Next Doors Cat

Guest Rabbit

Guest Rabbit

Some of you may have noticed that I have been posting my well thought out postings earlier than usual just lately. The reason is that next door (Teachers) are on holiday (Again) and have left there newly acquired Kitten Cat to its own devices with the young girl over the road popping in every day to feed it.

But the cat had decided to adopt us, he starts the day at dawn by miawowing at the back door,and actually shaking the door. Being a bit of a softie, I let him in and give him milk and my dogs Chum Mixers. BIG mistake I know, and he know has the run of the house, the dog is kept of in another room , and the Cockatiel (18 years) is really stressed.

We have never had a cat, I am a bit allergic to cats hair, but this fella has really become a bit of a friend. Anyway the neighbours are back to day, and I will hand him back, but somehow I feel that is not the end of it .... Cats eh?

Edited by Rabbit

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have never had a cat, I am a bit allergic to cats hair, but this fella has really become a bit of a friend. Anyway the neighbours are back to day, and I will hand him back, but somehow I feel that is not the end of it .... Cats eh?

Cats do tend to be quite mercenary and will hook up with anybody who feeds them. The only answer is to get a cat of your own, which will then keep the other cat off its patch - although it doesn't always work out like that :D

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Best type of cat is a dead one

hate the things

a certain motoring liquid and milk will sort them out :thumbs:

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Rabbit

Sounds to me like you have adopted yourself a cat

Les middy

What a nice person. you are!!!!

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Contrary to some of the postings here, cats - IF FED PROPERLY - do not go hunting for birds!

The instinct to hunt only kicks in when an animal is hungry. I have two cats, one old Male who is now 20 years old, and another (female) who is 6. Neither of them have ever had to go hungry as there is ALWAYS food (wet and dry) and plenty of water available to them. I have never seen either of my cats show the slightest interest in hunting! I have seen my 6 year old watch a mouse (shrew?) run across the garden and not even bother to get up and investigate!

Cats choose their owners, not the other way round. Cats can be left at home (with someone to feed and water them) when going on holiday, unlike a dog!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Without wishing to upset anybody I have kept cats in the past and currently several of my neighbours currently keep them. Whilst there is always the odd exception I can promise you that regardless of how well fed they are cats will hunt and kill other animals including birds and the fish in my pond. It is in their nature. They are also in the habit if given the chance of using neighbouring gardens as litter trays which can be pretty damn annoying to people who choose not to keep any sort of pet.

It is an acknowledged fact that domestic cats are the main reason behind the decline in several species of garden bird.

Luckily I have by a variety of methods managed to persuade the local cat population that my garden is strictly out of bounds and not a good place to be seen in by myself or my dog and so tend not to get pestered by them anymore but I know of other people who have had quite serious problems with cats entering their property.

A Hammond

i have a maine coone and he is very nice,but when next doors cat comes out `he chases it back into the catflap (with force)

he has been seen standing next to then catflap then suddenly bash out with his paw and broke the outerflap with one shot!!(and this was because he didnt get the nextdoors cat intime)

he is just like a dog and he will follow me anywhere and at command he would attack anything i pointed at(cats etc)

he`s good with dogs as we lived on a farm where they had several big labs.

he spent most of his time in the grain shed!!(i can only guess at the body count he had while hunting in there:)weasal`s too.

but mostly rats/mice

he never brought any pheasants home:(typical:)

my other cat came from a broken home and she whines like you wouldnt believe!!i can put her out and she will be back at the front/back door 1 minute later crying and crying crying:)she loves the nextdoors catflap and she uses it to eat the neighbours cat dry while sleeping on thier sofa.

i want a doberman next:)but i do love my cats/ferret/rabbit/(not the gerbils x2):):)

rabbit `most times the cat will go back to a routine of being a pain `too` the owners but it will always come over your house for treats:)enjoy it:)

well untill it digs up your prize plants:)

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

Without wishing to upset anybody I have kept cats in the past and currently several of my neighbours currently keep them. Whilst there is always the odd exception I can promise you that regardless of how well fed they are cats will hunt and kill other animals including birds and the fish in my pond. It is in their nature. They are also in the habit if given the chance of using neighbouring gardens as litter trays which can be pretty damn annoying to people who choose not to keep any sort of pet.

It is an acknowledged fact that domestic cats are the main reason behind the decline in several species of garden bird.

Luckily I have by a variety of methods managed to persuade the local cat population that my garden is strictly out of bounds and not a good place to be seen in by myself or my dog and so tend not to get pestered by them anymore but I know of other people who have had quite serious problems with cats entering their property.

Can't disagree with any of that. :thumbs:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2937760.stm

quote:

The Mammal Society - which conducted the survey - says cats cut a swathe through the nation's wildlife, estimating that some 300 million animals meet their maker under a cat's paw every year.

Quote:

Cats are solitary predatory hunters. People ask why they kill when they are clearly well-fed - but a cat's motivation to hunt is quite separate from its desire to satisfy hunger."

Even with a full stomach, a cat cannot resist the stimuli of prey passing nearby, says Ms Heath.

"It doesn't make sense for a cat to wait until it's hungry to catch food - there may be none around then. Better to hunt when there's the opportunity and hide the food away."

There are an estimated 10,000,000 cats in the UK. If each cat kills one songbird a month that is 120 million protected songbirds a year. If each cat kills one songbird a week that is 720,000,000 dead protected songbirds a year.

Some cats may kill very few, others will kill many more so what do you think is the average ?

We have a lot of songbirds in our garden, we also have very few(OK none) cats

Coincidence?

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

he has been seen standing next to then catflap then suddenly bash out with his paw and broke the outerflap with one shot!!(and this was because he didnt get the nextdoors cat intime)

One of our small female cats does that; the neighbour's big tom chases her in through our catflap and she immediately turns tail and batters him when he tries to follow. :D