Death Threat For Record Marlin

Bobj

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So - the kid caught a new world record fish and rather than eating part and dumping part, put the entire thing back to rejoin the same food chain it would be part of after dying from other causes.

Are marlin in short supply down your way? All the eggs that fine lady had laid over the years should pretty well ensure that is not the case.

I'm all for C&R as a general rule but I really can't see a problem with this.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

So - the kid caught a new world record fish and rather than eating part and dumping part, put the entire thing back to rejoin the same food chain it would be part of after dying from other causes.

Are marlin in short supply down your way? All the eggs that fine lady had laid over the years should pretty well ensure that is not the case.

I'm all for C&R as a general rule but I really can't see a problem with this.

So, Newt, when do we start C and R???

The orange roughy is taken in tonnes and there is a murmur of conservation.

Whales were nearly killed out of existance.....Damn that Gregory Birdbite. ;)

In Queensland, the spotty mackerel were taken in tonnes; in the last 4 years, I have caught 19 spotties because of the widespread netting. They were worth $12/kilo and then the market dropped out so the netters caught bigger quantities as the fish were sold at $4.50/kilo for pet food. Finally, the state govt. stopped the netting and now the catches are getting better. Strange, but the rec fishos' limit is 30 spotties per person; who wants 30 fish stuck in the deep freezer?? The buggers grow to 8 kilos.

America had an almost limitless supply of bison...... They also had the most populous bird in the world, the passenger pigeon; now extinct.... Mate, we must start somewhere, and soon.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/061127/2/11l1a.html

Seems that the fish, a female was weighed and then dumped; all for a world record........Seems that egos are more important than C and R.

:clap2: I can't see anything wrong with killing one fish. It was probably/possibly past it's breeding life anyway and think of all the small tuna etc. a fish that size would need to eat to survive. Killing it was probably a good conservation measure in the long run. One door closes, another door opens. I really don't think we as anglers should try to force our opinions on others over C & R about records. I quite agree with C & R over the wholesale slaughter of fish but not a once in a lifetime fish, I say, "well done, what a superb angling feat you lucky soul", or words to that effect.

Bag limits are there to protect species, just because there is a limit of say 12 , it doesn't follow that all anglers will take their 12. If a trawler is allowed a quota, then there's no reason anglers can't have a quota, fair's fair. When commercial fishing is banned than I will practice C & R 100%, until then I'll take the occasional fish for the table, or a record if I'm that lucky and as long as it's legal nobody will stop me. They can slag me off all they like but my concience will be clear because I've put many, many more fish back than I've kept. Roll on that 20lb bass or 15lb mullet. :clap2:

Interestingly, I was living in Cairns some 40 years ago, when the previous record for a Black Marlin was set at 1,064lbs.

Caught by a (then) young American, Richard Bach, who was working his way around Australia, and lucky enough to get a job as a deck-hand on Sea Baby.

There were a trio of Americans that I was mates with at the time, and we fished together from the shore, who also knew Richard.

On the day of the capture, we were buzzing, as tales were told of the unfortunate creature being dragged across the mud to be weighed, unfortunately it's stomach bursting, and the intestines etc being gathered to be included in the weigh-in.

Richard's capture, and the world-wide publicity that followed, sparked the beginning of Cairns as a big game fishing destination, in fact the recent 40 years celebrations of that event have just taken place and Richard was invited back for the celebrations (I exchanged a few emails with him recently recalling old times)

The thing is, at that time, no one batted an eyelid that the fish had been killed for the sake of a trophy shot and possible record.

How things and attitudes have changed.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Dec 2 2006, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: I can't see anything wrong with killing one fish. It was probably/possibly past it's breeding life anyway and think of all the small tuna etc. a fish that size would need to eat to survive. Killing it was probably a good conservation measure in the long run. One door closes, another door opens. I really don't think we as anglers should try to force our opinions on others over C & R about records. I quite agree with C & R over the wholesale slaughter of fish but not a once in a lifetime fish, I say, "well done, what a superb angling feat you lucky soul", or words to that effect.

Bag limits are there to protect species, just because there is a limit of say 12 , it doesn't follow that all anglers will take their 12. If a trawler is allowed a quota, then there's no reason anglers can't have a quota, fair's fair. When commercial fishing is banned than I will practice C & R 100%, until then I'll take the occasional fish for the table, or a record if I'm that lucky and as long as it's legal nobody will stop me. They can slag me off all they like but my concience will be clear because I've put many, many more fish back than I've kept. Roll on that 20lb bass or 15lb mullet. :clap2:

Aw sh*t, Norm. Why did you have to say that? Now I`m on record as agreeing with you :headhurt:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Dec 2 2006, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I see nothing wrong in what he did, a fish of that size is probably near the end of its natural life anyway. I regret in 1992 boating a 375lb blue marlin in Mauritius despite it being my first and only one, which took a little over 2 hours to boat. The problem then was that the boat crew, of which I was unaware, had to be told they would be compensated for the cost to them of not selling the fish on shore, before we started out, if any fish were to be caught and released. The result was that they stuck a gaff through its side another through the head and it was lashed to the side of the boat and brought to land. After being so damaged nothing else could be done.

Now as I understand it they touch the leader and that is counted as a catch. If the fish is a likely record breaker I don't know what happens.

I do recall at the same time a 1,400lb fish that got landed, another Blue. However, it was boated in 40 minutes and reckoned to have been knocking on heaven's door at the time it was caught.

Edited by Trubshaw

Out of many things I enjoy in life, those that start with an F tend to feature the most.

Plea to save our fish. Please visit http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ and sign it if you agree.

The one on the right is Trubshaw, the one on the left is Teal.

With a small population like Australia has, why do they need so many fish to eat that they are driving them to extinction?

Unfortunately, the Japs, Asians and Europeans are doing most of the netting. Europe has just about stuffed its own fishing.......If we practice C and R, we have stocks for our children's children.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.