how do you bone a side of beef out????

I took a look at both Films and I can say the one Elton put on was as if a blind man was cutting up the fish...I had not seen anything like it...thought it was a joke thing..it was like scary cod 2 film...the chap had no idea(but he had ago) don't knock him for that....As to Challenge he fillets fish as his job...he get's paid for it...so he as to work quick ...I myself can fillet at speed as a trained person..either meat or fish....you will not see anyone faster then Challenge,only my mate the other Graham and me....I think get rid of the other vid as a comic one.....how do you bone a side of beef out????

unfortunately because of circumstances i have had to return to make a post. In no way was i having a go at challenge a person who i respect for the time and informmation he has passed onto other anglers on more than one site, or all the others who have made constructive comments. I thought it may have been obvious who the people i meant where, just in case i will name them CJS2, Kagger, Steve Good and Colin W. and walcott who mentioned a side of beef

Alan,

Over 500 people have viewed that clip already and I bet most of them enjoyed it and learnt from it.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Good, bad or indifferent we're all entitled to our opinions and forums are the place to voice them, witness the never ending commercial v RSA debates. I doubt any of those people that commented mean't for you to take their comments so personally or to upset you, they were just voicing their opinions right, wrong or indifferent, with the obvious exceptions of the usual wind up merchants.

Edited by Holmesy

Hiya hairy beast, I thoroughly enjoyed your filleting demo and know that a lot of AN members appreciate the Video and shall now have a go at filleting their own catch rather than leaving it to the boatman. RE the snide and sarcastic comments, just ignore them and carry on with your constructive posting. :thumbs:

Safety habits last a lifetime.

keep the info coming, last time i filletted a cod, i had to use my billhook, bones were too tough for my filletting knife.

good info, ignore the spoilsports.

Who are the "spoilsports" ?

can we have them identyfied and punished? :black_eye:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Hiya hairy beast, I thoroughly enjoyed your filleting demo and know that a lot of AN members appreciate the Video and shall now have a go at filleting their own catch rather than leaving it to the boatman. RE the snide and sarcastic comments, just ignore them and carry on with your constructive posting. :thumbs:

True Gannet true.

Hairy Beast see : http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/n...m=1&bbram=1

I've relied on that movie to date but if I had any finger ends left I'd adopt your method. :)

BTW The quinies set a record 65/min around 1m55s into the movie.