Casting hype

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Guest stevie cop

Hi Winter

I fish from clacton up to sizewell, so sort of south east really.

Sometimes if you can put a bait onto the first bar and into the gulley beyond it, you will get far better results than if fishing the first gulley.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

I think we are really lucky here to have the ground we have. with deep water only metres away we dont kneed to cast far. I understand why you lads need to cast when I here that your beaches run out for a couple of hundred yards at no more than 2 feet deep.

Hi All,

When I first drove onto Cefn Sidan at low tide it looked totally featureless, being 12kl long it was a job to know what to do. There are no deep gullies just flat sand. Ther are how ever shallow dips running out too sea and these are formed by the backwash of the surf.

I started of pumping the lead out as far as I could in order to fish in a reasonable depth of water. I found on my first session that this was a complete waste of time. Due to the pace of the flood tide 15 minutes after casting you have moved back so far you have nearly stripped all the line of your reel.

Now I drive down the beach looking for a shallow dip ( they seem to move fairly frequently during rough weather ) one that passes over a lug or shell fish bed. Crabs are not a problem, I cast out about 40 to 50 yards and move back with the tide and it works well.

Low tide observation works well for me on all marks which are uncovered and I do better on these marks than the deeper water marks which you cannot see.

Being honest Cfyn Sidan does look like a beach where a long cast would suit and the few I see fishing the beach tend to go that way and concentrate on the last hour of the ebb and low water. Only the odd one or two fish the tide back.

I understand Steve's comment, on a gulley beach maybe the surf is sucking the food back over the first bar turning that area into the feeding zone.

And like Winter said some guys have a knack of making the most from lesser quality tackle. The other thing we should remember is paying for the name. Example Sony are known for reasonable quality teles, they do not make their own plasma screens, they buy them from a company who sells them far cheaper under their own brand name. My guess is quite a lot of this goes on in the tackle trade especially with items such as bearings.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest jay_con

Your right about the bearings. My freind can get me just about any bearing for any real at no more than a couple of quid a pair. Which reminds me my 7500 and my slosh 20 both need new bearings

It happens with blanks as well, I picked up two rods in a tackle shop a couple of months back and asked the dealer what the difference was. Knowing me fairly well he replied " Only the price" One was £120 the other £230. Different eyes, butt grips and reel seat, the colour and finish was branded but the blanks were the same.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

tackle prices are a rip off ,reels are ok especially slosh bargain for a top reel.i try to buy rods 2nd hand as theres always a bargain going sometime.

as for casting i see nothing wrong with having the ability to cast a long way .its knowing when to use this ability that most people dont have.

heres an example in a doggy match my mate was catching 80yrds out the next peg was doubling this distance but not catching ,did he cast shorter to get among the fish.no.

but he was executing some very nice pendulum casts.

Being experienced anglers don't we need all the expertise available to us, if we are going to catch fish.

When beach fishing I cast a fair distance when necessary and fish in close when I think its the right option.

I often fish one rod short and one rod long, I even vary baits and rigs over two rods.

I have never been tournament casting, but I do recognise that most of the best beach fishing tackle development, has come from tournament casting.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

tackle manufacturers, dealers, magazines, tv angling shows ,etc,etc, all these and the people involved who make money out of recreational sea angling, need to hold their hands up and say what have they done to improve the overal chances of the average joe to go down the beach and catch a half decent fish. in my opinion very little, to sum extent they have made it harder. it has been said and i dont doubt it, that 10% catch 90% of the fish because the other 90% havn't got a clue how to use the modern technology, well that 90% of the 10% have been handicapped from the start they have been given no choice because thats how the manufacturers have manipulated the market to justify their ridiculous prices, have you also noticed that all the early pioneers of this equipment ie, tourney casters are now financialy involved in selling this stuff one way or another, all these people and wealth should now stand up and be counted and do something possitive about the real reasons why we dont catch decent fish anymore,ie, put some serious money in the various conservation org's like the NFSA,SACN,BASS, etc.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi Stavey,

That is a very true statement, they should invest in their future.

One problem though, most of the companies are own wholey or partly by American companies.

Now look at their investment and sponsorship in the states it is vast.

The salt in the wound, we pay more for the same tackle over here and the profits from here go over there.

Why do builders suffer from a lack of blanks, quite easy satisfy the American home market first.

I watched a fishing program recently and they gave the name of a braid that is far smoother with a better wearing surface causing less damage to your rod rings. I tried my hardest to find a UK stockist and there ain't one. Standard reply "It will be over here in a couple of years" :mad:

We can only try to get support over here from very small UK companies, there are not many and they do not have that much spare cash.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

hi ken, well we will just have to force them to contribute, does not the consumer dictate demand? its time we as anglers also stood up and be counted by ways of boycoting there products until they made a contribution, other countrys do and have done this with success, the french springs to mind though we dont need such drastic measures. what do you think.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly