Closed season, what's the point?

Guest Ferret1959

The point of the close season is that it gives the fish some time to recover from the pressures exerted on them by modern angling practices

Actually, I'd say that the point of the closed season is to protect spawning fish from largely obsolete angling practices! A closed season to protect spawning fish makes more sense if your intention is to eat them.

I don't think the rivers need a periodic extended closed season; most of the rivers I fish are under absolutely minimal pressure compared to the stillwaters. Also, I think that if I felt that my activities were causing so much ecological damage that this was really necessary, I'd hang up my rods.

I like the closed season, but more for sentimental sporting reasons of tradition than for conservation reasons.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The closed season is a complete waste of time. Mainly designed to keep me off the water at probably the best time of year! :nono:

Since it has been abolished on stillwaters (except any stillwaters owned by any club I've ever belonged to) and canals I really doubt it has had any adverse effect on the fish. It might even have helped as they still get fed pounds of maggots and groundbait when people are actually fishing!

The river closed season is only in place for a few wooden rodded Chris Yates accolites to keep the "magic" of the 16th alive like when they were kids. Grow up. Hardly anyone fishes the rivers anyway!

Edited by Tim Kelly

Tim

I too like the close season.

As Steve said, little to do with conservation of stocks, (the spawning season changes from year to year).

But I like the feeling of the 16th, (an old sentimentalist). The banks have become overgrown again, it's almost like fishing a 'virgin' water. The flora and fauna have had a break, and I have a chance to do all those things I put off until later. It's a tradition I like, and if I had my way it would apply to stillwaters as well.

But some of the fish in todays waters, wouldn't survive on the natural food supply in there, it has to be topped up by anglers.

If the close season is ever abolished completely, then I feel it will be mainly for financial and selfish reasons, regardless of any other considerations.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

keep the "magic" of the 16th alive

As a very new convert to the sport, I'm not too happy about the close season, but that's just because I've only just recently started fishing rivers, and discovering the fun to be had! I'll just go back to the canal and my local pond, and try to continue learning more about float fishing.

I'm quite happy to stay away from the river until June 16th. It's something to look forward to. A bit like Christmas when you were a kid! I've booked the weekend off work for it.

Life would be so boring if we could always do what we want, when we want.

Janet

I too like the close season.

As Steve said, little to do with conservation of stocks, (the spawning season changes from year to year).

But I like the feeling of the 16th, (an old sentimentalist). The banks have become overgrown again, it's almost like fishing a 'virgin' water. The flora and fauna have had a break, and I have a chance to do all those things I put off until later. It's a tradition I like, and if I had my way it would apply to stillwaters as well.

But some of the fish in todays waters, wouldn't survive on the natural food supply in there, it has to be topped up by anglers.

If the close season is ever abolished completely, then I feel it will be mainly for financial and selfish reasons, regardless of any other considerations.

John.

Hi John,

I too believe in the closed season, but not in as far as stopping fishing altogether for three months. It makes me fish the lakes which I don't do much of during the open season.

I think it is good for the fish to lay off the bait put in for them for a few months...... a bit like a diet, it must be good for them to eat a bit of natural food occasionally.

Not sure on the financial side of things because there is two sides to this. If there was no close season the retailers I think would benefit, but in the close season the comercial lakes must benefit from the extra customers they get. It's a difficult one to call.

Andy

Guest tigger

Another Problem with the closed season on rivers is if you only fish rivers you only get nine months worth out of your rod license.

:wallbash:

The closed season is a complete waste of time. Mainly designed to keep me off the water at probably the best time of year! :nono:

Since it has been abolished on stillwaters (except any stillwaters owned by any club I've ever belonged to) and canals I really doubt it has had any adverse effect on the fish. It might even have helped as they still get fed pounds of maggots and groundbait when people are actually fishing!

The river closed season is only in place for a few wooden rodded Chris Yates accolites to keep the "magic" of the 16th alive like when they were kids. Grow up. Hardly anyone fishes the rivers anyway!

Tim Kelly ,i can't speak for everyoneso every year for the last severn years or so i've seen a massive incline in anglers every year so much so i refuse to fish certain stretches of river,so from my point of view on your comment is void!

As for the old closed season being no point/having a point. I am sick of discussing it personally i think waters esp rivers deserve a break ,not going into detail why, as am sick and tired of the same debate

Edited by chris mc

Chris - I think one thing that continues to fuel this particular debate is the absence of one shred of hard evidence that the closed season is beneficial to the fish as coarse angling is done in the UK these days.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President