Fuerteventura - report

vlad

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i thought FV was great................complete opposit to my favourit place (tobago) but still great, losts of very helpful people too, especially when it came to helping a bloke with a broken leg. Just a note though, don't go to costa calma unless you speak spanish or german, thankfully I speak some spanish and andrea some german, so we had a great time, others would struggle.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

most of the books I've found just show the reef fish.

Collins Pocket Guide to Fish of Britain and Europe illustrates all the fish mentioned by Vlad except Painted Comber (mentioned in text only) and the puffer fish

Very compact - it really WILL fit in a pocket.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Valentinni's sharpnose puffer - Canthigaster valentini

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Har...61120060226.jpg

A magnificent post Vlad

As someone who has just worked through the identification of a load of fish from the Amazon, I know how difficult (but fascinating) it can be.

Have just spent an enjoyable half-hour comparing your catches with my own from Teneriffe and Fuerteventura. Quite a lot of overlap.

Just one glitch. Valentinni's Sharpnose Puffer is an Indo-Pacific fish, found from the Red Sea to Japan and as far south as Australia. - so its not that one.

What I think your picture shows is a fish very closely related to the West African Sharpnose Puffer Canthigaster supramacula - possibly the Macronesian Sharpnose Puffer Canthigaster capistrata (which I've not seen, nor is it illustrated on Fishbase)

I have caught the Santa Cruz Puffer Canthigaster rostrata from Teneriffe, but your fish is different.

Here is a link to the W African puffer.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSum...ame=supramacula

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

A magnificent post Vlad

As someone who has just worked through the identification of a load of fish from the Amazon, I know how difficult (but fascinating) it can be.

Have just spent an enjoyable half-hour comparing your catches with my own from Teneriffe and Fuerteventura. Quite a lot of overlap.

Just one glitch. Valentinni's Sharpnose Puffer is an Indo-Pacific fish, found from the Red Sea to Japan and as far south as Australia. - so its not that one.

What I think your picture shows is a fish very closely related to the West African Sharpnose Puffer Canthigaster supramacula - possibly the Macronesian Sharpnose Puffer Canthigaster capistrata (which I've not seen, nor is it illustrated on Fishbase)

I have caught the Santa Cruz Puffer Canthigaster rostrata from Teneriffe, but your fish is different.

Hi Vagabond!

I think you are absolutely correct about the puffer fish. Thanks for taking the time to find it out!

Hi Vagabond!

I think you are absolutely correct about the puffer fish. Thanks for taking the time to find it out!

Cheers Vlad. Your very good pictures helped identification. On Teneriffe, we were pestered at some locations by Cape Verde Damselfish and Sea Peacock (a colourful little wrasse). Did you not see those on Fuerteventura?

RNLI Governor

A magnificent post Vlad

G'day mate. Does this link help you??

http://pick5.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=Canthigaster

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers Vlad. Your very good pictures helped identification. On Teneriffe, we were pestered at some locations by Cape Verde Damselfish and Sea Peacock (a colourful little wrasse). Did you not see those on Fuerteventura?

Yes, if you fish close to the rocks they'll pest you.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, i'm staying at the elba sara next week, VLAD, it's probably the Elba you mention, if so is it near enough to the shop you mention to avoid the need for taking terminal tackle?

will try not to break my leg this time.

just re read your report vlad, it really is excellent.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY