Pike and zander fish-in

Anderoo

MASSIVE thanks to Anderoo for sorting it all out, Budgie for the excellent Pike Teach-in and for patiently answering all my persistent questions, and to everyone else for the great company.

Seconded. Although I only had time for a brief flying visit in the end, it Budgie's teach-in was immensely useful and well worth the journey. Sorry to hear that there weren't any fish for those who did stay though…

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to finally meet up with some forum members, many thanks to Anderoo for setting this up, and for Budgie for his pike tutorial, which as yorkio said, made the trip worthwhile by itself. Would have been nice to catch (anything!), but the overall experience gained (NO, a summer sleeping bag in the bivvy WON'T suffice!) was very welcome.

Not quite knowing whether to fish for pike during the day, or zander at night, I did both, and as a result only managed 6 hours sleep on the Saturday morning and 2 hours on the Sunday morning, all after only having had about 5 hours Thursday night. Not long back home after first having stopped at my Mother's (just around the corner form the fish-in) for a nice lunch, where I also managed to grab 2 hours kip. Needless to say I'm a little tired!

Edit: Photos

large.jpg

large.jpg

Edited by Angly

Geoff

I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you Yorkio, hopefully next time. I didn't even take any photos (d'oh) so thanks to Angly for putting those ones up. Combining the fishing with Budgie's teach-in was a great idea, it worked really well, we'll have to think about that again next time if it's practical.

Mods, you can probably unpin this and the pike teach-in topics now, thanks.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you Yorkio, hopefully next time. I didn't even take any photos (d'oh) so thanks to Angly for putting those ones up. Combining the fishing with Budgie's teach-in was a great idea, it worked really well, we'll have to think about that again next time if it's practical.

It was only when I was getting back into the car that I realised that apart from Budgie and Angly, I actually didn't have a clue who I'd met! I'll make sure I'm not in such a hurry next time too - after leaving the fish-in, I drove up to Scunthorpe for a dinner with some friends and then we were up at the crack of dawn the next day to drive back down to Newark for the fly fishing and shooting shows. Then back to Scunthorpe for a cup of tea and to pick up the car and then back to Gateshead! And all without so much as wetting a line all weekend…

Good pics

Never fished the fens but from those photos there looks like a hell of a lot of water to cover!

You should see the Relief Channel, Neil! 100 yards wide and 11 miles long. If I had the time I'd spend an awful lot of time on it, it's pretty much unfished these days...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi fallers, just a note to say thank you for giving us the opportunity to fish the recent zander fish-in you held, both Dave and I really enjoyed the session as well as enjoying meeting some of your forum members who where all very nice and pleasant to talk too. Here's an account of my experience...

Once there we choose our swims and eagerly set up, we noticed the water had quite a flow on it therefore a heavy weight was in order to keep the bait in one place. I cast my first two rods without problem but when it came to chucking out the third it snapped just above the Ferrule, I were gutted about that because this is the second time one of these rods has broke on me.

skyshot.jpg

It weren’t too long before Dave had his first pike which boosted our spirits but I’ll let him tell you about that. I waited all day and night for a run but nothing showed and at first light the following day I brought in the rods to re-bait. After baiting up with sardine head and lamprey, I chucked out the sardine then set the rod on the rest, turned round to pick up the other rod and I got a run, hit it right away due to line peeling off the spool but when I struck there was nothing there. I reeled in the bait then chucked out the lamprey and no sooner it hit the floor something picked it up, I had the bail arm off at this stage allowing the line to pull through my fingers, I could feel the fish shaking the bait but I still let it take line, this carried on for around 40 seconds then I struck, felt the fish on but it dropped off, I was shaking like a leaf because I was pretty sure it was a zander and not a pike.

Budgies teach-in

teachin.jpg

I saw no further action despite trying different baits, rigs and a lot of moving the baits around but on the last night Dave come up with the idea of using a single hook loaded with worms so we both tried that as it was something different to what other anglers were using that never worked either. Here’s a few more pictures I took whilst there.

slucer.jpg

sluce.jpg

rods.jpg

rods1.jpg

bankright.jpg

bankleft.jpg

Thanks again lads for a great time, your fish-in has give us the bug to catch a zander so the quest is now on :)

Keep Fishin

Andy

Hello guys :rolleyes: i am man from lithuania i come to uk in wigan 1 week ago. sorry my english is not good but i very like fishing espesaly with spinning and my favorit fish is a pike. :lol: so i will be happy if guys hellp my to know more about wigan canal and pikes in wigan :rolleyes: