How was it for you....?

Chris Plumb

So how was the end of the season for you? I had 3 days off work and also fished last Saturday morning and have enjoyed some cracking sport on a high but fining down Kennet system.

Saturday was a slowish start - the river was still a bit too coloured from the previous weekend's rains and I couldn't get to some favoured swims because of flooding still managed a nice brace of chub in the 2-3lb bracket.

Monday- my mate Paul had Barton Court booked for an IAC day. Sport was a bit scratchy, catch a couple and move on being order of the day (and concentrate on the carriers) but I managed 6 different species over a pound (Chub, Perch, Grayling, Brownie, Roach, Bream). Highlight of the day was finding a nice shoal of (feeding) roach in the last hour - not massive fish - but fish over 8oz - most around 12-14oz with the odd one a bit bigger.

Tuesday - a big Red Letter Day! For the first time this winter conditions for a crack-o-dawn canal perching session were spot on. Mild, overcast and the colour had dropped out the water. I knew it was gonna be my morning when I got a 3lb 6oz fish 1st Cast!. By 0845 when the clouds had cleared and the swim was bathed in bright sunlight (putting an end to the bites) I'd accounted for 13 perch - 11 of which were over 1½lbs (7 over 2) The best 4 went 3.08,3.06,3.05 & 3.01. I also managed a 4lber - actually nearer 5 - shame it was a pike!

Wednesday Paul and I spent all day fishing a Kennet carrier. This particular stream is only fishable in high water - you wouldn't bother with it in low conditions - but its a stream the fish seem to favour when the main river is pushing through. It was teeming with fish!! Paul and I had dozens and dozens of roach and dace. Nothing particularly big though some of the dace were in the 10-12oz bracket (about the same size as the bigger roach). I also had a few chub and Paul a lovely perch of 2½lbs. I feel well and truely sated!

So how did you get on?

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Hi Chris,

I'm a german newcommer in fishing and in this forum. By looking through the topics I found yours and I have to comment to it.

First congratulations to your catches! :fishing:

What places do you usually fish? I'm looking for a nice place to fish in the UK. And a stupid question at the end :bangin: : I always read about the end of the season. What season are you all talking about? Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm still learning. :headhurt:

4ham55k.jpg

So how was the end of the season for you? I had 3 days off work and also fished last Saturday morning and have enjoyed some cracking sport on a high but fining down Kennet system.

Saturday was a slowish start - the river was still a bit too coloured from the previous weekend's rains and I couldn't get to some favoured swims because of flooding still managed a nice brace of chub in the 2-3lb bracket.

Monday- my mate Paul had Barton Court booked for an IAC day. Sport was a bit scratchy, catch a couple and move on being order of the day (and concentrate on the carriers) but I managed 6 different species over a pound (Chub, Perch, Grayling, Brownie, Roach, Bream). Highlight of the day was finding a nice shoal of (feeding) roach in the last hour - not massive fish - but fish over 8oz - most around 12-14oz with the odd one a bit bigger.

Tuesday - a big Red Letter Day! For the first time this winter conditions for a crack-o-dawn canal perching session were spot on. Mild, overcast and the colour had dropped out the water. I knew it was gonna be my morning when I got a 3lb 6oz fish 1st Cast!. By 0845 when the clouds had cleared and the swim was bathed in bright sunlight (putting an end to the bites) I'd accounted for 13 perch - 11 of which were over 1½lbs (7 over 2) The best 4 went 3.08,3.06,3.05 & 3.01. I also managed a 4lber - actually nearer 5 - shame it was a pike!

Wednesday Paul and I spent all day fishing a Kennet carrier. This particular stream is only fishable in high water - you wouldn't bother with it in low conditions - but its a stream the fish seem to favour when the main river is pushing through. It was teeming with fish!! Paul and I had dozens and dozens of roach and dace. Nothing particularly big though some of the dace were in the 10-12oz bracket (about the same size as the bigger roach). I also had a few chub and Paul a lovely perch of 2½lbs. I feel well and truely sated!

So how did you get on?

C.

Blimey, so that's who's been hogging all the luck! Good stuff Chris, especially the perch haul. Nothing for me on the last day, except some good company and the wonderful roar and smell of the weirpool on a calm evening. On Tuesday I managed three perch from a little stream to just under 3lb, which was a fitting end to the season. It's been a very perchy year - I've had more good perch this year than all previous seasons put together.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nur fuer Dich, Patrizia: ab 15. Maerz beginnt eine Schonzeit fuer "coarse fish" das heisst alle Suesswasserfische ausser Salmoniden und Aalen. Diese gilt fuer alle Fluesse und manche Seen. Geangelt darf nur in kuenstlichen Gewaessern z. B. Kiesgruben und Schiffskanaelen. Erst am glohreichen 16. Juni duerfen wir arme Englaender wieder an die Fluesse! Deshalb das ganze Gerede von "the end of the season". Hoffentlich stoert Dich mein armseliges Deutsch nicht allzuviel!

Welcome to you Amodoro.

This is mostly an English speaking forum and I'm not sure how many will understand you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well I was determined to get out on the last day, so much so that I even managed to upset my new boss by refusing to do overtime. "I'm sorry but I have a really important appointment" If only he knew :) .

Anyway I decided that I could only manage a couple of hours so needed somewhere close. I headed down to my local river salwarpe. It's only a small river but where it joins the severn there is a lovely slack. I decided that I would concentrate on chub so took just a loaf of bread for bait. I followed the river down to the confluence, throwing bits of flake in to any likely looking swims. When I got to the severn I was very surprised to find the swim empty as it is very popular with pike anglers this time of year as the small fish pack in to the slack water away from the strong winter currents. I flicked a few pieces of flake over to the crease and followed this with a large piece of flake on a size 6 hook to 6lb line straight through. In the first 20 minutes I managed to pull the hook out of, what I can only guess were, 2 chub. After sitting there, biteless, for another half an hour I decided to move to one of my other baited swims, when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a large swirl just around the corner. It didn't look big enough to be a pike so I decided to give it a cast. I knocked up some mash and fed it just up stream of where I saw the fish. To cut a long story short I managed to catch my first ever river carp(or river pig as Seph calls them) It weighed 14lb 8oz and was in perfect condition. Here's a not so good photo. I didn't want to mess around setting up the camera so just took this quick pic.

14lb8ozriverpig.jpg

Effort equals reward!!

Thanks, Amodoro - nice name.

Sorry for the late reply, I was a bit confused and forgot that I post a question in this topic. :oops:

Now I know precisely, what the clossing season is about. Oh - oh - you poor - poor english man. I'm shure you find some other things to do. :whistling: - just joking. Anyway, you can still fish, that's good to know. Is clossing season every year?

Your german was very good. Please don't be mad at him Friends, he just wanted to be nice by writing in german - he is polite, he can't help it, he's british, and beeing polite is a good thing. Even though I can understand your point.

Edited by Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

To be honest the fight was so disappointing I thought it was a bream. It just came in without taking an inch of line, just swinging it's head from side to side. When I saw the head and back my first thought was a big chub.

Oh well its another one to add to the list of achievements :)

Effort equals reward!!