Kenya report

Happy Dude

sorry about the typo in the title :rolleyes:

we went out to fish at malindi kenya for 2 weeks with 8 days booked

in the first 4 days we never took a picture as we never got anything different or bigger than we had before, dorado, sailfish, wahoo, kingfish, tuna etc with a few missed marlin, the luck wasn't in.

then on day 5 one of the 50lb stand up rods screamed off, marlin on....

kenya07002.jpg

as this was my first marlin and it was a big one on light gear angus the skipper used the boat aggressively backing down quickly while i wound in the slack, the fish had gone about 400 yards and went deep, i got it to the boat and it was leadered and tagged in about 30 minutes.

i was a bit disappointed as i though i was in for at least 1 hours fish as the fish was black marlin estimated at 300lb+ (150kg), still it was my first and the monkey was off my back

kenya07007.jpg

my best fight from a fish was a sailfish on my "spinning" rod, a 20lb class travel rod with a fixed spool reel with 30lb powerpro.

a while my mate was playing a sail another one appeared in the wash hacking at the teasers, i dropped an small dead bait on a circle hook on the end of its beak, it took it and went from 10' from the boat to 250 yards away in about 10 seconds, jumping and greyhounding all the way.

i asked angus not to back down on this one and i fought it all the way back to the boat in about 30 minutes, it was everywhere, deep, 10' in the air and all over the place.....fantastic

kenya07025.jpg

kenya07031.jpg

we had more shots at marlin including a blue at about 200lb which screamed off about 300 yards of line with it's head out the water and then came off.

plenty dorado, and some biggish yellowfin to 50lb+

kenya07035.jpg

we had a day inshore on the last day and got a load of kingfish and wahoo to 25lb on the spinning rod trolling rapalas, such fast fish on this gear...

we went deep on heavier gear for giant trevally, i had the first one about 50lb+, davy had one at 60lb+, then i hooked the biggest GT i have ever connected with, i fought it on my skate rod and reel with 80lb braid for 15 minutes and never got 1 inch of line back before the sharks ate it, i reckon 100lb+, my arms are 6" longer after the strain i was putting on this fish....lol

you can see the shark bite on this fish, davy's bigger one had bigger marks

kenya07038.jpg

other fish included some of the biggest rainbow runners angus the skipper has seen for years, i got 3 at about 10-12lb, loads of dorado to 30lb, a 25lb barracuda, 14 sailfish between us and several yellowfin tuna around the 50lb mark.

it would be nice to fish these species with lighter 20lb class gear, but there are some VERY big fish out there and sure as fate, you run light tackle you will get wasted by more fish than you land

a couple more pics

davys near 100lb sailfish

RIMG0325-1.jpg

GT

RIMG0326.jpg

yellowfin

RIMG0313.jpg

bull dorado

RIMG0304.jpg

roll on next year.........

Edited by Happy Dude

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Excellent report matey :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: A great holiday by the sound of it :clap2:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

ex :thumbs::thumbs: cellent report there les , not in the least bit jealous !!

:clap2: No, nor me, NOT! Great report and it looks like the sun shone for you. Would have loved to of done it, I'm getting withdrawal symptons. I 've not done any proper fishing for a year or so now. Trouble is, if I retire to have more time to fish, will I still be able to afford to fish. Problems, questions, never answers.:clap2:

Some cracking pics there Les :)

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

Les, I am so sorry you had a rotten trip mate.. :headhurt: .and the weather looked awful.... :yucky: but look on the bright side,...at least you didnt blank!!!! :blink: :blink:

Hopefully, you will get a decent fish at LA :D :D and afterwards, in the pub, you can regale us with tales of the "One that got away"....... ;) ;)

I'm really looking forward to it !!! :D :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Les, I am so sorry you had a rotten trip mate.. :headhurt: .and the weather looked awful.... :yucky: but look on the bright side,...at least you didnt blank!!!! :blink: :blink:

Hopefully, you will get a decent fish at LA :D :D and afterwards, in the pub, you can regale us with tales of the "One that got away"....... ;) ;)

I'm really looking forward to it !!! :D :D

norrie....

i could tell you everything but then i would have to kill you :thumbs:

i have 1 story i'm not telling many people, but for you i'll make an exception when you are eating your dinner B):yucky: :yucky:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

norrie....

i could tell you everything but then i would have to kill you :thumbs:

i have 1 story i'm not telling many people, but for you i'll make an exception when you are eating your dinner B):yucky: :yucky:

That`ll be alright Les. `Cos looking at your face in the pics, the meal will be on you!! :headhurt:

Edited by spasor

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Top report you lucky so n so. Looks like a superb trip mate, well done. Have to see if LA is up to that standard lol.

Neal

The SKink

neal,

i had a taste of the kind of fishing i'll be getting at LA on sunday, spent 7 hours fishing off oban and got ZERO!!!!!!!!

well, a few wee spurs, my mate was on the phone all the time, he got 5 skate from 100lb to 191lb.

looking forward to the banter and guiness drinking :thumbs:

not the fishing :yucky:

saying that, if the weather is spot on i know where i'll be fishing, and it's not off the west pier :P

WalkingPinhead.gif