Great Landscapes.

Hellbelly

Great site indeed HB, problem for me though is there are a lot of shots of my area, so I've taken photo's of those very same views.

This means that whilst I'm marvelling at some wonderful scenes, It brings home just how poor my attempts are in comparison :(

Ah well...just have to keep trying :D

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I'm heading off to that very area end of March on another forums get together, meeting in Whitby at the whalenones or the Abbey I believe. I think the webmaster from the above site will also be there.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Good site and some cracking shots but some of them seem that enhanced they do not seem real anymore. Or am I just "old fashioned"???

Do not get me wrong,I fully intend to learn as much as I can on the fiddling side of this. Most of my photos need "fiddling with" - yes Steve especially levelling :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

As I am new to this game I take it there must be different schools of thought on digital enhancement. Is there a purist school that thinks its inappropriate???

I am not trying to rock the boat/start WW3,would just like some honest feedback. It is a genuine question and not a pi$$ take I can assure you. :headhurt:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

When it comes to editing, less is defnattely more. But it does depend on what look you want, I want realism in my photos and I want them to reflect what I saw through the viewfinder. The photo is my memory of that time.

On the other hand if I was making a corporate annual report or some such thing and using the photo for that purpose then it would be edited to suit that application, ie colour toning.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I don't think there is a right or a wrong, only a personal opinion. The way I view it is along the lines of a painter, some paint in a style of realism & accuracy of detail where we can marvel at the skill of the reproduction. Another may paint from a point of view of interpretation of the scene in front of them, & we can marvel at those also for producing a specific feeling from his particular skill.

Both styles, & all in between, are as valid as each other. The use of digital enhancing is a skill all of its own, but it still needs the photographers personal view to make it happen. I doubt very much we would see overall agreement on which is more skilful or preferable as the whole game is very subjective. The subjectiveness has just been illustrated to me when I showed my family the Northscape site, some felt the shots were overdone & others loved the atmospheric feel. Long may this be the case as well, I love seeing both styles of photo's & appreciate the talent of skilful photoshoppers.

In the end, for me it boils down to this, a good photo is a good photo.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

well I wish I could produce images like that, however it's achieved.

they really are quite beautiful. I have a 350D, a half hearted photshop package (elements), could I prodice these kinds of images on a regular basis, and if so, where do I start.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

These are long exposures and/or HDR photographs..I suspect a mix of the two. Have a look in Elements under File/Automate/Merge to HDR. I'm dont know if Elements will do this.

Focal Planet