Greys Nitra

skippytheroo

Hi all

I snapped my Greys Nitra last night. I am a little annoyed to say the least considering the cost of the rod. I was snagged and gave my usual 2 or 3 pulls before I release some line and pull it out with my hand. I bought the rod for using as a rock rod and indeed the Nitra is marketed as a rough ground rod. I realise I can get the tip section replaced under the lifetime guaruntee but this is going to cost me £30 along with the inconvenience of having no rod for the next couple weeks or so.

Im wondering if anyone else has experience of these rods snapping as Im sure I read reports, possibly on here, of them not being reliable as regards snapping. If this is the case I think Im going to insist to greys that they swap the rod for a more robust one in the range. I even mentioned this to my dealer about 2 weeks after buying the rod that I had heard reports of them snapping, he told me that he had sold loads of them and hadnt had one snapped yet.

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont Greys give a lifetime guarentee ?

I might be wrong :headhurt:

I would contact them B)

"I realise I can get the tip section replaced under the lifetime guaruntee"

DOH!!!! :lol:

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif

Hi Skippy.

It was me last year mine snapped at the tip and I've heared the same story several times before. Mine snapped at the tip and as directed by Greys I cut up the tip and sent it back in a large envelope. I sent it back minus 30 pound or is it £40. The guy phoned me asking for the money and I was not best pleased - I gave him a piece of my mind. I told him the rod was fairly new and that in the middle of a very short fishing season it had let me down. I refused to pay any money and told him I wanted a full refund and was now wishing i'd opted for a centuary rod which I was looking at at the same time as buying the nitra.

Strangely enough a brand new rod arrived next morning by courrier with no more questions asked. Its seen about 3 months of fishing now (and looks knackered - eyes bent, inserts come out of eyes and whipping varnish coming off). Itis in one piece and I quite like it as a blank (good for casting), but I'm not overly confident of how long it might last.

p.s as for requesting a more robust one. Word is the Apollo's are as robust as the Nitra.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...60&hl=nitra

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...55&hl=nitra

Edited by glennk

Thanks Glenn

I did a search on here and found your post about it. I am most annoyed cause at the time I was looking at the nemesis and the greys. I felt that the Nemesis was a little too stiff for my puny body to cast with and I had seen you with a Nitra when we went to Boulby last year. I wish Id asked you about it at the time now but hindsight is a wonderful thing :P I remember going back in about 2 weeks after id bought it when you posted last year and telling him about them snapping and he re assured me that he had sold loads and not had one snapped yet. I think Im gonna go try my luck with him as he is a Greys dealer and has proved more than helpful with replacing gear in the past then I might try your method :P

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

The Greys Nitra is well known for snapping at the tip about a foot from the tip eye. Lots of anglers from my area have had the same problem as you've identified and won't touch them now.

The lifetime guarantee should'nt come into play with a rod thats only a fortnight old, it should be replaced as there is something plainly wrong with it. From what I'm led to believe the break occurs where the wrap and weave changes in the tip and the composition of materials differs and causes a weak spot in the tip and it can snap with the gentlest of pulls even when its chucked out leads to the horizon the cast before.

Complain and don't bother to send the £30 to make the guarantee work and if they refuse to honour any replacement your local trading standards will take it up for you

Greys are making there rods in chine now i understand and whether the quality is the same nobody knows but quite a lot of greys rods do seem to have the problem of snapping, i still use my old conoflex tournament extreme it was very stiff when i first got it but its a lot softer now and does the job a proper rock rod.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Cunningly, the £30 you're supposed to send with the broken rod to cover administration or whatever its for, is approximatley what it costs greys to buy the rods in from china.

Greys are hardly putting themselves out with their lifetime guarrantee are they?

That's right kagger. I recently spoke with someone who whips rods, Brian gave me the number, and this guy tells me that on a tip section they can actually make a small profit at 30 quid.

I still use my old conoflex tournament extreme it was very stiff when i first got it but its a lot softer now and does the job a proper rock rod.

If your the Jolly green giant they're a good rod. For someone of average proportions they are like using a scaffold tube, in fact an alloy scaffold tube with eyes whipped on would make a similar rod.

Hi all

I snapped my Greys Nitra last night. I am a little annoyed to say the least considering the cost of the rod. I was snagged and gave my usual 2 or 3 pulls before I release some line and pull it out with my hand. I bought the rod for using as a rock rod and indeed the Nitra is marketed as a rough ground rod. I realise I can get the tip section replaced under the lifetime guaruntee but this is going to cost me £30 along with the inconvenience of having no rod for the next couple weeks or so.

Im wondering if anyone else has experience of these rods snapping as Im sure I read reports, possibly on here, of them not being reliable as regards snapping. If this is the case I think Im going to insist to greys that they swap the rod for a more robust one in the range. I even mentioned this to my dealer about 2 weeks after buying the rod that I had heard reports of them snapping, he told me that he had sold loads of them and hadnt had one snapped yet.

:clap2: Under the sale of goods act, "a product must be suitable for the purpose intended and last a reasonable time". The "one year guarantee" no longer really exists but a seller may give you a guarantee as long as it does not affect your statatury rights under the sale of goods act. ie, "a lifetime guarantee for £30" would be in addition to your rights under the sale of goods act, not in place of. Also your claim is against the person that sold you the rod, not Greys. It's up to the seller to solve your problem and then claim any cost from the firm that sold him the rod. I hope this helps in your claim. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B

That's right kagger. I recently spoke with someone who whips rods, Brian gave me the number, and this guy tells me that on a tip section they can actually make a small profit at 30 quid.

If your the Jolly green giant they're a good rod. For someone of average proportions they are like using a scaffold tube, in fact an alloy scaffold tube with eyes whipped on would make a similar rod.

are you saying me and big cod resemble the jolly green giant ?

i had an extreme a while back [ some swine stole it out of my car] i use a nemasis diabalo for the rough stuff and its a bit stiffer than the extreme was , it needs at least 7oz leads to bend it somtimes use 9oz fish leads when cliff fishing they stick like limpits