Boaters v Anglers

Janet

Good evening gentlemen (and us few ladies!)

I'm a member of a boating forum which is currently debating the best way to cope with anglers whilst we're out cruising on the the canals. I'm therefore posting a topic which has been put on another site by one of our members. Would you all care to add your comments? I thought our members might be able to offer some interesting opionions.

Well hi folks, and allow me to introduce myself.

I am not an angler, that is to say I fished when I was a lad, may still dangle a hook and drown a few maggots from time to time, but I am by no means a serious angler and have never belonged to a club or fished a competition. Now I've got kids of my own, we may occasionally do a spot of fishing for half an hour when moored up at night. Yes, that's right, moored up, meaning that I am one of that hateful species, the bane of your lives, the narrowboater.

So why have I joined? Well it seems that ‘us lot’ and ‘you lot’ don't always see eye to eye, and we thought it might be interesting to look at things from your point of view.

The problem seems to be that many canal anglers seem to resent us wanting to use our waterways and intruding upon your sport or pastime. Many can seem sullen, a minority can be abusive, and you are frequently in the most inappropriate places. There is hardly any commercial traffic on the canals nowadays, their time as a transport network is consigned to history and they have become a leisure facility, but boaters, anglers, cyclists and walkers should all be able to peacefully co-exist.

Personally, if I see someone fishing I try to cut my engine revs to a tickover and stay in the centre of the channel, but there are times when that's not possible if there's 2-way traffic or you're hiding in the bushes, and let's face it, 12 tonnes of steel doesn't stop that quickly.

So is that ‘slower and down the middle’ approach correct, or how would you prefer us to pass you? Come on, have your say, we can take it, what gets up your collective noses?

Ade.

Ok lads. Let's hear what you have to say!

Janet

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Janet. This is a tricky one, and I can only speak for myself. I would like the boater to slow down as he said, and then I could point, or he could see where I am fishing. Sometimes it's the far shelf, sometimes the boat channel, or even the near shelf, it depends on the water. It's like when approaching a boat tacking under sail, when you are in a cruiser, if you slow down then they can tell you which side to pass. I suppose it's down to mutual respect and communication. I have had some right *****s come through my swim without even slowing down. I'm afraid there are people on both sides who think that they have priority, and sod everyone else!

If it's a line of anglers, like in a match, then, someones going to get upset, what ever line the boater decides, or is forced to take.

I don't think that there is a wholly satisfactory compromise, except maybe where boats can only travel at certain times, and anyone fishing within those times knows what to expect, and has no cause to complain.

Not much help I'm afraid.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

its not our water ways or theres in a way, canals were setup for commercial use so i dont think anyone has a right of way but just good manners, when im fishing my local canal and i see a boat coming ill gladly pull line out of the way to let them past i mean neather one of us wants to get in a situation and a kind hand gesture to say hello is usualy enough for both sides to take some care and consideration of each other.

i just hope that the non considerate people on both sides of our outdoors activities doesnt come between us, were all out to enjoy the water

Regards

Andrew

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Good manners is the most important thing, as long as there is a polite hello, I don't think there is going to be any problem. I always take my line out and give them a "Good Afternoon" or whatever. But there are some that will not even acknowledge me which kinda pisses me off.

With regards to the activity the boat is causing, I sometimes prefer a boat to come through. To stir things up about, kinda gives me an oppertunity to start afresh again.

Toby

"Pineapples are Evil"

"No really!, they are!!"

I'm not fussed by boats, if it looks like I am at risk of getting my tackle snagged I'll just wind in for a bit until the boat has passed. I'm an ex merchant seaman, si I would guess (I don't know, just a guess) that boats take precedence on canals and rivers anyway. If I am wrong I am sure one of my fellow anglers will soon let me know.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A bit of common sense on both sides is usually all it takes.

I grew up fishing The Thames, and boats were an everyday occurance...Yes, I have had the odd run-in with selfish boaters (and more selfish canoers!!!)

But generally, a quick wave or a "Good Morning" resolves most meetings amicably.

