Boaters v Anglers

Janet

i have seen this from 3 positions, a long time ago i used to help out on a ft narrow boat in Nottingham taking kids out for trips/weekends etc (it even had a lift fitted so wheelchair users could us it)

so i know how hard it is to get ft of steel round a sharp bend.

i have also been out on one of the small trip boats out of wroxam, with the wife and kids.

we hired the boat in the afternoon, we were given no verbal instructions from the two lads at the office, there was a notice in the boat which had a map on it showing how far you could go in a set time and a few rules - speed, giving way to sail craft etc, no were near enough info in my view.

and now i am a angler (not a very good one but I'm learning) most of the boats around Lincoln are privately owned narrow boats and are not a problem to me, the only two that i can remember being a pain in the **** were both younger people in what i guess was daddies boat, the first was going far to fast, it did not create wash it was more like a large wave crashing on the beech.

the other was a young couple and i think he was thinking more about his female friend than were he was going.

could the boating group write up a list of the rules / guidelines that they should follow, and explain other things that boaters do, then us anglers would have a better knowledge of what you are doing.

Jeff

gatso.gif

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What i dont agree with is reopening at a lot of expense some of the old disused cuts. leave them in there wild natural states (greedy side of me here ) and let us anglers fish them as the havens some of them are.

I would have to disagree with you there. Go and look at what has been done on the Forth and Clyde Canal. It has been totally cleaned out and I think it is navigable by boats for its' full length now. This has done wonders for both the boaters and for anglers (how many of your old disused cuts have trout in them?). The only downside is that it now costs £15 quid a year to fish on the canal. When I was a laddie the canal was disused and pretty grotty and one could fish for free.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Jetskiers are just prats! It doesn't matter how much water they have, if you're the only person they have to perform to you can guarantee they will come and do it right in front of you. They remind me of spoilt little attention seeking children, "Mummy watch me mummy, watch me, look mummy......"

Shoot the [Edited] lot of 'em!

Edited by John S

What an enlightening topic, many thanks Janet for posting it.

I have had very few problems with boaters. If they stick in the channel and lets face it we should both know where that is on any given stretch, and reduce speed to tickover, that's great, an acknowledgement is a pleasant bonus too.

I always reel in on their approach, though I didn't appreciate the steerage thingy, so I've learned something and will allow more time in future, and indicate my location in advance.

The unavoidable bugbear for boaters appears to be a match, for me its a flotilla all doing 2mph with 100yds between them, I've had it happen and it signals time to go home.

One boater had the courtesy to tell me roughly how many boats were in the line to come through, which was very decent. Communiation is a wonderful thing.

I was once told that if the wash from your boat cruising in the middle, hits the bank and rebounds you are probably going too fast, as a general rule of thumb, don't know how true that is though.

As always there are a small minority of boaters who draw level with you before churning the water to a froth as if trying to make a point. Abuse is not acceptable from either side.

I do wonder what would happen if a boat was approaching me whilst I was engaged in a fight with a monster pike determined to hug the far bank snags?

I doubt the boater would know how to cope with 50lb powerpro braid clearing his top deck of plants etc...

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I do wonder what would happen if a boat was approaching me whilst I was engaged in a fight with a monster pike determined to hug the far bank snags?

I doubt the boater would know how to cope with 50lb powerpro braid clearing his top deck of plants etc...

Been there done that but with carp not pike its not a pleasant experrience you attempt to jesticulate to them to stop while there still far enough away . Normally they think your giving them abuse and up the power on when there close they realise your playing a fish throw it hard into reverse and back up. Now mr carp is well and truly spooked tears of down the canal leaving you holding on for dear life. Normal result is a pulled hook or snapped line. (btw i'm normally fishing for the bream the carp are bonuses when i get them )

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I was once told that if the wash from your boat cruising in the middle, hits the bank and rebounds you are probably going too fast, as a general rule of thumb, don't know how true that is though.
Indeed, if your boat creates a breaking wash, no matter what spped you are doing, then you should slow down to avoid erosion of the banks.

Communiation is a wonderful thing

Yes, it certainly is! Our members are a lot more enlightened now, and if this thread goes only a little way to help promote understanding between different canal and river users, then that's great.

Janet

As I have said earlier, it is the "amateurs" that are responsible for about 95% of incidents.

I took the opportunity to have a word with the skipper of a narrowboat that is STILL being used commercially.

He told me that the "pro's" do what they can to not upset the anglers, as he said "we are both legitimate users of the rivers/canals and we HAVE to get on!"

We anglers are not the only ones who complain about the "holiday boaters", he was telling me that some of the "don't even know what side to pass another vessel!" and a lot of pro's are "sick and tired of pulling them off sandbanks or wherever they become jammed!"

He said they do realise that the anglers have "issues", but could they please not shout at every boat that goes by as some of them "are on your side".

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription