Metal Detectors

Elton

yay ,mind you i have found more gold in the last 3 years not using one than i have since the 70's using one :D

theres some great metal detector footage on youtube to get excited about but that will soon be knocked out of you in real life on a wet night after work :D

around here because of its location its 303 cases by the million and the foil that kept them dry in the boxes ,i shocked my old boss once by predicting what each signal was while he watched me engrossed in his garden ,after a while you can even "see" shotgun cart ends before you dig them up :D

nothing like the glint of hammered though :thumbs:

your areas looks good for saxon ,its more roman here the whole area was described as a "poor area" as its on sand so little agriculture bar along the river flood plains

I'll have to have a look at some footage. Just been looking at some retailers, and there are a lot more models available than I imagined, ranging from virtually nothing to four figures. It's going to take a bit of research, this one.

I've had a word with a farmer (well, his wife) and it's all looking good so far :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to have a look at some footage. Just been looking at some retailers, and there are a lot more models available than I imagined, ranging from virtually nothing to four figures. It's going to take a bit of research, this one.

I've had a word with a farmer (well, his wife) and it's all looking good so far :)

tell him if he catches you you were talking about metal detecting ;)

as you say theres many out there ,most have about the same range under ground (physics and all that) but bells and whistles aplenty depending on price .

i like my trusty CScope 3300 its 25 years old but i know how it sounds (not everything is beep beep) and i could out perform cscopes top of the range machine easily ,how do i know well i treated myself to one ,noticed my finds rate went down (computers are silly) and i sold it after 3 months of trying.

i shant recomend any particular make or machine i wouldn't like to be blamed if it doesn't perform to your expectations ,the ONLY thing i would recommend is think lightness or better one that can have an arm saver fitted ,that machine will become very heavy after a few hours i can tell you.

dont think price = finds it doesnt ,experience luck and the lay of the land does ,you can use a £1,000 machine on a bit of land and if its been rarely used historically youl find little more than a cheap one ;)

the option of smaller coils is also something to think about ,standard coils find most stuff in standard fields but in heavily coked or mineralise fields the detector will not work at its best and a small coil can help in between a mass of signals (or in reality on a standard coil many signals at once) but its only good for that

some of the top end users have even programs they recommend that are supposed to get more out of their machines but i wouldnt really get swayed by the chatter if you spend over a grand only a fool will admit their machines no better than one half its price :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

How about a A N metal detecting meet. I think my one is older than Chester's, and i haven't used it for at least twenty years.

I used it at folkestone a few times, wait for the geezers to Finnish coming out of the pub they would jump down on the tiny bit of beach within the harbour and the coins would rattle out of their pockets, into the sand, never to be seen again, 'cept when i got me machine swinging, great fun and a brilliant way to pay for a few pints. B)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

i still have one of my detecting licenses somewhere :D got my old mans pulse induction machine somewhere but i'v never found a field clean enough to use it it takes many size "D" batteries and weighs a ton

you have your own club down there ,theres a couple up here but i no longer do clubs

my first machine was a BFO machine i built myself ,pretty crap unless you were looking for lost drain covers :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i still have one of my detecting licenses somewhere :D got my old mans pulse induction machine somewhere but i'v never found a field clean enough to use it it takes many size "D" batteries and weighs a ton

you have your own club down there ,theres a couple up here but i no longer do clubs

my first machine was a BFO machine i built myself ,pretty crap unless you were looking for lost drain covers :D

The one i got is a c scope 1220b, when i was using it a lot, i could tell exactly what i was going to dig up, coinage, once you got used to the sounds. It was brilliant for discriminating silver foil and ring pulls , iron etc. Use it a lot on local sites where the navy and army used to inhabit and had many brass tunic buttons etc. Loads of old coinage, never found anything worth loads, but was great fun and would recommend it. Bet if i stuffed batteries in it, it would still work. Didn't do clubs.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

yes that was my third or fourth machine not a bad one ,i did have an arado 120b but i never mastered it i like meters then it was considered the bees knees

I personally know NOT a lot about the wee beasties! But like you two (dave and barry) my mate is a bit of an expert on them! And I do know he was talking about a TOP of the range one the other day (€1500?) and also said it was a load of crud compared to his older and much more versatile machine!

I'll see if I can't persuade him to login and say a few words? I think he is of the same ilk as you dave! Could make one himself as he has the knowlege!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I personally know NOT a lot about the wee beasties! But like you two (dave and barry) my mate is a bit of an expert on them! And I do know he was talking about a TOP of the range one the other day (€1500?) and also said it was a load of crud compared to his older and much more versatile machine!

I'll see if I can't persuade him to login and say a few words? I think he is of the same ilk as you dave! Could make one himself as he has the knowlege!

NOOOO lets not jump to conclusions i made one in 1974 when they were crude BFO machines ,i would leave the modern designs up to people with more than 3 braincells (found another one in the corner behind my eye)

is it because we cant afford the top of the range machines :D in my experience it was based on the top of the range for one maker not all of them

Edited by chesters1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I did a bit of negotiating with the misses, some financial juggling and bit the bullet....

http://www.csmetaldetectors.com/product.aspx?pid=24

Despatched today. Might be here before crimbo, might not.

Won't be able to use it for a while, but looking forward to having a play in the garden asap :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have been detecting for years with a C scope it is a good model to use. I am lucky to use beaches where my weights and traces are re used from finds. I often find old coins, cutlery and army stuff I don't do fields as there is so much to find on the beaches.

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/