My idea/plan?

david t

Hello,

in line with the news on global warming, I have had an idea for ages, about cutting the number of cars on our roads, its related to cycling.

Right, alot of people, me included, dont like cycling in traffic, and no matter how many stats you give to people about the roads being safer than ever for cyclists, they still dont like cycling in traffic, or on fast roads (well at least I dont!). I would much prefer to cycle away from cars, now if you could give people the option to cycle to work and back, away from traffic, surely the number of people using bikes to get to and from work would rise. It would, cost alot of money, but if a plan was introduced to built (or modify existing disused railways, or similar routes etc) a extensive new cycle network, one that does not just go around nice scenic areas, but goes from london, to all the surrounding boroughs, and gives routes to manchester, birmingham etc. The paths could be away from traffic, to avoid accidents, and free from pedestrians to avoid arguments etc!

I know that in some areas, like parts of london etc, that there just would not be the space to put these in physically, without demolition work, and I also know that it would cost alot of money, and take alot of time. But im sure it would have an effect, and that it would need little up keep, in the way that most roads do, due to the fact that bike and riders generally weigh less than 1/4 of the weight of a car. Ok, it isnt simple, but then getting people out of there cars is never going to be simple. I also realise that alot of people are not going to want to ride a bike, because they are plain lazy, or they dont want to get cold.

What would people think if the government was to announce it was spending money on a project such as this? (and i dont intend this to start up as a government/tony blair etc row!!)

dont worry im not running for government!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an organisation trying to do just that:

http://www.sustrans.org/

The charity was founded in 1977, by a group of people in Bristol keen to work towards a future in which people travel in ways that benefit their health and our environment. The first route was the Bristol & Bath Railway Path, a 17-mile traffic-free trail along a disused railway. Completed in 1984, this route immediately became hugely popular with locals and visitors alike, and now carries nearly two million trips a year.

In September 2005 Sustrans wished the National Cycle Network a happy 10th birthday, commemorating the day in 1995 when a cheque for £43.5 million was deposited into the Sustrans bank account - a Millennium Commission Lottery Grant to develop the National Cycle Network. Sustrans' ambitious plans to stitch together existing cycle routes and develop new ones into a UK-wide network had an original target of 2,500 miles to be built by 2000. But with characteristic Sustrans enthusiasm twice the amount were built and a new 10,000-mile milestone was reached in 2005.

The National Cycle Network now passes within one mile of half the population and as it continues to grow so does its popularity - an amazing 232 million trips were made on the Network in 2005 alone. The routes are free to use and open to all, making them a great way for you and your family to stay fit and healthy while enjoying a breath of fresh air.

The project has always been co-ordinated by Sustrans. We've worked with many partners such as local authorities who have been with us the whole way to deliver the routes you use today.

Sustrans undertakes the planning, management and building of many of the paths which involve other work and considerations such as building bridges and ensuring wildlife is not disturbed.

Download a copy of our National Cycle Network map illustrating routes throughout the UK - published Nov 05 (PDF).

(Loads more information on the website about various projects etc)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I'm sick to the back teeth with plans to curb car use and force people to use other means.

I can't get the 30 miles to work at 6 in the morning on any form of public transport.

I couldn't get a vaguely direct route at any time of the day.

I aint gonna cycle 60 miles a day. at any time or in any weather.

There's no-one lives near me I can share with.

Even if I could share I don't particularly want to be burdened with someone else's conversation, musical taste, aftershave and timetable. I want to do my own thing in my own way in my own time and I am not unique.

So to all the politicians 'green' campaigners and woolly thinkers out there who are keen to grab my taxes and charge me even more for using the roads, and come up with schemes like this expecting me to pay for it, forget it !

Sure congestion bugs me, I just don't buy the notion that bus lanes, cycleways, toll charges, and higher fuel and duty taxes will solve the problems.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Hello,

Hi David it won't work for me, i use me van for work, anywhere around the M25, london etc carting tools and material and i use me van for fishing, anywhere in england carting rods boxes, weights etc. All the rest of my spare time i'm sleeping.Did you say cold or old as i'm now too old to learn how to ride one of those contraptions. You know what will happen if your idea takes off, it will be licenced. Sorry.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Well I'm giving up roast beef :lol::lol: If all them farting cows are driving my taxes up they certainly won't end up on my dinner plate :rolleyes::lol::lol:

You should be eating more..... to get rid of them Ken. ;)

Another snippet that puts things into perspective.

Facts taken from a column in the Independant 31/03/2006.

It has been estimated that Britain contributes around 2 percent of the world's man-made 'greenhouse gas' emissions. Of which 12 percent are from all transport (aircraft 7 percent, public Transport 2.5 percent and Cars 2.5 percent)

If we cut the number of cars on the UK roads by a half. It wouldn't take long for the saving in emissions, to be taken up by the rest of the world.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I can't get 5cwt of tools on a bike either, not to mention two pairs of stools a step ladder and a couple of hundred boxes of screws and nails. It's only a five minute walk to where I'm currently working but the van still has to go.

There are however plenty of people who could travel by other means rather than use a car.

Just as an example, I never went to school in a car, not even once. I doubt I'm alone in that respect amongst my contemporaries but how many still at school now can say that?

Not sure I want loads of extra cyclists on the disused railway lines, there is one near here which I walk fairly regularly whilst birding and there are enough cyclists zooming up and down as it is, too many damned joggers and horse riders on there as well. Up against the wall with the lot of them. ;)

You should be eating more..... to get rid of them Ken. ;)

Another snippet that puts things into perspective.

If we cut the number of cars on the UK roads by a half. It wouldn't take long for the saving in emissions, to be taken up by the rest of the world.

John

I certainly don't take global warming lightly but I am sure cutting the number of cars and higher fuel taxes are far more to do with peak oil than global warming. I am not GBs greatest fan but I am sure his statment about reducing dependencey on oil is far nearer the truth than TBs shadowy comments on global warming. :rolleyes:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist