ANGLERS HAVE NOW MADE THEIR OWN BEDS

One question: Is a beam trawler, a trawler that tows a beam with a net attached to it, or a trawler that tows a trawl from outriggers attached at the beam of the vessel?

Jim, have a look at http://www.marlab.ac.uk/FRS.Web/Uploads/Do...hing%20Gear.pdf . It gives a good overview of the various methods used along with some clear diagrams. I think you'll find it very helpful.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point of the issue is that its these big factory boats that the public and those members of the public that go angling should be targeting. Inshore commercial fishermen have been speaking out about this problem now for many years but you guys just will not listen.

Take cod, if left for just four years we would see a dramatic increase in numbers, its not just those few boats left targeting cod, its the fact that codling get caught as buy catch by sole trawles and many small codling get nailed by you anglers too.

The point of the issue is that its these big factory boats that the public and those members of the public that go angling should be targeting. Inshore commercial fishermen have been speaking out about this problem now for many years but you guys just will not listen.

Take cod, if left for just four years we would see a dramatic increase in numbers, its not just those few boats left targeting cod, its the fact that codling get caught as buy catch by sole trawles and many small codling get nailed by you anglers too.

No it's bradshaw and the like who we entrust and pay to look after our fisheries not the public. Again you are in a position to send your concerns off to defra if you consider that there is something wrong with the factory ships. Please tell us your concerns as we certainly do not get commercial speaking out against commercial to a great extent. I assure you we will listen.

Take cod, again the recommendation from bradshaw is for a small decrease in the take as apposed to nil catch that was even with the advise from his scientists. I too catch many small codling the first thing is to let them go, but the majority of these are over the mls, they still go back. If there is a large by-catch when fishing for sole, then it must be the responsability of the fisherman to adjust his net or does he say that if he is fishing within the law it is all right? Again my previous post i state that there is a huge ammount of inshore trawlers targeting the migration of cod down the channel at present, are they the breeding stock i ask? any comment on that?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The assumptions in this thread seem to be inaccurate. Beam trawling and catching loads of cod just don’t go together. I have reasonably extensive experience of beam trawling, having successfully skippered one for a couple of years - albeit a small one. Beam trawling is one of the better methods of digging flat fish out of the sand, but the least successful methods of catching round fish. The number of legal and under-sized cod you would catch in a week’s beam trawling is negligible. In fact, in quite a lot of cases you would do better with a rod.

Beam trawlers may be doing damage to many things, but I feel sure that cod stocks is not one of them.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

The assumptions in this thread seem to be inaccurate. Beam trawling and catching loads of cod just don’t go together. I have reasonably extensive experience of beam trawling, having successfully skippered one for a couple of years - albeit a small one. Beam trawling is one of the better methods of digging flat fish out of the sand, but the least successful methods of catching round fish. The number of legal and under-sized cod you would catch in a week’s beam trawling is negligible. In fact, in quite a lot of cases you would do better with a rod.

Beam trawlers may be doing damage to many things, but I feel sure that cod stocks is not one of them.

JB

Many thanks for the information. Its a pity the commercialfisherman guy can't or won't reply to the posts.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi, welcome to the house of fire. If you consider that the beamers are the one's who are decimating the fish stocks, in your own interests you must speak out surly. What we see with our own eyes is what we comment on. At present the inshore waters at the top end of the channel are inundated with trawlers some with unrecognisable registrations, they are targeting the large cod moving down the channel. Good luck to them but the same every year, the rsa will be very lucky to see one or two of them. Not for the want of trying i last had a rough ground cod two years ago. They are present again but it will be pure luck if one is caught. In a few weeks the cod will have gone and with them the unrecognisable registered trawlers. This is what we see.

Hello barry

To add to Johns post, I do not know of any major cod fishery in the channel, what proof have you that these boats are targeting cod ? I doubt any where in the channel is inundated with any fishing boats at the moment, have you noticed the weather lately? other than a few days that were interrupted by the Christmas break it has not dropped below force 8 since November often reaching storm force, being South or south west winds (on shore, the equivalent to North or North west wind at Whitby) I doubt cod or any fish has had any problems migrating down the channel.

It is not possible to operate a fishing vessel with unrecognisable registration, or do you mean you do not recognize the port letters?

So in realty, like most anglers, you see nothing only perceive, then add 2 + 2 and make 5,or more like 105.

I fish to live and live to fish.

have you noticed the weather lately? other than a few days that were interrupted by the Christmas break it has not dropped below force 8 since November often reaching storm force, being South or south west winds (on shore, the equivalent to North or North west wind at Whitby)

Nice to see you posting Wurzel, I've been worrying about you!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello barry

To add to Johns post, I do not know of any major cod fishery in the channel, what proof have you that these boats are targeting cod ? I doubt any where in the channel is inundated with any fishing boats at the moment, have you noticed the weather lately? other than a few days that were interrupted by the Christmas break it has not dropped below force 8 since November often reaching storm force, being South or south west winds (on shore, the equivalent to North or North west wind at Whitby) I doubt cod or any fish has had any problems migrating down the channel.

It is not possible to operate a fishing vessel with unrecognisable registration, or do you mean you do not recognize the port letters?

So in realty, like most anglers, you see nothing only perceive, then add 2 + 2 and make 5,or more like 105.

Hi wurzel welcome back

Twice before christmas i was out both occasions i was looking at inshore trawlers with registrations that i do not recognise or see often they do not look like uk registrations. This was along side the inshore trawlers that i do recognise and they was gutting rather large cod and good luck to them. I did not say that it was a major cod fishery i said that at present they are targeting the cod as at present they are here, i do not know how long it will last but the cod are either taken or they move on. I do Know what i see wurzel and i can also add up. I have posted what is fact thank you.