babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snatcher,

Also in danger of "sounding like an idiot" but am intriged as to how you fish them with a control float.

I've done a bit of fluff chucking with similar lures (obviously inferior :D ) but the ability to put it 80 yards, way further than I can fly cast would open up a whole new world for me.

Look out Bass

Jeff

Big Jeff, not working again

I've tried bubble floats and some French "floating hard ball thing" ragou- both with limited success.

I think that control floats are used in carp fishing - I'm interested to know if thats right as I'm always trying new things.

Jeff

Big Jeff, not working again

The contoller floats I use are obviously lead weighed at the bottom,streamlined and have a clear perspex top. I fish with as long a trace as possible. Have used ordinary clear bubble floats but find that when worked through the water they disturb the surface water too much for my liking. Find that the steamlined controller float hardly makes any disturbance (will post up a photo of one of mine - if I can find them!)

You can also pinch on a swan shot to make it swim a bit deeper. In deep water I will use a drilled bullet above a bead above a swivel then a trace as long as possible to the sandeel.

Ian Burrett from "onyermarks" gave them a go last summer up the Mull of Galloway.They were using traditional fly gear from one of his boats and had pollack to 7lb 12oz and were broken off a few times.So they do work.

I think that the larger than life eye is a plus point,especially with the moving pupil. Fish just love them. Let me know how you get on or better still post up a piccy.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Oh they work allright.I had three boats inshore Pollacking one day last year.

I had fly boys aboard and we broke three world fly records in an afternoon. Counts for nothing as all fish were returned)

At certain stages of the tide the flies were outfishing the other boats using jellies, ragworm, and sandeel etc

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Europeans use casting floats to fish flies with spinning tackle - I've put this up on several threads. You can buy weighted floats with floating, neutral and sinking density - try Askari or some other European mail order company. The trick is to cast as normal but check the line just as the float is about to hit the water, that makes the fly flick out beyond the float so its behind it as you reel in. Danes use the method a lot for sea trout from the shore.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk