Your Top 3 choice of Kayak ...

Volusian

Yes i am on the East Coast .... paddle a lot there and also surf kayak most weekends too. We use sea going touring kayaks for distance work .... so we are more than capable of handling sea going kayaks of most descriptions.

As for Fishing based kayaks the Tarpon is a nice kayak .... quite stable and paddles quite fast too - at least we think it does. We have no trouble with these models at all. We mostly do codding so only carry enough tackle for that only... and catch enough to keep us happy. We are certainly open to sensible suggestions for other kayaks for as and when we feel the need to upgrade. As we know there is a large choice available out there but not having tried them all we cant comment on most other makes.

We also intend to use the kayaks for long distance paddling / fishing weekends. We cannot see problems with the tarpons for this purpose but im sure there are more suitable models out there. I would like to slightly longer kayak at around 13ft or maybe 15ft - but storing a 15ft would be slightly difficult for me.

Also the reason for this thread is just to find peoples own personal choices for their kayaks... and hopefully find the No 1 choice overall. Ideally it would be a good overall fishing version and hopefully a good paddling design too... is there the perfect kayak out there .. ??

thanks ...

................................................................................

I have just seen where you are from - that East coast requires a kayak that is paddling orientated, or you will be severly hampered.

You don't need as much gear as you see many kayaks carrying - as GB, he has no fishfinder and catches plenty using the old fashioned way of knowing his ground!

Funny you putting the Tarpon 120 top of the list - why? out of interest. You are a big chap, so why a short kayak that won't paddle well? There must be another reason that you haven't let us know about.

What type of fishig are you going to be doing? If you are a fly only fisherman then you have even less gear to carry. Likewise for lure fishing. If you are going to be usig 2 foot long baits for cod of Whitby etc then you need somewhere to keep your bait handy......

Edited by Volusian

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would depend on when and where and what I was fishing for:

All round general sea fishing with confidence : Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Long distance/camping/fishing trips : Kaskazi Dorado

Fly fishing inshore marks : Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

River Fishing for Pike : Ocean Kayak Caper

For a great days summer fishing with a mate or the kids : Ocean Kayak Malibu II XL

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Volusian- Welcome...

For Paddling/Angling enjoyment, my vote (for what it is worth) is......

Scupper Pro TW - First Choice (1)

Prowler 13 - Second Choice (2)

RTM Mambo - Third Choice (3)

But it's very much horses for courses........

Scupper Pro is the 'Steeple Chaser'

Prowler 13 is the 'Hunter'

RTM Mambo/Ocean Frenzy is 'a good solid hack'

Given a choice between a ride or no ride the choice is simple.... no, not a bl--ding Jet Ski! :angry:

Moonyaker

Macski Kingfisher - my one and only, but it's not half bad.

Regards, Clive

That'll be Simon Everett, it's a very nice bit of kit, fast easy paddle, you only realise just how good when everyone is on the beach due to high winds, the kind you can't paddle against and Simon is out there flying up and down the beach as if it's perfectly normal to be doing so... helps that he's a little mad as well though :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

After a lot of shopping around and visiting various yak shops ended up buying a Bic Tobago for a bit of fun and stability when with the kids and a Tarpon 160I when I wanted to get somewhere fast and fun whilst fishing on the way. So it all depends on the water you are on, the weather, and your own ability.

I have to say that the Tarpon 160! Is great fun and fast but it’s a long way from bow to stern when fishing.

Nigel McCowen-Smith

Barnstaple

Devon

Tarpon 160i Angler Wilderness (Red)

Bic TOBAGO (yellow)

I DIDN'T MENTION IT.........! (well, only in my list)

I knew there was another reason for your short kayak preference....storage!

Yep, it's a pain for all of us. My new shed is 22 feet long!!! Takes a Kaskazi Duo, tandem sea touring kayak, with room at each end!!

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I DIDN'T MENTION IT.........! (well, only in my list)

I knew there was another reason for your short kayak preference....storage!

Yep, it's a pain for all of us. My new shed is 22 feet long!!! Takes a Kaskazi Duo, tandem sea touring kayak, with room at each end!!

anyone tried the freedom angler i liked it? :unsure:

Perception Freedom - paddles well. But the tankwell is a bit small and the cockpit limited for rigging. Nicely made mind.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo