Removal of worms, crabs and Small fish for bait to be banned?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ken

No need for ya tin at.

You summed it up quite well, your perception of commercial fishing including pair trawling is a typical anglers perception, of cause it's totally inaccurate and there lies the problem until you all realise just how far out you are you will get nothing but contempt from the commercial sector, and more proposals like Pauls.

Hi Wurzle,

So you think that the cockling activities which destroyed the beach with hundreds and I do mean hundreds of vehicles, destroyed the cockle bed was a justified action?

Do you think the resulting action was correct?

I have as much if not more right to access Cefyn Sidan beach than any commercial from outside our area, there was no gain for the local population out of this stupidity only a loss which will have to be met out of local rate funds.

It is not just anglers who have grave concern about pair trawling and heavy bottom gear trawling it is a whole range of scientist, EU fisheries admit it is a problem but todate have failed to act with any real effect, the WWF has cited it and numourous other bodies, the only people who fail to rekonise these problems are the commercial fishing sector.

What the smaller independent commercials like yourself fail to see is the fact that these large corporate fleets are not only obliterating fish stocks they are also keeping down the true market price of fish landed, with less fish on the docks the price would go up.

I had to laugh at that stupid Cornish commercial fisheries representative who said there more fish on the dock with a smaller fleet and less fishing days which proves stocks are ok.

That sums it up very well, it is so short sighted and thickies like him will never be convinced until fish stocks are totally destroyed.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hi Wurzle,

So you think that the cockling activities which destroyed the beach with hundreds and I do mean hundreds of vehicles, destroyed the cockle bed was a justified action?

Do you think the resulting action was correct?

I have as much if not more right to access Cefyn Sidan beach than any commercial from outside our area, there was no gain for the local population out of this stupidity only a loss which will have to be met out of local rate funds.

It is not just anglers who have grave concern about pair trawling and heavy bottom gear trawling it is a whole range of scientist, EU fisheries admit it is a problem but todate have failed to act with any real effect, the WWF has cited it and numourous other bodies, the only people who fail to rekonise these problems are the commercial fishing sector.

What the smaller independent commercials like yourself fail to see is the fact that these large corporate fleets are not only obliterating fish stocks they are also keeping down the true market price of fish landed, with less fish on the docks the price would go up.

I had to laugh at that stupid Cornish commercial fisheries representative who said there more fish on the dock with a smaller fleet and less fishing days which proves stocks are ok.

That sums it up very well, it is so short sighted and thickies like him will never be convinced until fish stocks are totally destroyed.

I sometimes wonder if you and others with similar posts are just on a windup, but if you are serious, then there is not much I can do to alter yours and others opinion.

I know nothing of cockle harvesting , or cockle mining, I don't relate it to a fishing activity although I suppose it is. I can say that the cockle boats in the Thames estuary are very strictly controlled.

The reason the commercials don't recognise a problem with pair trawling is simply because there is not any problems with pair trawling, the reason that organisations such as WWF have failed to get it banned is because their evidence is about as solid as smoke, same goes for bottom trawling.

With less fish on the dock, the merchants would simply import it from abroad

The price of fish can only go up so far before it is taken off the menu, I have already experienced this recently.

Why was the Cornish commercial fisheries representative stupid, he was telling the truth, the SW fleet has done very well in the last few years, with no shortage of fish on the grounds.

In fact I don't know of any commercial fishermen that are complaining of a lack of fish any where around the UK. I reckon it 's going to be a while before we've emptied the oceon, the trouble is Ken the buggers keep breeding.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I sometimes wonder if you and others with similar posts are just on a windup, but if you are serious, then there is not much I can do to alter yours and others opinion.

I know nothing of cockle harvesting , or cockle mining, I don't relate it to a fishing activity although I suppose it is. I can say that the cockle boats in the Thames estuary are very strictly controlled.

The reason the commercials don't recognise a problem with pair trawling is simply because there is not any problems with pair trawling, the reason that organisations such as WWF have failed to get it banned is because their evidence is about as solid as smoke, same goes for bottom trawling.

With less fish on the dock, the merchants would simply import it from abroad

The price of fish can only go up so far before it is taken off the menu, I have already experienced this recently.

Why was the Cornish commercial fisheries representative stupid, he was telling the truth, the SW fleet has done very well in the last few years, with no shortage of fish on the grounds.

In fact I don't know of any commercial fishermen that are complaining of a lack of fish any where around the UK. I reckon it 's going to be a while before we've emptied the oceon, the trouble is Ken the buggers keep breeding.

Ok Wurzle let me try it another way.

Commercial methods have change greatly over the last two decades, as someone who knows very little about commercial activities could you please explain to me the reasons for developing pair trawling.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Commercial methods have change greatly over the last two decades, as someone who knows very little about commercial activities could you please explain to me the reasons for developing pair trawling.

PURE GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest challenge
No apparently its nothing to do with catching fish. Its to save fuel.

:lol::lol::lol:

Know a lot about pair trawling then glen?

Have you been down and asked your friends in the industry why they have changed back over from pair trawling this year?

Why are the majority of boats in this country not pair trawling then?

When asking your friends why they stopped pair trawling, perhaps you could ask them why they went pair trawling in the first place. I asked him (James Cole that is) guess what he said. :lol::lol::lol:

Hello Ken

I am not really the person to comment on trawling methods, I know very little about that aspect of the job.

