How To Fillet Fish

Elton

Alan,

Over 500 people have viewed that clip already and I bet most of them enjoyed it and learnt from it.

A search around the north east forums will show lots of good stuff from Alan. Although I hardly post on nesa anymore I read it regulally - mostly Alans pages. Top Stuff. For anyone interested in north east fishing they are a good way to find out what is going on where and when.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately because of circumstances i have had to return to make a post. In no way was i having a go at challenge a person who i respect for the time and informmation he has passed onto other anglers on more than one site, or all the others who have made constructive comments. I thought it may have been obvious who the people i meant where, just in case i will name them CJS2, Kagger, Steve Good and Colin W. and walcott who mentioned a side of beef

Personally 'hairy beast', I take exception to your intimation of me criticising your video. Far from it, I have agreed that the belly flesh on a small fish is a wast of 'eating time', I normally remove the belly flap on codling. However, with bigger fish, I like to include it in the fillet, thats my personal choice, 10lb plus fish, you know, the ones we dont see to often these days :blink:

Freshly caught? thats a domestic sink in the video, kitchen, gutting shed? how long from net/hook to sink? Nevertheless, cod can be left and often are, catch them in the morning, gut on the trip home in the late afternoon? I simply made the comment that I seem to remember an old salt telling me that cod flesh is whitter if 'gutted and bled' as soon as possible once boated, perhaps with your obvious experience you can confirm that?? Think it was something to do with a better price at market?

Please mate, befor you go head long criticising and finger pointing, get 'you facts right'.

CJS2

Hi all

back again, you didnt think a bunch of idiots would detere a thick skinned old saok like myself. Have put up with commments like that for years, just take them with a pinch of salt and have a good laugh. Bet those who i repleid to got more upset than angrier than i did. Cracking vids them seaside and challenge, challenge i was the one in the trilby by the way.

CJS in reply it was you who got the facts wrong in the first place, you stated i was using a four hour old cod, it was still flapping half an hour before i filletted it. I would not attempt to fillett a cod four hours old, cod left with there guts in tend to go slightly soft, and they do not cook properly, it would be my preference to gut it and leave it over night for the meat to firm. Another thing that happens if you do not bleed a fish either by gutting or slitting its throat is that the blood can seep into the meat and badly discolour it.

Just to let you know i am intending, when i get them to do one for flatties, no doubt i will have to snaffle a plaice or flounder from some open i will be at. If anybody has a spare spurdog you could pop it in the post, they are easy to prepare and taste great. Someone has also asked if i can do some vids on how to cook fish in different ways. I will see what i can do, then the knockers can have a go at them as well. Pity they wont put thier ways of doing things on vids so we can see how the experts do it.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that this forum is funded as some sort of "Care in the Community" project, with a few of the posters on here viewing it as some sort of anger-management exercise.

Why the hell can't people respond to posts without resorting to insults?

Guest challenge
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that this forum is funded as some sort of "Care in the Community" project, with a few of the posters on here viewing it as some sort of anger-management exercise.

Why the hell can't people respond to posts without resorting to insults?

A successful poster on this forum is a man (or woman) who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that other posters have thrown at them. :)

At least through this thread I've found out who "hairy beast" is.

The point has been missed by some of the so called "experts" on the merits of fish filleting. It was'nt aimed at those who are proficient with a knife , it was aimed at those who either make a hash of it or don't quite know what to do with their catch and to those to whom it was intended it is a good instructional video so why the need to give the guy a hard time?

Just in case anyones wondering I'm not at all bad with a fish knife and I can confirm that when showing someone how to fillet and going slowly you can come across as a bit cack handed but when done at speed the filleting action is smooth and quick

I did'nt mean to cause offence to Hairy beast at all ...say the pun when he replied about the beef boning out..I didnt catch on till this morning...Hairy beast,side of beef...sorry I did not mean it that way at all...I am trained to cut/cull beasts,Cow/sheep./pig/deer etc,also you may or not believe that I am a good fisherman and filleter...so please accept my apologies for any s... involved..have a nice day

One thing i never do when filliting fish is to leave the fillets in a bucket of water as what happens to your fillet is it dehydrates and so shrinks in size ,if you lay in the bath for to long your skin looks like its crinkly its the same effect commercial filleters always have the whole fish in big bath of water so as when you pick a fish out to fillet the knife will go through the fish with ease as its wet and not dry and they never put fillites into buckets of water its taboo they would look shrunk and shrivelled in a wet fish shop window, when you have fillted a fish just give it a quick dip in water and lay it down to drain off the fillets look ten times better and are more moist when they are cooked.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg