keep nets ?

carphead07

hiya

i was watching Matt Hayes the other day on discovery real time and he was using a keep net and i wanted to find out a bit about keep nets and how to use them.

the only thing i no about keep nets are that they keep fish in them to weigh in at the end.

i was jest wondering if any one has any other information on keep nets

thanks

mike Finlay

mike finlay the carpinator

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959
hiya

i was watching Matt Hayes the other day on discovery real time and he was using a keep net and i wanted to find out a bit about keep nets and how to use them.

the only thing i no about keep nets are that they keep fish in them to weigh in at the end.

i was jest wondering if any one has any other information on keep nets

thanks

mike Finlay

This may be of use.

Look.

I think it fair to say that most enlightened anglers don't actually own a keep net nowadays!

I wouldn't think it was fair to say that at all! I may hardly ever use it but I do own one and wouldn't hesitate to use it if I felt so inclined (rules permitting).

I wouldn't think it was fair to say that at all! I may hardly ever use it but I do own one and wouldn't hesitate to use it if I felt so inclined (rules permitting).

Yeah i own one also and use it about 2 a year if that on commercial fisheries ,just out of curiosity to see if i could still keep up with match weights.(ex match angler)

I do on occassions use a keepnet.

Maybe some consider me 'less enlightened' than themselves.

If I was as insular as that, then I could mention many aspects of angling that could be (to my mind) practised by the 'less enlightened' among us. But, decrying someone for using a legal method that doesn't appeal to one personally, is one of the reasons why anglers will never be able to unite against those that would like to see an end to it.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I use my keepnet whene ever i get the chance. I own for for all aspects of fishing. I have 2 canal nets and 2 carp nets. Some people havesaid that they dont like keepnets as they dont like the idea of so much fished cramed into a net. I dont really like this idea so i do use 2 nets for siver fish and carp, or 2 when i know i may catch alot of carp so i spread them in each net.

Infact i dont like waters that ban keepnets on there water when pleasure fishing as at the end i like to see what i have caught, if im spending £8 to fish i would atleat like to see what i've got to show for it.

84854438.png

Seems that I have hit a raw nerve with one or two of you, that was not the intention. Sorry if that seemed that way. However, I think that the inescapable truth is that less and less anglers now use a keepnet, prefering to return their catch with a minimum of handling. Got to say that I can not see the need, outside of match fishing, for a keepnet.