Casting hype

Guest bennyTHEBASS

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon distance casting is another weapon in the armoury and worth having but it is not a panacea for all situations. I have noticed on here just how varied fishing is around the coast and every area requires different tactics and approaches so I am wary of preaching gospel on what is and what is not necessary in certain situations.

What we must all bear in mind is that this is an industry, it is commercial and that manufacturers are not going to make money selling a few products; some redundancy is needed to make you want the upgrade, just as with cars, TVs etc. Marketing has been described as the art of turning a want into a need. It is easy to get caught up in the hype, particularly when endorsed by magazines (remember they need to sell magazines and so always need an angle to get people buying, perhaps just in case their rod is not quite up to the mark). I have been caught up in it in the past but am now older, wiser and richer.

I'm now using extra virgin olive oil in my reel bearings, it's expensive so it must be the best. Right?

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Jim Roper:

If you think you have enough tackle, then don't buy any more. Is that approach too simple?

The stuff is so cheap(if you are in work) nowadays, compared to 40 years ago, and the essentials of life take up much less of our wages, it's no wonder that tackle makers are selling stuff that isn't really needed.

We used to dream of getting hold of a tank ariel to use for making a rod. Now it's not worth the time involved. Far better to do a few hours overtime and buy something ready-made, or give up booze and fags for a few weeks. You can have what ever you want nowadays, but you have to want it hard enough.

I have very good job and tons of gear,my point is (casting hype) its all a load of crap they say you must do this you must do that (*****). :mad: :mad: :mad:

Benny,

This casting thing has got you going hasnt it :D

I dont think anyone is saying you MUST do this and you MUST do that.

The options are there for people to make thier own choices.

The people on the beach, who appear to not know what they are doing, are proberbly learning.

Granted, a crowded beach is not the place to execute a full pendulum cast,by a competant caster or a novice, time and a place for it.

The guys with all the top of the range kit?, again peoples choice.

The manufactures of all this kit are there to provide a service to anglers, and , make money.

If people choose to buy, then they will make the stuff.

ALL sports are gimmick ridden,and you will never keep up with the changeing kit on offer.

Well....you could, but it would cost an arm and a leg, and an extention to the house :D

You say you have tons of gear .....why ??

Because you chose to feed the hungry makers of the kit, just like other people, now if you had stuck to one rod and reel, you could have given the rest of your hard earned, to the good of fishing :D:P

yy :)

the recent crowned club champion of my club by a mile was also an england gold medalist in the world championship in portugal 2003, now he is quite well known but ive never seen him put a bait more than 80yds out when he fishes, he would be the first to admit he is not a power caster i have fished along side him many times, and he puts every thing down to bait and presentation, he is a prime example as an average angler as regards casting abillities, ive watched him catch fish from parts of the beach others struggle to get a bite from and against so called monster casters who have blanked,benny i dont buy magazines any more, for the same reasons you posted this thread, i now go to second hand book shops and spend my money on anling books instead. far more useful and they look good on the bookshelf.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Stavey,

I realy do see your point,

I rarely stick a bait out more than 40 yds.

But it is nice to know, that if you need to, you can.

The conozipfleximicallits are the best tools to do the casting bit, a longer rod 13ft, is to your advantage when fishing big swell.

Medium action rods are great to use, in the calm conditions.

I think everything has its use and place.

These days, all I use are 40/60 grm spinning rods,much more fun :)

By the way....I need a new Tutu.....know of any :D:D:P

yaks i have a shed full of poles from zips 2500 to century tornadoes, im doing a booty sale later this year to get rid , i have fallen fowl many times to the hype as you can see, i will keep a little abu beachcaster its a cheap one i picked up this year and it realy is as good as those expensive ones i am getting rid of, but for petes sake they realy aught to change the record in them magazines it is so bl**dy boring, i dont buy them a friend does i sometimes look at them from time to time before he throws them away.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

theres always a market for good rods going cheap stavey.

heres a tip for buyers try and buy off someone who lives well inland as their gear will be little used and well looked after.

i know from experience.

as for the mags youve said all that needs said