I do know that at certain times and for some species pair trawling is more effective or more cost effective per effort involved. don't forget that what comes up in one cod end has to be split between two boats and two separate crews, often when you work out the earnings per boat it is not so great.

As for commercial methods having changed greatly over the last two decades. So it might have, but not so much in the last 20 odd years that I have been fishing full time, not that I've noticed any way.

I've worked out some figures that might interest you all, you must realize that successful fishermen work hard, they work the boat to its maximum capabilities, if you don't you are not doing the job properly, if there is nothing put by for hard times ,i.e. bad weather, engine break downs or periods when the fishing is poor, sooner or later you will have problems surviving, if you are working the boat properly it is not possible to catch any more fish than you already do, in fishing you can never make up for lost time, if you can then you weren’t doing the job properly in the first place.

When I first built the boat I have now (20 years ago) you could buy a house for £20,000 now the same house would cost £170,000.

Now baring in mind that it is not possible to work any harder to catch more fish, in some cases the government expect me to catch a lot less.

Taking in account the rise in fish prices.

20 years ago 5 ton of bass = £20,000

now 28 ton of bass = £170,000

20 years ago 6 ton of soles

now 24 ton

20 years ago 40 ton of herring

now 340 ton

20 years ago 25 ton of cod

now 68 ton

20 years ago if I paid a crew £200 per week they were very happy and on a high wage compared to others, now they need £500 just to survive.

You see Stavey greed has nothing to do with it.

Glen now perhaps you can see what young Locker meant by needing a bigger boat to stay a head of the game, it don't always work though, because the bigger the boat the bigger the bills.

Hello Challenge

Would that be James Cole son of Robert, was the land lord of the Ship Inn for a time.

If you see Robert say Hi for us.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge

Hi wurzel.

Yes that’s him; nice lad who has many survival qualities’s that his dad had.

He said that they only went pair trawling because at the time it was the more economical, fuel wise.

He said that they had gone back single trawling because they did not find it economical at the present time.

Single trawling has it’s drawbacks but pair trawling brings twice as many problems into the equation of making a living.

I was off fishing with your mate derrick the other day. He sends his regards. He was enjoying himself with our long lines; well he was until the seal arrived. :lol:

Regards.

Hello Ken

I am not really the person to comment on trawling methods, I know very little about that aspect of the job.

I do know that at certain times and for some species pair trawling is more effective or more cost effective per effort involved. don't forget that what comes up in one cod end has to be split between two boats and two separate crews, often when you work out the earnings per boat it is not so great.

As for commercial methods having changed greatly over the last two decades. So it might have, but not so much in the last 20 odd years that I have been fishing full time, not that I've noticed any way.

I've worked out some figures that might interest you all, you must realize that successful fishermen work hard, they work the boat to its maximum capabilities, if you don't you are not doing the job properly, if there is nothing put by for hard times ,i.e. bad weather, engine break downs or periods when the fishing is poor, sooner or later you will have problems surviving, if you are working the boat properly it is not possible to catch any more fish than you already do, in fishing you can never make up for lost time, if you can then you weren’t doing the job properly in the first place.

When I first built the boat I have now (20 years ago) you could buy a house for £20,000 now the same house would cost £170,000.

Now baring in mind that it is not possible to work any harder to catch more fish, in some cases the government expect me to catch a lot less.

Taking in account the rise in fish prices.

20 years ago 5 ton of bass = £20,000

now 28 ton of bass = £170,000

20 years ago 6 ton of soles

now 24 ton

20 years ago 40 ton of herring

now 340 ton

20 years ago 25 ton of cod

now 68 ton

20 years ago if I paid a crew £200 per week they were very happy and on a high wage compared to others, now they need £500 just to survive.

You see Stavey greed has nothing to do with it.

Glen now perhaps you can see what young Locker meant by needing a bigger boat to stay a head of the game, it don't always work though, because the bigger the boat the bigger the bills.

Hello Challenge

Would that be James Cole son of Robert, was the land lord of the Ship Inn for a time.

If you see Robert say Hi for us.

Hi Wurzle,

Those figures support my argument, you are not getting a fair market price, your not much better of per ton if you take into consideration wage rises, cost of living and I expect running cost have gone up considerably.

Prices are being pegged because of the threat of cheap imports, now that will not bother the corporate lads as they will have a foot in many camps, wholesalers don't give a monkeys because if you don't supply they can import and they are all part of the corporate camp.

I agree the pair trawl teams split the cod end but lets be honest if it didn't pay they would not do it, maybe I am wrong but as I see it it is bigger hauls and less trips equalling higher profits per ton of whatever.

The problem I see is smaller nets take only a small proportion of a shoal bigger nets take the whole shoal that is what makes it more efficient, more cost effective and to my mind and many others who are a down sight cleverer than me, this is where the damage is done not only to stocks but also your living. You survive by ducking and diving, you know your patch and you fish it well, but how long will that last.

Both sides tell bigger stories to catch attention but from where I'm sat the stories on the conservation side are getting bigger and more supported where as the commercial side keeps wheeling out the same old stories with little to back them up.

A lot of people think if you ain't been there and done that you can't comment, but that's not true anymore. As a quality assurance manager working on the biggest projects in the world I had no hope of having been there and done that for all aspects of the job. But all the information is out there, yes it is a paper chase but it works, you can fleece information from the best minds in the world and from those who work on the sticky end and what I read maybe not all doom and gloom but it certainly dosn't look that rosey.

eat.gif

Petals Florist