a simple question

nick

I cannot see it having an effect on chartering thats' if your referring to the license, let's be honest if your hobby is not worth forking out £20 for then it aint much of a deal.

For the Hard core anglers it wont Ken, I will buy a licence, so will you but what about the person who comes to Whitby, sees a board at the side of the bridge advertising a days fishing. He works out its gonna cost him 30 quid to get a afloat, a fiver for rod hire, another 10 for some pirks or bait - suddenly it starts mounting up. Then if he has to pay £8-10 quid for a 7 day licence and another 18 quid for some insurance - Will he take that Trip or take the kids to the amusements for the day ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Hard core anglers it wont Ken, I will buy a licence, so will you but what about the person who comes to Whitby, sees a board at the side of the bridge advertising a days fishing. He works out its gonna cost him 30 quid to get a afloat, a fiver for rod hire, another 10 for some pirks or bait - suddenly it starts mounting up. Then if he has to pay £8-10 quid for a 7 day licence and another 18 quid for some insurance - Will he take that Trip or take the kids to the amusements for the day ?

The same situation applies for many day-ticket coarse fishing waters.

In areas where the passing tourist trade is important, fishery owners purchase a 'group licence' to cover anyone fishing their lake.

I would imagine that the same kind of facility could be made available for charter boats, pier owners etc.

If the Government is determined to go ahead with a licence for Recreational Sea Anglers, they will be anxious to ensure that it is accepted by the vast majority, and to iron out these kind of issues.

And both overseas, and here with the experience of freshwater licensing, there are plenty of examples of how to deal with the wrinkles.

The important thing will be for anglers and angling organisations, when/if the time comes, is to ensure that they consider all of these issues and put forward and promote suggested solutions.

The Environment Agency has recently looked at all of the barriers to people wanting to take up freshwater fishing and FACT (the peak body for all angling disciplines in the UK) has responded to the consultation with many innovative suggestions for making licence conditions less of a barrier to anyone wanting to take up angling, or just to give it a go.

Most of those could just as easily be applied to a sea angling licence, should that become a reality.

(There is no suggestion that third party liability insurance for sea anglers will be compulsory)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Could well be the same end result though except the clever government won't get the blame.

Charter skipper has to splash out for a license, Charter skipper passes cost of license onto his customers, Customers say we aren't coming your prices are too high.

Difficult to put a figure on it but I would be surprised if it was more that £20 per week, would like to think £10 would be nearer the mark.

But this is one of the things that will have to be hard fought for during the consultation process.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

The same situation applies for many day-ticket coarse fishing waters.

In areas where the passing tourist trade is important, fishery owners purchase a 'group licence' to cover anyone fishing their lake.

I would imagine that the same kind of facility could be made available for charter boats, pier owners etc.

From the Marine Bill White Paper

group licences could be available to cover, for example, charter skippers taking people

on trips who are not individual licence holders

Spooky or What!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

From the Marine Bill White Paper

Spooky or What!

Same point still applies though Leon. The issue would be is that group licence free ?

Will it cost them money ? £1000 per year - £2000 per year ? More ? Less ?

If it isn't free then it starts to come out of the charter skippers profits. Does the skipper risk passing it on to the customers ? Fuel prices have already meant a leap in charter charges I wonder if these boys start having to charge extra to their customers again will their businesses take it ?

Spooky or not - You need definite answers to such questions to put peoples minds at rest.

Another simple question, and very important one in light of current consultations.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...-2027/index.htm

What would be your vision for Recreational Sea Angling in 2027.

Not a list of we don't want...

But a list of we do want...

Imagine you are sitting down with your first grandchild in 20 years time (scary thought) what would you most want for their sea angling experiences?

Try putting that in writing and sending it to DEFRA, but make it positive, and make it relevant that way it might just get listened to and it may help to shape the future for RSA in England (and I hope the rest of the UK)

You've got until 26th April to respond...

And it would be great if you could post thoughts on here too it may just help someone else to formulate their own response.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

It would be easy Nick.

DEFRA to listen to ICES and act upon the evidence and enforce the rules. Stop commercial fishermen from finishing off the sea before its too late. Simple question simple answer. No need for a big list Nick it would all come right if they kept the pirates of the sea in check.

but I'm afraid that that sort of answer will just get binned (I suspect) as it doesn't actually say anything.

For someone who so clearly knows what you don't want Glenn you are very reticent about saying what you do want.

Let's start you off with an example:

In 2027 I want to be able to fish from my local beach with a reasonable expectation of being able to catch a cod of greater than 10lbs in weight. Much as I would have been able to do in the 1960's.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?