Mr. Fix it required

*Ant*

Got a problem with the power socket in the back of the other halfs laptop, gets very hot :huh: . Tried other power leads and got the same problem so know it's not that. Local techy shop wants £60 just to have a look and say if it needs a new power fingy-me-jig that it won't be economical to repair due to cost.

Any help/ideas?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Got a problem with the power socket in the back of the other halfs laptop, gets very hot :huh: . Tried other power leads and got the same problem so know it's not that. Local techy shop wants £60 just to have a look and say if it needs a new power fingy-me-jig that it won't be economical to repair due to cost.

Any help/ideas?

ASk a few people on this site ................there responce time is great , and info is 1st class

http://www.windowsbbs.com/index.php

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt

Guest sandpipper

H ANT, hasnt there been a lot in the papers of late about laptops catching fire because of over heating, something to do with the batterys and a lot were recalled, dont quote me on it but i think a lot of them were dell`s laptops. Tony

Edited by sandpipper

not only the sony? batteries but also shorted batteries of any age will heat things up .

does the machine run ok on purely battery power for the time its supposed to.

if its used up its battery in purely battery mode then is being "used" at the same time as charging the battery it will get hotter than normal.

also (and this applies to normal pc's) if it has a fan on the psu ,turn it off and with a suitable instrument see how free the fan blades are ,if they appear stiff then the fan needs replacing or in my case i would regrease it ,the stiff fan puts a great strain on the psu and usually is the cause of them dieing.dust being the other one

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

most name brands have disassmbly instructions on the web (tosh etc).

But laptops are a swine to get apart - it took me a few hours to get at the power part of a tosh last week and they never fit back together very well!

As chesters said - remove the battery and see if still gets warm.

& does the power jack look sooty?? or make a 'crackle' when you wiggle it?

I had a chap at work hand one over with a 'trust' psu - this had the wrong jack on it for the machine and would pop and spark!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

bloody worse getting the back together ,the ones that made it are genetically modified to have 3 tiny hands that can push ribbon cables in their sockets whilst making sure everything else lines up and have a special third eye that can spot where that poxy tiny screw that just fell in went :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ant, My Toshiba Laptop was recently sent back to the makers, under warranty...Same with mine, heating up terribly... Before I sent it,I asked Nick, he reckoned Dust was the problem...It came back with a full report....Dust, WAS the problem...so, if you can take it to bits, do so, and give it a good blast with one of those Air Cartridges you get for cleaning PC's...

Also, it might be a Dry Solder connection, which is seemingly common too... :D:D

Hope this is of some help mate.... :thumbs:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I too had a DRY joint on the power supply on My Samsung. But to be honest if I use it AS a laptop it does tend to burn the old "Weggies" a tad. :blink:

But as described, try it WITHOUT the battery intact. But DON@T spend £60 unless your unused name is Rothschild!!! :lol:

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Thanks all :thumbs: , tried removing the battery but still getting problems.

But (ah ha :unsure: ) I have more info - I guess the problem is a loose connection somewhere as if you fiddle with the adaptor plug at the back of the laptop the thing will turn off and on and "click click". (apologies if i'm being too technical :D )

Think i'll take it apart and see if there is anything obvious before placing it neatly on the drive........and running over it with my Pajero! <_<:D

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

probably a bad solder joint ,trouble is if it is resoldering may not last long because the heat weakens the joint ,soldering with high temp solder may cure it completely but needs more heat than over the counter irons and can in unskilled hands remove the tracks completely.

if its under warrenty send it back if not theres nothing to lose by removing the psu (or exposing the bit of board where it connects) and having a go youself with ordinary solder and iron but be carefull psu's bite for a day or so after switching off if you put your fingers in the wrong place ;)

try taking the offending bit to the local telly repair shop and asking them to solder it, it wont cost the earth if you do the dismantling etc