(lets not forget that Fish aint bothered by boats)

Enjoy your boating Janet, and if you ever go past where I am fishing...a cheery wave, and a "Hello" is awaiting you!

I do both on the Broads, and as an angler I try to appreciate the points of view of the other side, so to speak, and vice versa. Unlike the canals we have the added charms of sailing boats and tides, 'tis real boating down 'ere!

There needs to be give and take, and understanding. For example we sail an old Broads yacht, and like anglers, we need to use the tides to best advantage. We were slipping along the River Waveney, close to the windward bank, dodging the tide, when, all of a sudden there was a great deal of abuse from between the reeds, "boats have got the whole effing river to use etc etc etc, why don't we effing stay in the middle of the effing river, effing yachtsmen." Well, I'm not the smallest of blokes, (unless you are talking Budgie or Newt then I'm a tiddler), we weren't going fast so my daughter took the helm and I jumped ashore. The angler backed off but when I pointed out that I too was an angler, we got to talking. He now understands that boats have a right, and a need to use the whole river on occasions, that like him we are influenced by the tides, and had I seen him I would have pulled out into the tide, that I wouldn't intentionally run over his tackle, that he should have been tending his tackle, and watching his effing language.

That angler now knows why sailing boats do what they do, that they have to tack, that they have to avoid the tides etc. Most of the problems come out of ignorance. I don't think any Broads boater would intentionally target an angler, but many of them don't know why anglers do what they do.

As an angler, and a sail boat sailor, the two things that gets up my nose are gin palaces and bling boats that go past me creating a huge wash, and churning out more acrid exhaust fumes than the M25 at rush hour.

We can live together on the water, we just need to understand each other better.

Edited by Peter Waller

I've fished the canal a since a kid and yes have had the odd argument with a boater. That said i'm acvtually very mild mannered and like anglers the majority of boaters try to be considerate there are exceptions to this rule as in angling. I would much prefer (as you already do) the boaters to cut there revs and go down the center of the cut. The big problem as you probably realise comes in the height of the summer season, but in fairness i know these are not true boaters and like everything in life they have a right to be there. What i dont agree with is reopening at a lot of expense some of the old disused cuts. leave them in there wild natural states (greedy side of me here ) and let us anglers fish them as the havens some of them are.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I do both on the Broads, and as an angler I try to appreciate the points of view of the other side, so to speak, and vice versa. Unlike the canals we have the added charms of sailing boats and tides, 'tis real boating down 'ere!

There needs to be give and take, and understanding. For example we sail an old Broads yacht, and like anglers, we need to use the tides to best advantage. We were slipping along the River Waveney, close to the windward bank, dodging the tide, when, all of a sudden there was a great deal of abuse from between the reeds, "boats have got the whole effing river to use etc etc etc, why don't we effing stay in the middle of the effing river, effing yachtsmen." Well, I'm not the smallest of blokes, (unless you are talking Budgie or Newt then I'm a tiddler), we weren't going fast so my daughter took the helm and I jumped ashore. The angler backed off but when I pointed out that I too was an angler, we got to talking. He now understands that boats have a right, and a need to use the whole river on occasions, that like him we are influenced by the tides, and had I seen him I would have pulled out into the tide, that I wouldn't intentionally run over his tackle, that he should have been tending his tackle, and watching his effing language.

That angler now knows why sailing boats do what they do, that they have to tack, that they have to avoid the tides etc. Most of the problems come out of ignorance. I don't think any Broads boater would intentionally target an angler, but many of them don't know why anglers do what they do.

We can live together on the water, we just need to understand each other better.

Oh... So it was YOU eh? :rolleyes::D

I don't have a problem with boaters at all. The only downside is their speed sometimes, and this is usually people on holiday, who either just don't know the rules or are just idiots. A pouchfull of maggots through the window is nice way of saying thank you when they tare through your swim and up the river.

The waterways are there for us all to enjoy and a little manners and respect and we can all use them peacefully.

Paul