My idea/plan?

david t

Just as an example, I never went to school in a car, not even once. I doubt I'm alone in that respect amongst my contemporaries but how many still at school now can say that?

When I was at school it would have been an EMBARRASSMENT to be driven to school by Mummy or Daddy. The odd time when I was given a lift to school I would ask to be dropped off about a quarter of a mile away and then I would walk the last wee bit and hope that nobody saw me get out of the car!

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was at school it would have been an EMBARRASSMENT to be driven to school by Mummy or Daddy. The odd time when I was given a lift to school I would ask to be dropped off about a quarter of a mile away and then I would walk the last wee bit and hope that nobody saw me get out of the car!

It was easier for me; we didn't have a car. :)

People are taking this out of context slightly. Im not suggesting that you attempt to travel 60 miles a day to work, or carry a ton of tools on the back of a bike. Im more thinking of those that live with in 5 or 10 miles of work, that can substitute thecar journey with a bike, because in all honestly, anybody can ride 5 or 10 miles on a bike, unless the are ill or elderely.

im also not advocating that it would suddenly solve all climate change issues, firstly because we are up **** creek without a paddle there, but doing something is better than doing nothing.

And the arguement that states that; "as the UK contributes so little to CO2 emissions we dont have to do anything, because our efforts would not be felt" is also wrong IMO, because then all the small countries could say it, new zealand, belgium, swizterland etc, but all together they make up a big chunk, and that cumulative reduction would be felt most probably. Yes, the easiest thing is to hide being the fact that we are a small country, with a small output, but is that really the right thing for a world leading country to be doing?

Im not trying to come across as some radical greenpeace protester, with a head of bubbly ideas, but I would rather be pro-active, rather than stubborn and old fashioned.

good point though, barry, licencing bikes would probably follow on from this, especially with the recent anti-cycling bursts from the media, due to the action of the few, but thats another story for another day.

cheers all. some good points raised

People are taking this out of context slightly. Im not suggesting that you attempt to travel 60 miles a day to work, or carry a ton of tools on the back of a bike. Im more thinking of those that live with in 5 or 10 miles of work, that can substitute thecar journey with a bike, because in all honestly, anybody can ride 5 or 10 miles on a bike, unless the are ill or elderely.

im also not advocating that it would suddenly solve all climate change issues, firstly because we are up **** creek without a paddle there, but doing something is better than doing nothing.

And the arguement that states that; "as the UK contributes so little to CO2 emissions we dont have to do anything, because our efforts would not be felt" is also wrong IMO, because then all the small countries could say it, new zealand, belgium, swizterland etc, but all together they make up a big chunk, and that cumulative reduction would be felt most probably. Yes, the easiest thing is to hide being the fact that we are a small country, with a small output, but is that really the right thing for a world leading country to be doing?

Im not trying to come across as some radical greenpeace protester, with a head of bubbly ideas, but I would rather be pro-active, rather than stubborn and old fashioned.

good point though, barry, licencing bikes would probably follow on from this, especially with the recent anti-cycling bursts from the media, due to the action of the few, but thats another story for another day.

cheers all. some good points raised

Well done to you as well David, you make some good points. :clap2:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I'm sick to the back teeth with plans to curb car use and force people to use other means.

I can't get the 30 miles to work at 6 in the morning on any form of public transport.

I couldn't get a vaguely direct route at any time of the day.

I aint gonna cycle 60 miles a day. at any time or in any weather.

There's no-one lives near me I can share with.

Even if I could share I don't particularly want to be burdened with someone else's conversation, musical taste, aftershave and timetable. I want to do my own thing in my own way in my own time and I am not unique.

So to all the politicians 'green' campaigners and woolly thinkers out there who are keen to grab my taxes and charge me even more for using the roads, and come up with schemes like this expecting me to pay for it, forget it !

Sure congestion bugs me, I just don't buy the notion that bus lanes, cycleways, toll charges, and higher fuel and duty taxes will solve the problems.

Simple solution .....Work from home...sorted :thumbs:

I'd certainly cycle the 5 miles to work along a disused railway track, but someone will have to build it first! What I cant stand it the local council painting a white line on the road and calling it a cycle track!!! Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Come on the truth!! It was a Robin Reliant wasn't it??

http://earthsave.org/globalwarming.htm

There are many different views out there - everyone is talking theories, and truthfully few can prove much if anything. What is a fact is if you remove every car, plane and power-station there will still be 96 or 97% of the carbon emissions there are today - as pretty much most of them are generated from living organisms.

If you really want some interesting reading there is quite a few good articles about the myths behind carbon offsetting - with quite a number of scientists claiming that the planting of a tree is actually a net contributor to carbon emissions. From what I understand our earth is pretty much dependent on Algae not trees or plants to recycle carbon dioxide - but they didn't actually tell us that at school (they told us trees - but a lot of reading suggests that is completely untrue).

I am all for more cycling - but at the same time I think they need to introduce better measures to protect cyclists. Mandatory insurance should be a bare minimum (if necessary worked out like a state tax), but also mandatory lights (to be fixed to all bikes regardless of day/night), and compulsory cycling proficiency in schools.

Ian W

Come on the truth!! It was a Robin Reliant wasn't it??

No it was a mini, but it would not have mattered if it was a Bently. You either walked or got the bus. I used to get the bus in in the morning and walk all the way along the tow path home at night.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote