September meeting with Defra?

Steve Coppolo

Thanks for your update Steve. There's nothing I didn't expect there though. There has been many years of discussion and debate and now a 3 years study. The outcome will be the same. Our hobby gets shafted whilst DEFRA dance to the tune of the NFFO.

The golden mile is out the window, The bass MLS down the pan, the BMP dead in the water. . The main positives (if they ever were positive) are all gone, but still they continue. So what will we as anglers get ??

We get : to watch the commercials handed a large cod quota increase, the rules of the bass nursery areas broken every day, Bass pair trawlers off our coasts, Illegal fishing for cod when the quota runs out, Mass dumping of cod so that larger fish worth more money can be brought ashore. I am facing having to register a kayak as a fishing vessel, many charter skippers are contemplating bankruptcy and small tackle shop owners are wondering if they will still be trading in a years time, and we get an RSA strategy full of condescending rubbish.

Makes you wonder if its time to hang up your gear for good.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge

GlenK

Unfortunately GlenK the powers that bee are already fully prepared.

Leon.

Glad to see you with your flat jacket on again. :D

You’re correct about life being to short, especially if you spend most of your time and resources fighting for something that you believe in. why spend time explaining to others who obviously don’t agree. :)

Regards

Leon.

Glad to see you with your flat jacket on again. :D

You’re correct about life being to short, especially if you spend most of your time and resources fighting for something that you believe in. why spend time explaining to others who obviously don’t agree. :)

Regards

Maybe, because he claims to represent those who don't agree?

Explaining is the very least he should be doing. Perhaps, one day, he will.

One step at a time, though. Listening would need to come first.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

We get : to watch the commercials handed a large cod quota increase, the rules of the bass nursery areas broken every day, Bass pair trawlers off our coasts, Illegal fishing for cod when the quota runs out, Mass dumping of cod so that larger fish worth more money can be brought ashore. I am facing having to register a kayak as a fishing vessel, many charter skippers are contemplating bankruptcy and small tackle shop owners are wondering if they will still be trading in a years time, and we get an RSA strategy full of condescending rubbish.

You were always one to the look on the bright side, Glenn.

What makes you think that we'll get off that lightly. :o

Hi Leon

I have listed my questions, most concerning the involvement of RSA representatives in a three year study to monitor anglers catches, so that you can provide a copy of your answers, given on a private forum, for the benefit of all those sea anglers that knew / still know nothing about it.

Seeing as nobody 'in the know' is likely to volunteer the details of the reported Ferre / CEFAS collaboration, maybe you, or the other NFSA / Angling Unity linked members (I will spare their blushes by not naming them individually), would be willing to put us in the picture?

What conservation benefit could possibly come as a result of RSA's involvement?

Are you opposed to angling quotas? Is Richard Ferre?

Do you think that any data to emanate from the study will be both accurate and representative?

Do you see a dire correlation between the move toward dialogue concerning restrictions upon RSA's and their current lack of support, often complete opposition, for conservation based campaigns?

How many anglers are involved in the study? Are they all NFSA / Angling Unity members? What regions do they represent?

Is it not true that advanced negotiations, regarding a levy on all freshwater licenses, to increase funding for the new AT, make it an inevitability that a sea angling license (tax), of no conservation benefit whatsoever, will be necessary to sustain sea angling's / RF's seat / voice / influence?

Do you think that anyone not out and out fighting something that is to the detriment of the Society's long term aim of 'more and bigger fish' and the right to enjoy sportfishing for them, by keeping vital details under wraps and colluding with the instigators, could rightfully be accused of treacherous behavior?

I hope I have the right thread ... doesn't matter really, because if you take all the guys on here and add it to the fellahs on WSF, the answer is 42.

All this is 'old hat' ... why don't folks who care about angling start to get together as a group?

I've got to say this, not least of all because I have met with Steviecops at Whitehall.

Not particularly relevant, but an example of U-turn politics.

You're all going nowhere, because the majority of anglers are working class folks who just have chosen to 'go fishin'' ... they don't give a damn about the modern politics involved.

We'll never have proper representation, because most of the proletariat have no idea how politics (social and economic) works ... and couldn't care less until **** hits fan.

I'm an ordinary fisherman and no interference will stop me being that.

Still, I'd like to remain on the right side of the laws.

If my adopted lifestyle (like the commercials) is threatened, I fight back with whatever I can muster.

Strangely(?), I will support NFSA/AT/BASS/SACN because they are the only bodies recognised by the 'powers that be'.

Give up on representation and you'll be eunuchs as far as regulation is concerned.

I'm sorry that I'm only speaking to less than 1% of sea anglers; so it makes no odds anyway!

<_<

PS I have no time for non-combatants.