matchfishing

Tel

why oh why do a lot of competitions insist on total weight matches???? surely in this day of conservation, looking after the image of our sport etc :rolleyes:

Loads of dead just sizable fish is a terrible waste???? surely measure matches are the way to go???

Im sure many an angler wanting to take part in a match is put off by this waste and killing of tiny fish????

certainly puts me off many matches, and the last match i fished i put a sizeable whiting back, because i had no need for it i didnt want to kill it, no more weight only matches for me :(

Just cant see the point in all that killing then chucking them back???

Match angling needs a big sort out, in my opinion!!!!! :mad:

KIR ;0)

measure matches can be as bad.

because they measure the sizes get smaller in an effort to get a result.

just ends up with dead small fish.

no easy way to sort it apart from catch, immediate weigh and return....

When we moved up here, we thought that we were coming to the 'back of beyond', how wrong we were! :D Any matches up here, from the shore at least, are all catch and release where the fish are measured and returned :D

so youre saying every fish you catch is in size a nd goes back alive?

im not saying we match anglers are perfect but things are getting better all the time with more and more cmr matches.

our club also has a flounder limit on rover matches to stop unnecessary slaughter.also increasing size limits in some matches where we know therell be a lot around the size limit.

some of the worst slaughters ive seen have been by pleasure anglers so we can all clean our act up a bit.

no they are not all size, but everything caught is measured straight away and returned alive. The only fish that are kept and killed, are over size and kept for the pot, and yes they are checked :D

I am not a match angler and as such maybe I should comment. However I feel that certain fish eg. wrasse should be ineligibe for matches. This is on the basis that they are rarely eaten(or usable as bait) unlike some other accidental casualties.

I would like to see minimum sizes increased however I am told that in certain areas there would be no weigh in if that happened !!

Do rover matches mean catch and release isnt possible ?? if this is the case are the worth promoting.

There is no point in complaining about over fishing, seals, cormorants etc if we knowingly encouage waste in the name of competition.

It is often the guy who intentionally targets small fish who wins matches - what is that all about :confused:

Rant over happy New Year all

Peter

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Not fished any before are NFSA matches measure and release,points or weigh matches????

As this organisation should be setting the standards :)

KIR ;0)