Pike rod advice

Sportsman

I bet they are great fun Sipadan.Just wouldnt cast the baits and rigs I use though.

I don't know what you cast, but I'm sure you're right. The biggest baits I use are 3 - 4 oz and I only cast short distances on rivers. Blasting big baits out over the horizon isn't my idea of fun anymore, but each to their own of course :)

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotsman,I forgot to ask a question about the reels.What hand do you prefer for a multipler ie what hand to wind?

I ask this as IMHO your wasting your time with any other reels than ABU's but there may be a way round the expense problem!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Scotsman,I forgot to ask a question about the reels.What hand do you prefer for a multipler ie what hand to wind?

I ask this as IMHO your wasting your time with any other reels than ABU's but there may be a way round the expense problem!

Left hand wind Budgie, why, have you got some for sale?

Have to say I do like ABUs :)

The blanks I am going to get are described as Medium Heavy in action and are made of IM6 carbon.

I have other rods made from the same mak blanks and really like them. Think I'll go for the 10footers though.

At only $50 each they are a bargain, even with the shipping.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I agree with budgie, no point buying anything other than Abus if you want a multi. You can get 5501/6501 or similar from ebay for £30-35 so why compromise?

There are 2 schools of thought on the optimum length for boat rods. Some prefer a shorter rod as it's less cumbersome and has more leverage. Others say stick to a standard 12 to 13 footer.

My own feeling is it depends on the sort of waters you're fishing. If you're fishing a tree-lined river I can definitely see the point in having a short rod. However most of my boat fishing over the years has been done on big waters, both static and trolling, and I may well do a mixture of both on the same day.

Usually I take 2 rods on these trips, one short and one long. The first is the same 13 foot 3lb test curve rod I use from the bank. The extra length allows me to troll further away to the side of the boat.

It also enables me to pick up line quickly when drifter float fishing - yes, from a boat! The advantage here is that the boat doesn't spook the fish - it's amazing how often drifting a bait over the same area that a boat has unsuccessfully trolled through catches a fish! This rod is normally fished in a rest.

The second rod is a 10 footer with a nominal 2½lb test curve. This I especially like for what I call "touch trolling". This is essentially the same as bottom bouncing, except that I'm often fishing in midwater. Here I prefer the soft tip of a glass rod, and I hold the rod whilst feeling the line and fishing open bail arm. This has caught me pike on days when they've been cagey and dropping baits fished on conventional gear.

As has already been mentioned, glass rods are very robust, and this 10 footer does get bashed about a bit! It's built on a discontinued Conoflex blank but is stiffened with carbon under the handle to give it more power. Whilst you don't need to cast very far from a boat, the unsteady platform does mean that having some extra leverage is useful, especially on snaggy waters. There's plenty with this modified blank and it's landed pike to over 37lbs - alas not to my rod!

If you're interested, a friend still probably has a few of these and other glass blanks left, including a more powerful version of the one I use.

Alternatively, if you prefer carbon, Forum member Dave Lumb does a very wide range of suitable boat fishing rods and has extensive experience of this type of fishing.

Like Budgie I prefer short handles on a boat rod - or should I say even shorter handles as I don't like long handles anyway! Long handles can get in the way, especially as you should be wearing a lifejacket all the time you're in a boat. I'd add for the benefit of any inexperienced boat anglers that this includes when getting in and out. In fact, a lifejacket is the single most important item of tackle whenever you go boat fishing!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yes Steves post has summed up my thoughts on boat rods as well.More the specific job and location dictating the length rather than just the bank or boat option.

As Jeepster says if you look on Ebay you will be able to pick up reels at a good price.Shame is that the left hand wind models (001C designations) are a lot more in demand and therefore cost more.

I will PM you on this subject as I might have some info that will help you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks to Budgie an Peter I have just bought two ABU 5000, newly reconditioned for less than 15quid each.

Just have to get used to reeling with the "wrong" hand :):D

Now to build the rods to go with them - 10 footers with 12" handles I thnk :D

Thanks for the input

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Dave Lumbs Loch Tamers, which are probably the best boat rods available, have handles about 16-18" long. I think you'd find 12" handles too short as casting, even short distances with the longish rod and heavy bait requires a bit more handle for leverage.

Tim

Dave Lumbs Loch Tamers, which are probably the best boat rods available, have handles about 16-18" long. I think you'd find 12" handles too short as casting, even short distances with the longish rod and heavy bait requires a bit more handle for leverage.

Depends where you are measuring from Tim.

I put 14.5 inches behind an uplocking reel seat as standard on the Loch Tamers - which is just about right for a multiplier. I built a pair for someone recently with shorter handlea (it was what he wanted) and they were bloomin' awful!

Here's one in action recently!

tamer.jpg

Dave

dlstsig.png