Centrepin Users

dogstick

I say this as people often say that pins are so hard to use or people only use them (despite the disadvantages) for reasons other than their suitability for the job.

Can't see how they are difficult to use actually......i think people over exagerate the difficulty....bit like "the art of fly fishing"....to fly fish competently does not take much practice. Some folk are better/masters at it, yes, but any reasonable angler can soon learn to cast a fly....or use a 'pin.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say this as people often say that pins are so hard to use or people only use them (despite the disadvantages) for reasons other than their suitability for the job.

Can't see how they are difficult to use actually......i think people over exagerate the difficulty....bit like "the art of fly fishing"....to fly fish competently does not take much practice. Some folk are better/masters at it, yes, but any reasonable angler can soon learn to cast a fly....or use a 'pin.

No, I agree there, they are not really that hard to use, but they take a little practice so as to reduce the chance of tangles, and improve their ability to cast when required.

As for "the art", well there are a lot of aspects to using a pin. Simply trotting a float down letting line peel off the reel, well there isn't much to that really. The Wallis cast could be compared to a fly cast though - in that a well executed fly cast "feels right". Much the same as a well hit golf ball or snooker ball etc "feels right". A wallis cast gives me that same feel (when I get it right), and is a good feeling.

I suppose wallis casting is one area of using a centrepin that could be considered an art form, but then a wallis cast isn't necessary to using a 'pin. So maybe it's the wallis cast that could be considered the art form, rather than the whole centrepin thing. Dunno. Don't really care, I just love 'em! And even if they are no better at catching fish than a closed face or whatever, I'd still use a pin.

. Simply trotting a float down letting line peel off the reel, well there isn't much to that really.

Well there's MUCH more to trotting than simply letting line run off a reel!!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Well there's MUCH more to trotting than simply letting line run off a reel!!!!

C.

I know, but nothing that couldn't be done with a fixed spool - a lot of the float control you do at long distance (and I say it this way cos Mr. P is a bit of a trotting master) is down to rod control (?). The centrepin does make it easier (you can adjust the line speed, retrieve a bit of line, let a bit of line out etc. all just by using your thumb). You could say long trotting is an art form, but that's not saying "using a centrepin" is an artform because of it. It's just a part of the bigger picture.

It's too early for this...!

As some of you are aware, I've not been posting too regularly on here for a couple of months - I'm only just back in circulation having been a guest of an NHS coronary care unit for a while.

I was given a Free Spirit Searcher (the Aerial copy) 3 years ago, and my children bought me an Aventa Pro for my birthday this year. The Aventa Pro has it all over the Free Spirit in terms of performance and usability.

I thought the Free Spirit was a decent reel until I tried the Okuma, which is lighter, more free running and he ratchet works consistently. I had the Free Spirit serviced and whilst it was a marked improvement, it still can't touch the Okuma for trotting or margin fishing.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

As some of you are aware, I've not been posting too regularly on here for a couple of months - I'm only just back in circulation having been a guest of an NHS coronary care unit for a while.

I was given a Free Spirit Searcher (the Aerial copy) 3 years ago, and my children bought me an Aventa Pro for my birthday this year. The Aventa Pro has it all over the Free Spirit in terms of performance and usability.

I thought the Free Spirit was a decent reel until I tried the Okuma, which is lighter, more free running and he ratchet works consistently. I had the Free Spirit serviced and whilst it was a marked improvement, it still can't touch the Okuma for trotting or margin fishing.

Hi Alan, I hope you're recovering well.

Very interesting about the Okuma. You've probably seen from the other topic that I'm undecided about the Aventa Pro and the Sheffield but from the feedback on here I reckon I can't really go wrong with the Aventa Pro. Okuma have really breathed new life into the centrepin market!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks to everyone for taking time out to reply,all really helpfull and tend to be pointing towards the okuma aventa/pro for practicallity over looks and name.Still not eactlly a snip mind with an rrp over £110 but possible to pick one up cheaper with patience.

Of course the next thing is learning to use the bugger!!

DS

I'd like to get back to the original question of the pros and cons of a centrepin, and presumably whether it's worth buying one. IMO it depends on what sort of waters you fish, how much you'll use such a reel, and how much spare cash you've got.

I think Den made a very good point earlier on about missing out some very good swims that aren't suited to a 'pin. However it depends why you're going fishing. I enjoy lure fishing and often use lures for the fun of it even when I know I'm more likely to catch using baits.

I suspect the same applies with fishing a 'pin. However, I do take issue with those who claim a 'pin is always more efficient than a fixed spool reel.

In my experience, a centrepin is indeed more efficient when you're trotting not far off the rod tip, or fishing at right angles to the swim (as from a boat etc). At longer range I actually prefer to trot with a fixed spool reel, despite being brought up on centrepins. The former's more difficult to learn on but well worth mastering.

This will be sacrilege to centrepin fans, and I suspect that most who're still following this topic will be 'pin addicts! Thus the general consensus will probably be in favour of a 'pin. However, if centepins were that efficient every top matchmen would use one! They don't!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I don't have a problem with using the 'pin, in slow moving water, or 3-4 rod lengths out. The only difference I find is speed, and I think that will be the main reason why matchmen don't use them Steve. I use a 'pin because I like them, simple as that. If the conditions aren't favourable for it (too windy) then my old 501 comes into play. I went through a spell of using an open faced fixed spool, but I didn't enjoy it as much, so I changed back. I won't say that the 'pin is the best way, but it's the way I enjoy my fishing, and I do go to enjoy myself. :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John